Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landing fees for a Zeppelin

Options
  • 10-12-2008 10:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As I was watching a Zeppelin (no, not a blimp, an honest-to-god German-made thing with a rigid frame) landing out my window this morning (I work at Oakland Airport), my mind, as it does, began to wander a bit, filling myself with multiple questions.

Firstly, it did not do a standard runway approach. I've seen plenty of helicopters land on runway-equipped airports, and they do a standard approach over the runway threshold. This one just came in from the side to the ramp, before turning to face the wind. This is probably for the best, I can just imagine Approach Control announcing "Zeppelin 05Bravo, call two-mile-final, cleared for landing. Everyone else, get back to me in fifteen minutes." Still it would have been interesting to have a scanner.

The other question is, how do they work out landing fees? Usually it's for aircraft over a certain weight, due to the damage they do to runways, ramps, and so on. But this thing does no damage to either, it just floats there.

Went on to the next question. Just how much does a Zeppelin weigh? Bearing in mind that mass and weight at two different things, I wonder how all those calculations work for balance, fees, and so on.

(As you can imagine, I'm a little bored)

NTM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Hmmm damned if i know, but ive seen Robinson R44 and R22 Helicopters do non standard approaches at Carnmore and i know the fee's do fluctuate alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

If you're that bored you can call Oakland airfield ops on (510) 563-336.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If you're that bored you can call Oakland airfield ops on (510) 563-336.

I said I was bored, I didn't say that they were. And I believe you missed a '1'

(and that number has nothing to do with air traffic, it's literally airfield ops, such as access control for doors and security patrols etc, not aircraft ops.)

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

got any photos ?

Airships don't really ' land ' as such do they ? they are moored...

Interesting questions, if I owned an airfield they would be free ! .... think of the visitors comign to see them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

'Oh the humanity':eek:
    Interesting thought. I imagine there was some head scratching in Oakland on that very topic. As it's lighter than air. It must be free!

I suggest your best bet is to book a flight and ask the crew at the time. They are offering flights.

http://zeppelintours.com/#/airshipflightprices/4525574536

Now there's an idea for a Christmas present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Landing fees are usually calculated by the tonne in most cases

A Zepplin would not make use of a runway though most probably. I'd say it will only incurr parking fees

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Slightly off topic base, but players of the game World of Warcrafy should be queuing up to take rides on those Zeppelins (an ingame mode of transport).

Advertisement