Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My THEORY behind Three and the NBS

Options
  • 11-12-2008 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Well i've been thinking about this and the more I do, the more it seems logical.

Three won the tender for the NBS, however we know and they know that there is no possible way that HSPDA (3G) can deliver on what is outlined in the NBS.

My theory is based on a rumour that Three Telecoms was looking to buy Eircom. It makes sense if this is their intention because if they wish to buyout Eircom that means that they can achieve what is required by the NBS through the existing infrastructure, but have just gotten millions of Euros for free to buy Eircom, which would probably lead to more bandwidth on their 3G network by access to Eircoms current core network.

Bear in mind that this is my theory based on a rumour.

Does anyone think that this is possible, because this seems to me like the most logical way that they can buy a majority share in Eircom for less money and deliver on the NBS without 3G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Well i've been thinking about this and the more I do, the more it seems logical.

Three won the tender for the NBS, however we know and they know that there is no possible way that HSPDA (3G) can deliver on what is outlined in the NBS.

My theory is based on a rumour that Three Telecoms was looking to buy Eircom. It makes sense if this is their intention because if they wish to buyout Eircom that means that they can achieve what is required by the NBS through the existing infrastructure, but have just gotten millions of Euros for free to buy Eircom, which would probably lead to more bandwidth on their 3G network by access to Eircoms current core network.

Bear in mind that this is my theory based on a rumour.

Does anyone think that this is possible, because this seems to me like the most logical way that they can buy a majority share in Eircom for less money and deliver on the NBS without 3G.

Jesus christ guy don't be saying things like that :eek: things really are bad enough without that shower of c%$ts buying the other shower of cu%$s

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Because of the way the NBS is formulated and lack of a decent amount of extra spectrum, most of the smaller areas can only be covered by existing Wireless or 3G/HSDPA.

eircom can't do it with DSL.
    eircom was going to use a mix of 3rd party wireless and Meteor's new 3G/HSDPA rollout.

So it's irrelevent to the NBS if "3 Ireland" buys eircom or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I suppose we are too short sighted to be planning anything for the spectrum freed up by the switching off of analouge radio and tv?

There is no plan to switch off Analogue VHF-FM, it's not much spectrum and too low in frequency (cells too big).

UHF TV uses 470MHz to 862MHz. There isn't agreement on how much is needed for Digital TV. The original thinking was only really to replace the terrestrial channels. But now we have HD (needs x5 spectrum) and domination of PayTV cable & Satellite, so Digital TV needs more like 60 channels, inc. 15 HD Channels in 5 years time rather than the original concept of less than 30 standard definition channels.

There is a plan to use from about 750MHz to 862MHz for Mobile Data (the different EU regulators can't agree on the 750Mhz, Ofcom wants it lower = more to sell off, but then hard to do HDTV). HD on Digital will be important from 2012 or 2014 which is about the earliest analogue could be turned off. So really it would be reasonable to sell of less (802 to 862). For competition and decent speed capacity for LTE or Mobile Wimax (LTE more likely), about 120MHz is needed, so include 2MHz guard, (there is a guard at 862 .. 864) gives 862 - 122 = 740MHz. Leaving 470MHz to 740MHz for TV.

There is only slow gear suitable "off the shelf" for 850MHz at present, such as EVDO RevA which is about 1/2 speed of HSDPA and similar otherwise as it is "evil" CDMA modulation.

The EU such as Vivianne Redding would like a Europe Wide allocation so same gear will work anywhere. Ofcom wants technology neutral (= every country or even regions in same country incompatible) and bigger spectrum (= more money to Ofcom) to highest bidder.

They *Should* allocate the same spectrum Europe Wide and mandate the technology so consumers can roam and economy of scale. That worked well for GSM and somewaht for 3G (the governments greedy and operators bid too high on 3G). There should be a cap on spectrum price and a "beauty contest" for operators rather than simply price.

Enough of the fairy stories...

Yes politicians need glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

Well my theory may be not far off as I just discovered! :rolleyes:

http://www.euromoney.com/Article/2076752/ChannelPage/0/AssetCategory/14/Infrastructure-Eircom-sale-mooted-for-B-B.html

If it happens... I CALLED IT! :cool:

• Advertisement

It won't make any difference to the NBS either way. It will still be mostly HSDPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Its no secret that in the current climate that B&B would probably like to sell.

As has been mentioned buying Eircom would do very little to help 3 fulfill the original terms of the NBS. 3 getting the contract is just a case of the government writing up terms in the NBS that it couldn't stick to because of financial restraints and then going ahead and picking the cheapest option.

Eircom is debt ridden, and is a pretty unattractive prospect for anyone to buy right now

Advertisement