Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Einstein First Signs

Options
  • 10-12-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Has anyone out there actually successfully taught their baby to sign with this technique and please tell about your experiences with it. Am considering using this as baba is 8mths old and her manual dexterity is fantastic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I didnt discover baby einstein until my son was about 14 months old and I never used the signs, I think he missed the boat there, but I have heard a lot of people say that their babies learned sucessfully from the dvds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Never tried it myself but I wonder...if you are successful and are able to communicate to some degree through signs, would this delay speech development in any way? If the baby is able to tell you through signs what he/she wants why bother talking? No evidence or anything to back this up. It is not a claim or anything of the sort...just a random thought that entered my head when I read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Good question, pretty much exactly what I asked the staff in her creche this morning :) They said they've never seen a baby's speech delayed because of their ability to sign, as they only ever generally learn a limited number of signs and that this technique also encourages speech as well as sign at the same time for the same words. Apparently the reduction in frustration temper tantrums due to inability to communicate needs far far exceeds any possibility of developmental delay with speech!

So I'm gonna give it a go and see how we get on.

Advertisement