Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cops and Offenses, is there leniency?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Mods please move this if it's not the appropriate forum. I'm the holder of full clean Irish license and this evening I was driving home on a 2 lane (in both directions) road, but in a 50Kmph zone.

While traveling at most 65Kmph, I noticed up ahead straight in front of me a few hundred metres ahead a squad car. I immediately attempted to slow the car to just above 50kmph as I wasn't sure if they were checking for speed. As I got closer I had to stop at traffic lights, right beside them and I could see they had the gun out and were indeed checking. I thought that there was a chance that they could come over to me and tell me I was speeding, but they didn't.

Does this mean that they didn't consider my case severe enough to warrant a notification or can I expect to simply receive something in the post instead. I've heard that when it's just a camera and you fly by it, the whole process is automated, and that you just receive the news in the post, but considering the cops were parked right beside me when I got to the lights and they didn't get out and say anything does that mean I'm in the clear.

Although I was in the area for a few mins, and I didn't see them stop anyone, which is the reason why I am posting here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Learning to Drive.
    Cheers,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

They dont have to tell you they caught you.
    All you can do is wait it out I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ve wrote: »
    but in a 50Kmph zone.

While traveling at most 65Kmph.... ......thought that there was a chance that they could come over to me and tell me I was speeding, but they didn't
    If you werre travelling at an indicated 65kph it's possible that you were doing much less as most speedometres over-estimate speed. That, combined with the fact that the Gardai usually add in a margin of 10 or 15% means that you may be OK or perhaps the Gardai may be looking for "bigger speeders".

There is also the possibility that the checkpoint was set up as a diversion to investigate much more serious crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

With the speed gun, u have to be stopped! With a camera, you dont! Ur in the clear!

Advertisement