Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Value in Tv's and Washing Machines

Options
  • 10-12-2008 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi guys,

Gonna browse around Galway for a 40" LCD and mid range Washing machine. Just wondering what are my options and who are the best to deal with in price and after sales service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

best thing i did was reserve online at Currys and then go and pick it up in Enniskillen, saved e400 doing that than getting it in Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco are giving 30% back on clubcard on all electricals this weekend
    Don't think they'd have the best after-sales service though.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

MattKid wrote: »
    best thing i did was reserve online at Currys and then go and pick it up in Enniskillen, saved e400 doing that than getting it in Galway

Is there an issue anymore with vhf/uhf when you buy up north. I plan to head north again soon so that sound lika a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Is there an issue anymore with uvf/uff when you buy up north. I plan to head north again soon so that sound lika a plan.
    rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I used Peter Murphy in Westside for a washing machine last year. Found them excellent.

I think that they now have a new TV section open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is there an issue anymore with vhf/uhf when you buy up north. I plan to head north again soon so that sound lika a plan.
    Can be. Some models seem to enable or disable support for VHF depending on what country you specify in the setup while others do not support it at all. Could use the old VCR modulation trick but obviously would be better to do it directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

If you're going to spend a few euro on a good tv then you would be better off buying up north or online. I just spent €800 on a tv (including shipping), bought from UK website, same model in Currys €1,099!!!

But if you want to buy from a local shop I have heard that newish place in Wellpark retal centre (Expert Electrical?) are fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 chipsbebo

Thanks guys! Was considering currys or D.I.D? Heard they opened a new shop in galway? Any1 any experiences in either?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

chipsbebo wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Was considering currys or D.I.D? Heard they opened a new shop in galway? Any1 any experiences in either?

Was there yesterday. They are advertising a sale on an LCD I would be interested in, down from 1499 to 1249 (save 250). Problem is I haven't seen it anywhere else for more than 1299, including D.I.D. Motto - their Was prices are dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

Sconsey wrote: »
    But if you want to buy from a local shop I have heard that newish place in Wellpark retal centre (Expert Electrical?) are fairly good.

Don't know about TVs or washing machines but Martina (I think?) in that place in Wellpark gave me a good deal on a freezer a few months ago. Saw the same one in Italy afterwards for only about €20 cheaper. Just be sure to ask for a discount (and make sure they give you free delivery)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Was there yesterday. They are advertising a sale on an LCD I would be interested in, down from 1499 to 1249 (save 250). Problem is I haven't seen it anywhere else for more than 1299, including D.I.D. Motto - their Was prices are dubious.
    Irish special offers are a joke. They put the price up to something ridiculus and then knock up to 50% off, which only brings it back to it's RRP. That's a fact. I saw an air hockey table in whatever sports shop is in Clairemorris for €70, Half price! According to them. In smyths next door it was €75 and no special offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

On the D.I.D website it says that if you find the exact same product cheaper anywhere in the Republic they will give you double the price difference in vouchers.Sounds like a challenge but based on that alone you'd think their pricing should be the most competitive for a bricks and mortar store.

You could have a look on www.powercity.ie too.They deliver outside of Dub for €40.

Otherwise I'd say wait for the January sales if you're intent on buying in Galway.

Advertisement