Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest way to buy sterling?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I need to buy £6000 sterling, can someone tell me the cheapest way to do this? Obviously find a bank with the best selling exchange rate, butb is there anyway to avoid paying the commission/ bank charges?
    Thanks for your help

edit- is it true OAP's dont pay bank charges?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

stek wrote: »
    I need to buy £6000 sterling, can someone tell me the cheapest way to do this? Obviously find a bank with the best selling exchange rate, butb is there anyway to avoid paying the commission/ bank charges?
    Thanks for your help

Ask a student to do the exchange for you? Most banks give student's commission-free forex.

I'm sure they'd do it for the price of a six-pack, well I would :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thanks for your help

edit- is it true OAP's dont pay bank charges?

With BoI yep, used to get mum to get FX for me... not sure of AIB...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

http://www.hifx.co.uk/personal.aspx

I've used them a few times, much better value than the banks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

For that amount your going to have to be a customer of the bank you walk into. Dunno about other banks but UB's max commission charge is 2.54.

OAP's get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

hey thanks for the replies, is that 2.54% or €2.54? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Given that you are buying such a large amount don't forget to pre-order, BUT the real reason I posted is that you might also be able to haggle on the rate a smidgen :) OK, usually the rate bands are something along the lines of <10k, 10-50k, etc. But it might be worth asking them when you go to buy if thats the best rate they can offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

hey thanks for the replies, is that 2.54% or €2.54? thanks.

2.54euro. Sorry I've a Mac, no euro sign.

Yes pre ordering it is also a very good thing to do. You'd be hard pressed to get any bank haggle the rate for the amount. Over 20k and you could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

2.54euro. Sorry I've a Mac, no euro sign.

[alt]-2 should do it

Advertisement