Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frost, Ice and Possible Snow Showers this Weekend (13th-16th Dec 08)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Less precip around on this run... all other ingredients are still in tact though. The intensification of the Scandy High and the Greenland High caught my attention, some differences after only 54 hours compared to the 12z.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Latest bbc 5 dayer for Cork Airport which is just out has us under snow and 2C for Sat.
    Also showing no higher than 4 out to Tuesday.
    OK it might snow it may not just frustrates me so much that the 'S' word cannot be mentioned by you know who

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

WC out of the country, its a banker :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

Yet they got snow in New Orleans today. :mad:

My sis better not phone me if it snows in Bristol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I see the met are mentioning the East coast for wintry showers too
    SATURDAY NIGHT will be bitterly cold, in a light to moderate northerly wind. Temperatures inland could fall as low as minus 5 degrees. There will be a widespread sharp to severe ground frost, with icy stretches on untreated roads. Wintry showers of hail, sleet or even snow will affect western, northern and possibly eastern coastal counties, but further inland it will be mainly dry. SUNDAY will stay very cold and wintry with temperatures in low single figures at best, in a moderate to fresh northerly wind. There will be sunny spells, with further wintry showers mainly in northern, western and eastern coastal counties. Frost will be widespread and severe on SUNDAY NIGHT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

met.ie forecast for tomorrow:

However wintry showers will affect the north and west later in the night - some heavy by morning. Winds will ease and it'll turn very cold. A widespread sharp ground will form with icy patches developing and some patchy fog also around dawn. Lowest temperatures will range minus 2 to +3 degrees.

So it looks like Saturday morning could be our best chance for some snow further inland. It seems the BBC forecast was spot on when it progged snow showers to the west and southwest of Ireland a couple of days ago

Lirange wrote: »
    Yet they got snow in New Orleans today. :mad:

My sis better not phone me if it snows in Bristol

lol was in Seattle last week and was watchin the Weather channel and they had snow as far south as Atlanta Georgia, how far north are we again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭hawkwing

They are getting more concerned :
    Issued at 12 December 2008 - 12:05
    Weather Advisory
    Bitterly cold this weekend and Monday.Very severe frosts and freezing fog both Saturday and Sunday night with the frost and fog slow to clear by day.
    Scattered hail and snow showers likely at times in the coastal counties of the southwest, west and north but mostly dry elsewhere

finally!!!!! i'm glad to report there has been a couple of snow showers since 10 am:cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

finally!!!!! i'm glad to report there has been a couple of snow showers since 10 am:cool::cool::cool:
    congrats nacho!! your first snow this winter.

For me the wait continues and looking at the latest radar those showers are not making it anywhere near inland!

• Advertisement

danni2 wrote: »
    congrats nacho!! your first snow this winter.

For me the wait continues and looking at the latest radar those showers are not making it anywhere near inland!

thanks. who knows one or two of the showers might penetrate futher inland yet. if not your snow day will come soon enough:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

just had a snow shower west of donegal town in the last hour, only lasted about 5 minutes,

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Typical, am out of the country again.

Flying in to cork at 5pm, should I expect a fun drive back?

eta: Weather forecast in the UK had persistent snow for Cork today from 11am onwards to this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

ch750536 wrote: »
    Typical, am out of the country again.

Flying in to cork at 5pm, should I expect a fun drive back?

eta: Weather forecast in the UK had persistent snow for Cork today from 11am onwards to this evening.

cork city and the surrounding area is fine, dry, crisp and cold. the kids are very disappointed

and hi from a first poster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Hi first post also.
    Hope all that are hoping for snow get some. I remember what that was like. Been living near Aberdeen Scotland last few years and i can tell ye snow loses its appeal pretty quickly!!!
    Were having a really cold winter here so far, three significant snowfalls and seems like its frozen every night since late october. Coldest i have seen this year in car temp gauge is -9, that was last weekend. Raining last night and today but temps getting down again later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Reporting in from kerry,Had sleet about 2 hours ago,but no serious snow :(
    Anyone know if its more likely later/tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I can see a dusting of snow on the Clare Hills/Burren across the Bay from Rinville

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

Chuileog wrote: »
    Hi first post also.
    Hope all that are hoping for snow get some. I remember what that was like. Been living near Aberdeen Scotland last few years and i can tell ye snow loses its appeal pretty quickly!!!
    Were having a really cold winter here so far, three significant snowfalls and seems like its frozen every night since late october. Coldest i have seen this year in car temp gauge is -9, that was last weekend. Raining last night and today but temps getting down again later today.

i was there in october at john wood and couldn't believe how cold it was even for that time of the year:eek: nice part of the world aberdeen (as someone originally from essex)

clouding over here now......... nope suns out again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Reporting in from kerry,Had sleet about 2 hours ago,but no serious snow :(
    Anyone know if its more likely later/tomorrow?

Yeh same here, we had about 2 good heavy snow showers earlier, but none is sticking on lower ground, but there is a covering of snow up on the hills and mountains at the moment. Wether it is cold enough for the higher now to last, i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I see the Met's forecast for leinster mentions wintry showers on the coast
    Tonight

Very cold and frosty. Icy stretches on untreated ground. Isolated showers in northern areas and eastern coastal counties. Risk of freezing fog patches.

Tomorrow

Cold. Sunshine in most places. Wintry showers in the north and east. Frost slow to clear and persisting in some spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

A light covering of snow here in the last hour , i'd say any snow from now on will settle even at lower levels :D

temp 0.2c atm

Well well , heavy snow shower atm , settling , could be an interesting night .........:D

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Well well , heavy snow shower atm , settling , could be an interesting night .........:D

Yup its a pretty decent shower outside at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pics or it didn't happen!! ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen!! ;)

Yep no probs , pics to follow later , having too much fun atm :D:D:D

what about this for a weather report :

0.2c ........fog.........light snow.......:eek:

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hope those wintry showers materialise on the east cost. I cant remember the last time i seen proper snow falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Yep no probs , pics to follow later , having too much fun atm :D:D:D

what about this for a weather report :

0.2c ........fog.........light snow.......:eek:

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lucky fcuker!

Yeh it looks like it is sticking up there, how are the roads..

Yeh it looks like it is sticking up there, how are the roads..

T K roads ok , enough traffic to keep em clear , but everywhere else covered .

As i speak its calm, thick fog and snowflakes just drifting by .

temp 0.2c
    dp 0.0c
    wet bulb 0.2c

• Advertisement

well, the fun is over now. none of the snow stuck at lower levels but the mountains are white. i'm not complaining about it not sticking as i was just very happy to see some snow:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement