Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

library fines

Options
  • 10-12-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

ok just a shot in the dark here. last week my mother was rushed to hospital in a critical condition. my hometown is 3 hours away and when i was informed of what had happened came home straight away. she's stable now - thank god- and i was told i would be allowed defer my exams until after christmas given the circumstances. however i had two short term library books with me when i went home, and have had them with me ever since. i must owe about a 100e (and counting) on them at this stage!!! does anyone have any advice on how i can get out of paying for this??? i wonder does the library have any policy for people in circumstances like i am(??) i am still in my hometown.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

Glad to hear your Mum's ok.

There are signs up in the library saying that if you have SLC books due back on the day of an exam and incur fines on them to speak to someone at the desk, as the fines may be waived.

I know your circumstances are a little different - but they are a lot more genuine and serious. I would expect that if you contact them everything would be sorted out.

And if not....fire off a few emails to VP for Students, Welfare Officer etc. Shouldn't have to resort to that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

I was in a similar situation before. You just explain it at the information desk and there is no charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 caz88

brilliant - thank you. i contacted the library and told them my situation. they said that if i bring up a doctor's note when i get back to dublin i can have my fines scrapped. that's one less thing for me to worry about anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Glad to hear your mam's okay

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 caz88

thank you muchly. i've even decided to do my last two exams. better to get as much as i can out of the way than having to worry about them over christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

In a similar situation myself, just had a bag stolen from me on the train this evening (I fell asleep and when I woke up it was gone). I had a library book in that bag. I presume I'm going to have to pay for a replacement book now. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

pithater1 wrote: »
    In a similar situation myself, just had a bag stolen from me on the train this evening (I fell asleep and when I woke up it was gone). I had a library book in that bag. I presume I'm going to have to pay for a replacement book now. Is that correct?

30 euro I think it is. That will be waived if you can get a garda statement though.

Advertisement