Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door Handle made hole in wall.

Options
  • 10-12-2008 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All,

Last night after being in the shower I slipped on the floor (Have glossy flooring) and went flying into the door, which went into the wall which has now created a hole where the start and end of the door handle is.

I need to get it sorted out pretty quick. Does anyone know anyone in the Northside area that would be able to fix it up. All plasterers I have looked into so far do not seem interested as it's too small a job but I really need to get this fixed.

If not is there anywhere near you can get door handle bumpers, to hide it? I know youcan get door knob bumpers, but these are not wide enough.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why not fill it with polyfilla or similar and paint over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

shove newspaper in behind the hole and polyfill it. you'll get it at any hardware shop or atlantic etc. you can get door stops that can be fixed to the floor or ones that fit to the base of the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to DIY from C & P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Newspaper might do the trick, but it might push back into the wall when you try fill the hole with filler.

Another trick is to tidy up the hole made a little, take the rough edge and the lose stuff away (I assume its plaster board?). Cut a rectangle of heavy card or such, make a hole in it and draw a piece of sting through it. Put some glue around the edge of the rectangle card, slip it into the hole, then use the string to pull the card tight against the hole until such time the it sticks and you release the string, just snip it off or push it back into the gap. Then you should have a relatively strong base to fill up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Why not spray cavity cause by hole with foam filler? Ssets in a few minutes, trim to size and sand down when set. Perfect finish and touch up with paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Small holes are easily filled using the crumpled paper method and then filling; I'd suggest a heavy quality paper (brown paper, cement bag etc) and then fill. If you have it, it's a good idea to prime the edge of the hole with diluted PVA. The alternative method of using an offcut of plasterboard within the hole is really only necessary for larger holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Why not spray cavity cause by hole with foam filler? Ssets in a few minutes, trim to size and sand down when set. Perfect finish and touch up with paint.

this is what i would do

Advertisement