Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frost, Ice and Possible Snow Showers this Weekend (13th-16th Dec 08)

Options
  • 10-12-2008 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Models are now starting to upgrade the chance of a serious snow event for the SouthWest of Ireland this Saturday.
    The latest 18z run has temps of 0-2 all day Sat and Sun with -7 showing Sat night over Kerry
    The beeb 5 dayer is even on board if you check out Sat for Cork airport

Will good ol Gerry mention the word shleeet:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just looked at the beeb 1 just there with Rob McElwee and precip charts indicating rain over Ireland even preceeding the front but 'Heavy snow' warning for UK yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Did you not see the West of Ireland laden with snow.
    This event (like all great snow events in history) has popped out of the blue.
    Im certain the West will see heavy snow on Saturday.
    As is the norm the Irish Met will lag behind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

uk_cloudrain_08121400.jpg

Indeed... the BBC have snow for Kerry... looks kinda pretty!

Did you not see the West of Ireland laden with snow.
    This event (like all great snow events in history) has popped out of the blue.
    As is the norm the Irish Met will lag behind
    no?? Do you want to post what you have seen from the 18z so we all see what you are referring to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Models are now starting to upgrade the chance of a serious snow event for the SouthWest of Ireland this Saturday.
    The latest 18z run has temps of 0-2 all day Sat and Sun with -7 showing Sat night over Kerry

-7c?? That's mighty cold for the SW

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    uk_cloudrain_08121400.jpg

Indeed... the BBC have snow for Kerry... looks kinda pretty!
    Is this the west laden with snow. Look at the precip in blue over NI and at -1C??? or am i reading something wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i saw what he/she is talking about too, and i'm confused. the question is does that stay where it is or come in over land because i remember a couple of weeks ago the bbc charts showed loads of snow about 200 miles to the north west of Ireland and of course nothing came of that.

Snowbie wrote: »
    no?? Do you want to post what you have seen from the 18z so we all see what you are referring to :)
    I dunno how to post links but it shows heavy ppn moving South over Western Ireland on Saturday with temps at 1C, sub 528 dam air and -5 uppers.
    It's a certainty if the charts dont change but mostly for the West and South

Couple this with the beebs forecast just gone and the 5 dayer showing snow for Cork
    Type in Cork Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

These are the charts that JS is referrring to (in the next post below)

SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

The charts which present a risk of wintriness to many parts at the weekend, based on GFS 12Z.

uksnowrisk.png

Followed by this one:

uksnowrisk.png

And this chart:

uksnowrisk.png

And Sunday Afternoon

uksnowrisk.png

And Saturday Night Maxmium Temps:

ukmaxtemp.png

• Advertisement

Just looked at the beeb 1 just there with Rob McElwee and precip charts indicating rain over Ireland even preceeding the front but 'Heavy snow' warning for UK yet again.

:confused:
    but on the precipitation chart for late saturday it showed tons of snow just off the west coast of ireland.

Rtavn8417.png

The -7 is there allright. Funny how the GFS is only showing this up now...

I dunno how to post links but it shows heavy ppn moving South over Western Ireland on Saturday with temps at 1C, sub 528 dam air and -5 uppers.
    It's a certainty if the charts dont change but mostly for the West and South

Couple this with the beebs forecast just gone and the 5 dayer showing snow for Cork
    Type in Cork Airport
    Of course when there is a chance of snow, i always sit and take note but with the variables you posted above maybe are marginal for lower ground. The lads in Kerry at height may have something better. Here is the precip chart but snowline going for 200m atm. Might be of interest closer the time

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20081210;time=18;ext=66;file=ukprec;sess=0e56a49b38bb22432bd39b2ca43b0155;

it will be interesting to hear what the RTE radio forecaster has to say at 12.

:confused:
    but on the precipitation chart for late saturday it showed tons of snow just off the west coast of ireland.
    Yea seen that but that usually indicates showers :)

Edit: the fax has series of troughs in the polar maritime airstream.

PPVK89.png

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

The beeb 5 dayer is even on board if you check out Sat for Cork airport

Will good ol Gerry mention the word shleeet:D

JS ,no offence mate ,but snow and -7 in Kerry , in Dec , naw , i'll believe it when im shivering in it .........:)

Yea seen that but that usually indicates showers :)

still a bit confused. sorry.:o
    do you mean snow showers or do you mean the precipitation would be in the form of showers of rain once they hit land?

if that's the case, one thing i don't understand is, why would the bbc chart be laden with snow when it's from that direction(off the west coast), also given that the atlantic usually would modify any cold airstream from a westerly or north westerly direction enough to ensure the air temperatures would be too high for snow off the west coast of ireland. i know sometimes we get snow if the source is way up in a cold region of the north atlantic(like greenland) but this doesn't seem to be the case this time.

The cold is there allright as the very strong diving jet pushes this down from Greenland over a very short spell of time = less modification...

Rtavn7815.png

Also, a virtually uninturrupted stream of sub zero dew point air...

Rtavn7810.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Is this snow event only going to effect southwestern Ireland, or will other parts be effected as well?

Areas west of a line from Derry to Wexford look like being affected... although, the charts are only showing this today, so the finer details will not be seen until Friday night I would imagine. It could turn out to be nothing yet - hence the word possible in the thread title.

I also suggest that the thread title be changed to Saturday Night/Sunday Morning...

• Advertisement

still a bit confused. sorry.:o
    do you mean snow showers or do you mean the precipitation would be in the form of showers of rain once they hit land?
    That graphic indicated snow showers and the fax i posted would back that up with the troughs or organised bands(subject to change of course)
    if that's the case, one thing i don't understand is, why would the bbc chart be laden with snow when it's from that direction(off the west coast), also given that the atlantic usually would modify any cold airstream from a westerly or north westerly direction enough to ensure the air temperatures would be too high for snow off the west coast of ireland. i know sometimes we get snow if the source is way up in a cold region of the north atlantic(like greenland) but this doesn't seem to be the case this time.
    Tbh, thats the first time i have seen the graphic indicating the whiteness this far south this year out west in the Atlantic. What usually tends to happen, when a trough moves through in polar maritime air, the air tends to chill more behind it. As the air is sourced more GL, the upper air or cold air aloft would create instability over warmer seas and some potent troughs arise.

As with intensity of a shower, the precipitive cooling would most likely result in snow reaching lower levels even in +4C air temp to begin with. Most likely the UKMO model recognises that and produced the graphic for it albeit not accurately i think. That graphic just seems to plaster shed loads of snow out west of Ireland indicating showers and the nature of showers is you just don't know where they will fall. No frontal stuff is charted around for that time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

got any interesting fact or or figure or charts or maps on heat bloom reducing snow sticking in dublin etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Will hold you too that. :)

06z coming out and still showing heavy snow for the Western half of the country. East looks mainly dry

06z coming out and still showing heavy snow for the Western half of the country. East looks mainly dry
    I don't know what GFS you are looking at but if it is the same as mine,I think you need glasses.
    -5 850 air off a maratime atlantic [polar maratime air] with temps of 3 to 7 c...
    Thats rain unless you are climbing Mt Brandon or Carrantouhill.

Rtavn542.png

Rtavn5417.png

Where did you get the 3 -7?????

7 on the coast-it's the undercut of that surface air that really kills it.Always repeat always when looking for snow look at the upstream surface air temp.
    3c in clare and 2 c well inland 4c in kerry 2c in NW Cork with at best 0c dewpoints.

It's all there on the map.

-5c 850 air is not enough for snow in Ireland below 2500ft.

Come on now-be a tad realistic :)

I would be confident that everywhere above about 500feet will get snow.
    It may not lie, though i think it will.
    I'm in Cork under the 2 anyway:D

Of course it could stay dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

http://www.snowathome.com/index.php

How much would it cost to build a snow machine here in Ireland? Compressor and all that sh1te?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Possible Major Snow Event? I just don't see anything even close to that. Just looks like rain and maybe a bit of sleet on high ground.... :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement