Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing down sale......for over two years!

Options
  • 11-12-2008 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Is this legal?

Clothes store on Liffey St, Dublin 1. I forget the name at the minute but I do know there is another clothes store next door.

Massive banner outside the store announcing their closing down sale. It's been there as long as I can remember, definitely over two years at this stage.

Now I don't know the exact legislation about sales but I do know a product has to be on sale for a set number of days before it can be announced as on sale at a discount and have the saving advertised. I've explained that badly but you know what I mean :)

Eh, I'm not some busybody looking to cause hassle for a store, I'm just interested to know what the story is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

When I saw the title of the thread the shop on Liffey St popped straight into my head, its been closing down ever since it opened:D They sell some fairly desperate clothing anyway IMO!

It is a bit annoying though, just take the signs down or close down dag nabbit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

At this stage ive just assumed that the store name

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps they've got a big store-room.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

starn wrote: »
    At this stage ive just assumed that the store name

It is the name of the store as far as I'm aware. Like the OP it annoyed me, I asked some folks and yep it seems thats the shops name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

the law applies to "was €50 now €20"

You can pretty much claim anything else you like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's no law to say how long a sale can be, or when it should end. If there were, then One Direct's new year sale should have ended slightly before October. Also, Right Price Shite Tiles would be in a small bit of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Its more like 5 years. I moved to Dublin 5 years ago and I bought a pair of jeans there at the closing down sale. That sale is still on.

Its more like 5 years. I moved to Dublin 5 years ago and I bought a pair of jeans there at the closing down sale. That sale is still on.

It's the name of the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I remember one shop in my home town had a banner proclaiming 'Clothing Down', and many people read it as Closing Down. Eventually they did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Buffman

Good choice of name anyway, at least people remember it:)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

that's exactly the place i thought of too. Maybe they're talking about when they close at 6 o clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Envy on Henry Street were having a relocation sale a while ago, but they are still there and the sale is over. Same old stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Great name, I would call my shop "Ripoff Merchants" "We Fleece You" or "Cheap & Nasty". Get passers by in out of interest.

podge018 wrote: »
    Envy on Henry Street were having a relocation sale a while ago, but they are still there and the sale is over. Same old stock too.

The Sheepksin Shop in the Ilac had a closing down sale which finished. They carried on for a few more months before they did actually close down.

Advertisement