Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure problem with Gas Heating

Options
  • 10-12-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭

Hi, Our heating is off the mains but lately we are having a problem with the pressure of our gas boiler. It keeps going up above 3. It creeps up over a 24 hour period from about 2 to 3. I was talking to someone and they said that what must be happening is that the gatevalve in the hotpress is not closing properly and letting a small amount of water drip in slowly increasing the pressure. What I have to do every evening is drain some water out of one of the upstairs radiators to bring the pressure back down to 2. I was told to get a 1/2 inch blanking cap and a 1/2 inch stop end, and stick these on the pipe in the hot press and this will solve my problem. Is this the best course of action?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stillbornalive

Ideally the best thing to do is replace the gate valve and fit a no return valve as well. Pending on your boiler your pressure should be about 1.4 bar when it is not in operation. It will rise as the system heats up and expands but if it reaches over 3 bar the the safety valve will release the pressure and your system will vent.

Over time Gate Valve will fail ideally i would fit some sort of lever action valve they are highly dependable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Agree with above. Gate valves are not suitable for this application, as they always pass a little bit when closed. Use a ball valve or a stopcock to provide isolation. There should also be a check valve to prevent backflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Are there difficult to fit. Never really went near plumbing myself before

no there not that difficult. find were the supply of water to the pipe is and turn it off. also make sure your heating is off as well ( don't want you to get scolded . then remove the gate valve. there will be water in the pipe so have a bucket and a towel handy. replace with a ball or lever valve and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

no there not that difficult. find were the supply of water to the pipe is and turn it off. also make sure your heating is off as well ( don't want you to get scolded . then remove the gate valve. there will be water in the pipe so have a bucket and a towel handy. replace with a ball or lever valve and bobs your uncle.
    Nice one, sounds easy enough. Would the new valves be around the same size or would there be pipe cutting required. Pipe cutting would scare me! :)

• Advertisement

they should be about the same size. if you have to cut it i wouldn't think that you would have to cut much of it. a pipe slice might come in handy anyway.

Advertisement