Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reason for Falling numbers in the FCÁ/RDF?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭doubletap

a big problem is that when you call to the office there might be someone there 3 out of 5 days if your lucky, the PDF Cadre also has to do duties in Barracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭greenarrow

I have seen some truly shocking ones as well. An absolute disgrace and embarrassment. There are some good ones aswell, 62 LSB Med Coy have a lot of good info.
    I don't know much about other units, a few visit schools like us but that's about it. 34 Infanty do a good weapons display every year in Bagenalstown, i think it gets a very positive response from the general public. More displays of weapons and equipment would go a long way I reckon. We participated in a big one in Limerick a few years ago, I think we were the only reserve unit there - there were people queing up to have a spin on our gun, it was like a fairground attraction :eek:

http://www.bebo.com/3adrecruitment[/quote]

I hadn't checked out that page for the medics in a while. I have to say you're right about it. It is vey informative.
    Every time I look in on that page there is always something added to it. I think its probably the best one out there in my opinion, and if the person who runs it is on boards.ie a job well done. Whoever he/she is. Or whoever they are.

3 AD is a very good one also.

The real question I would ask is why only a handful of units have pages? And also why only a handful of the pages are good quality too? But overall, are they effective enough as a recruitment tool?
    I personally think that if they are done properly they are a great tool. Although I haven't heard of any unit that has used it.

Over to you guys....Concussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

-boris wrote: »
    so your company expected you to go in civies?!That is had you not been able to procure a uniformicon12.gif!.

Company expected me not to go if I didn't have one!!

greenarrow wrote: »
    I hadn't checked out that page for the medics in a while. I have to say you're right about it. It is vey informative.
    Every time I look in on that page there is always something added to it. I think its probably the best one out there in my opinion, and if the person who runs it is on boards.ie a job well done. Whoever he/she is. Or whoever they are.

Self praise is no praise greenarrow ;);)

Oh sorry, forgot you're PDF Western Brigade *nudge* *nudge*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The real question I would ask is why only a handful of units have pages? And also why only a handful of the pages are good quality too? But overall, are they effective enough as a recruitment tool?
    I personally think that if they are done properly they are a great tool. Although I haven't heard of any unit that has used it.

I think that it's difficult to do it properly, given the contraints of Bebo. The flip side is that Bebo is immediatley accessable, everyone I know has an account and most would check it daily, even hourly.
    It's very easy to go and put lots of photos up and say 'dis is us firin da mag....wiked stuff' and things like that but sourcing information, especially pertaining to the recruitment proceess, eligibility, gratuities, pay etc takes some time and effort. On top of that you have to make sure its 100% accurate and not of a sensitive nature.

As a recruitment tool, I've nothing to say it works to be perfectly honest and on its own I'd say it's useless.. It does allow people to check out the unit in their own time and it means concise flyers can be handed out...you don't have to put loads of detail about locations, times etc on them. The main thing is that it's much easier to log on than to talk to a stranger on the phone.
    segaBOY wrote: »

Wot's all this then?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭-boris

Company expected me not to go if I didn't have one!!

That is a thundering disgrace.So the other lads who couldnt get uniforms missed out on their camp simply because the q wads too lazy to do something?

I am not a medic by the way. Or an MP...if that's what the wink wink means. But I do have a soft spot for the medics in the RDF/FCA because a few years back my brother had a motorcycle accident and he was saved by the medics from the Eastern who were in Mullingar for the week. I am not sure which one of the units it was.

They were doing a tactical exercise and they came across him on the road. And if they hadn't stopped he wouldn't have made it. So I always stick up for them when people are putting the RDF down.

I probably do sing their praises a lot...probably a bit more than I should. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

p.s. If I was an PA I would be looking at that CQ of yours and I would pull him up for anything. That's shocking about the smock incident.

But I don't think that the RDF is a complete con because I hear a lot of good things about corps units. And to me, the investment should be made there for the organisation instead of throwing it away the way that it is managed.

I am not a medic by the way. Or an MP...if that's what the wink wink means. But I do have a soft spot for the medics in the RDF/FCA because a few years back my brother had a motorcycle accident and he was saved by the medics from the Eastern who were in Mullingar for the week. I am not sure which one of the units it was.

They were doing a tactical exercise and they came across him on the road. And if they hadn't stopped he wouldn't have made it. So I always stick up for them when people are putting the RDF down.

I probably do sing their praises a lot...probably a bit more than I should. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

p.s. If I was an PA I would be looking at that CQ of yours and I would pull him up for anything. That's shocking about the smock incident.

But I don't think that the RDF is a complete con because I hear a lot of good things about corps units. And to me, the investment should be made there for the organisation instead of throwing it away the way that it is managed.
    Glad they helped they do have a lot of good guys incl paramedics from the fire brigade.

That's what I have heard. That's why I think that the RDF does have a purpose with the corps units.
    It gives kids in school an excellent chance to get a foot in the door for the career that they want in life. With the likes of corps units such as engineers, medics, transport...I know that a lot of people who join these units are interested in a career path that membership of the reserves can offer them.

I think the corps units tend to attract their fair share of bad eggs, but probably less than other units because you're probably more likely to attract someone who is career minded than you would with an infantry unit. (E.G. someone who wants to go to college an be an engineer, or someone interested in joining the ambulance service) And they kinda cop that joining the RDF is a good stepping stone that others wouldn't think about.

But i do find it amazing that corps units get a fraction of the budget allocated to them, when most of it (in my opinion) is wasted on focusing solely on developing the infantry aspect of it too much.

I think that's a really obvious reason for people leaving the RDF...especially given that in a corps unit, you tend to have quite a lot of clever people too. So you're not just losing good soldiers, but people who could contribute to the organisation and bring it onwards.

Advertisement