Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a Thermostat to a Fan.

Options
  • 10-12-2008 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Howdy all , just in the process of trying something out at the moment.
    Can I connect a Fan/Vent to a thermostat ,so that it activates when the temperature reaches a high one.
    I often wire thermostats ,but not sure if the link will work the opposite way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

No problem, just make sure the thermostat has a single pole changeover switch - it should have three terminals - Normally Closed (NC), Common and Normally Open (NO). The NO and common terminals will make when the temperature rises to the setpoint and switch on the fan. Also check that the thermostat has a current rating to suit the fan motor. Unlikely to be a problem in a domestic setting but some industrial fans have large motors and a properly designed motor control center (MCC) would be required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Good man ,thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

Pete67 wrote: »
    Also check that the thermostat has a current rating to suit the fan motor

you need to be careful here - its not just the running current you should be concerned with - the contacts in the thermostat may not be rated to open a highly inductive load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'll check the thermostat I have , haven't bought the fan yet but I only need to get a small one.
    It will probably be a standard 13amp.

Advertisement