Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments in the Dail on Airsoft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

If it ment thousands upon thousands of euros worth of aegs would have to be handed up from both retailers and "Skirmishers ( as there so fondly called" , the law would be very hard to pass and would most likely be taken nto the supreme court ( Or sumthing :P)

to be hones lad it doesnt make a blind bit of difference when youre dealing with bureaucracy, you wont be getting compo either.....just ask anyone who handed up pistols the last time they were banned, "temporarily" in 1972.

if i were a retailer id be extremely worried about these developments.

Funny how some of the regional rags had it last week that all pistols were getting banned including airsoft.... i wonder what they know tha we dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

If something is made illegal overnight, what sort of margin is given to say, retailers? For example, say any particular airsoft shop had 200 varying rifles, what are they expected to do with them? Are they given time to arrange disposing of them aboard, or are they just expected to hand in the 'illegal' items worth thousands upon thousands of euro?

Even on a personal basis....can you imagine the fury if it were made illegal, of having to hand in/over/whatever your aeg collection....

I couldn't give two hoots about the retailers. What about me and everyone like me? We go out and buy an aeg with our credit card/paypal from an Irish retailer whats to stop the powers that be from getting the details and coming to visit me and anyone else? I can hand over what I still own but what about selling someone an aeg via boards here? Would I have to try and explain that I don't still have it?

And what about the value of them? I've about €2K worth of aeg's and gbb's so I'll loose that money AND you can be damn sure there'll be no compensation either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

there is no way they could just expect us to give away all our gear to them without giving us our money for them that go's for the lads with the rs too.they would have to buy them off us and in the middle of a recession the govt have more important things to be spending the tax payers money on. personally i will not just be giving up my gear no way.i think im getting way ahead of myself here.as an airsofter and soon to be a member of the iaa i do believe in addition to letting the iaa get things done we should also get our own individual voice in on the future of the sport.do anything it takes to keep our beloved sport alive

amaughan wrote: »
    there is no way they could just expect us to give away all our gear to them without giving us our money for them that go's for the lads with the rs too.

Oh yes they can! You can be let sell them but you can't ship them nor is anyone in Ireland allowed to buy them. If you can't flog it thats your tough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

why should we just let the iaa deal with this, this affects us all and id say only about a quater of us are members of the iaa and i know quite a few people including myself who let's just say think the iaa are a load of lick ***holes who think they voice every airsofter evan though only about half of airsofters suport all there views. we should all stand up and appose the ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

^^^^
    Remins me of the play " The merchant of Venice " .
    If the goverment was to take away our sport and our aeg and give us no compensation for them , it would set a very bad example and could stop people coming here to start a company involving *exotic sports etc. * and in times like these thats not an option

Oh yes they can! You can be let sell them but you can't ship them nor is anyone in Ireland allowed to buy them. If you can't flog it thats your tough

ill hide them ill turn my house into a fortress and defend them to the death before i let the government just decide they want my guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

daz801 wrote: »
    why should we just let the iaa deal with this, this affects us all and id say only about a quater of us are members of the iaa and i know quite a few people including myself who let's just say think the iaa are a load of lick ***** who think they voice every airsofter evan though only about half of airsofters suport all there views. we should all stand up and appose the ban

OK I am going to warn people once. Keep it civil and watch the throwing of names around. This may be an emotive issue but you had better keep it calm.

I suggest if you are sending anything to your TD's or the Ministers your read over it a couple of times before sending to ensure you don't sound like a raving manic.

I would also suggest that you ensure you contact all the sitting TD's in your election area. Probably a good idea to contact the Councillors as they are sweating the most with the local elections coming up next year.

I for one again will be waiting to see what is said at the AGM and I will then be sending out emails and some snail mails to my local politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I couldn't give two hoots about the retailers. What about me and everyone like me? We go out and buy an aeg with our credit card/paypal from an Irish retailer whats to stop the powers that be from getting the details and coming to visit me and anyone else? I can hand over what I still own but what about selling someone an aeg via boards here? Would I have to try and explain that I don't still have it?

And what about the value of them? I've about €2K worth of aeg's and gbb's so I'll loose that money AND you can be damn sure there'll be no compensation either.

Mine are worth about 500, sure it's a chunk of cash but it's not devastating in the literal sense of the phrase. Whereas you take someone with serious money invested, property rented, literally several dozen K in weapons available in stock - and they're told 'Right, hand it all over, thanks'. That could be their entire life in ruins. So to be honest while I'd be incredibly pissed off, we all know that if they were banned most of us would still keep our stuff, I doubt anyone would do hard time for merely posessing an airsoft weapon in their own home. Even when they were illegal, everyone had the basic ones lying around. I once saw a Gardas son out shooting on a public green! :D I imagine it wouldn't be much different if they suddenly became illegal overnight, unless people were still out using them in obvious scenarios. I was more wondering about people who've huge investments tied up in the sport.

Is that how it works? Or are they given some sort of compo? Would any type of insurance cover this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

You dont honestly think the powers that be would come looking to repossess all your airsoft guns, do you ? I've sold more airsoft guns than there are real guns in this country, legal or illegal. And I'm just one retailer. And thats before you even start to consider the amount that are imported.

The authorities have better things to do that try hunt down every single airsoft guns in the country, in the EXTREMELY unlikely event of them being banned outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

gandalf wrote: »
    I would also suggest that you ensure you contact all the sitting TD's in your election area. Probably a good idea to contact the Councillors as they are sweating the most with the local elections coming up next year.

Councillors for Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, 2008

TD's (2007) for Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown

edit:

TD's for Dublin south (2007) - as Gandalf pointed out (I'm actually Dublin-South).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

Shiva wrote: »
    You dont honestly think the powers that be would come looking to repossess all your airsoft guns, do you ? I've sold more airsoft guns than there are real guns in this country, legal or illegal. And I'm just one retailer. And thats before you even start to consider the amount that are imported.

The authorities have better things to do that try hunt down every single airsoft guns in the country, in the EXTREMELY unlikely event of them being banned outright.
    I think everyone needs to take a step back and calm down this thread was interesting to follow earlier, there will be no need for barricades or digging holes in your back gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lemming wrote: »

I'm in South Dublin man ;)

Don't worry I know who they are.....

Absolutely not, but what about retailers? What would happen to Eirsoft for example? Say you had 100 guns in stock, a lease on premises, so on and so forth....

Can they just seize it all as illegal or because something was legal at time of purchase, are you given leeway to dispose of it?

If this carrys on and they get there way then I can only see two outcomes ; the sport is outlawed , the sale of airsoft equipment is made illegal etc. alos alot of tears or; We still get airsoft but we .... uhhhh ..... *shudder* ..... Have to have blazing read flashhiders on all our aegs and gbbs atc .
    The second is the more likely outcome .

I would prefere the first . Im not murdering my aegs .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just a thought ... mgiht be an idea for the moderators to clean this thread up of the more hysterical commentary since people other than airsofters follow this forum

/waves to the DoJ folks, and all the media folks currently driving an agenda of fear and hysteria

they may not come looking for them specifically but it means nothing for them to say right these are illegal now, you get caught with one and youre looking at a 10.

have you really sold more than 220,000 units?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Lemming wrote: »
    Just a thought ... mgiht be an idea for the moderators to clean this thread up of the more hysterical commentary since people other than airsofters follow this forum

/waves to the DoJ folks, and all the media folks currently driving an agenda of fear and hysteria
    your a mod why not just do it?????

hes just the adverts section

If this carrys on and they get there way then I can only see two outcomes ; the sport is outlawed , the sale of airsoft equipment is made illegal etc. alos alot of tears or; We still get airsoft but we .... uhhhh ..... *shudder* ..... Have to have blazing read flashhiders on all our aegs and gbbs atc .
    The second is the more likely outcome .

I would prefere the first . Im not murdering my aegs .

Actually speaking of which, what was the general reaction to the 2 tone weapons in the UK? They look absolutely hideous, and could be spotted a mile away - skirmishes must be crap. A red Flash Hider seems extremely merciful in comparison - it could be far worse. Like......transparent aeg's (puke)

• Advertisement

they may not come looking for them specifically but it means nothing for them to say right these are illegal now, you get caught with one and youre looking at a 10.

Haha nothing beats the good old google search and then the info you want on boards

Is that how it works? Or are they given some sort of compo? Would any type of insurance cover this?

There are methods in place to challenge legislation. Theres a lot of talk in this thread about ministers having the power to ban somethign at the stroke of a pen. These people arent stupid.

Livelihoods would be ruined. People would be made jobless. The opposition parties would literally destroy any minister who came up with a half-baked scheme to ban a legal sport, not because the give a toss about the sport, but because its a chance to destroy a sitting minister for enacting an ill-conceived law.

To everyone reading this - People are getting way to emotive over one line uttered in a Dail debate. For God's sake....have you guys any idea how many promises and threats are made and then broken in these debates ?

By all means, get active defending our sport - write to your TD, your councillors, the newspapers...anyone who has any kind of voice. Just do it calmly and rationally.

And I keep saying this. Again. And again. And again.

JOIN THE IAA AND HELP THEM !

You dont have to agree with them. You dont have to like them.
    BUT WE NEED TO HAVE A UNIFIED BODY REPRESENTING US.

If you dont like what they're doing, you can change their policies by being a member and proposing new policies. You can vote out the committee if you dont like them. But you can do NOTHING by not being a member.

I just cant understand this ridiculous concept of "They're a bunch of so-and-so's, I'm not joining". Join up and get rid of the so-and-so's, but just join up for Christ's sake, and add your voice to the other members.

For such a small community, we have an unusually large amount of intelligent people in our ranks....and I swear to God, for such intelligent people.....Theres a distrubingly large amount of you that seem to have switched off the logic machine in your brain :(

Actually speaking of which, what was the general reaction to the 2 tone weapons in the UK? They look absolutely hideous, and could be spotted a mile away - skirmishes must be crap. A red Flash Hider seems extremely merciful in comparison - it could be far worse. Like......transparent aeg's (puke)

Hmmm , Still would hate to have to paint the tip orange. But yes it could be worse . Snot green , for example . Ewwwwwww .
    But clear - kill me now

Ok...maybe not that many :) Forgive my poetic licence.

But its in the multiple thousands. And I'd be certain theres more airsoft guns in this country than real guns. A lot more.

The system in england is ok i guess . No red flashiders but you do need to join *forget the name* , but once you have you can have a black aeg but if you arent a member you have to have a snot green aeg . Ok I guess

The system in england is ok i guess . No red flashiders but you do need to join *forget the name* , but once you have you can have a black aeg but if you arent a member you have to have a snot green aeg . Ok I guess

That's fine, a similar system here of registration wouldn't bother me much. What would bother me is trying to skirmish with a 'snot green' rifle. Imagine trying to hide in a tree with this:

bar10-rifle-box.jpg

Whats that? Surrounded? (but how did they find me, you may ask incredulously) Pull out your emergency Boeing 747 landing beacon:

Beretta-Airsoft-BB-Gun-2-Tone-s.jpg

Ok...maybe not that many :) Forgive my poetic licence.

But its in the multiple thousands. And I'd be certain theres more airsoft guns in this country than real guns. A lot more.

ha ha:D

as far as i know you must skirmish 3 weekends out of every quarter or something along those lines, no bother for the lads in dublin ect but not the culchies, or collectors like bullets or plinkers.

Come now its not that bad . *sarcaism*

Try and spot the unregistered player: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nQA-g1mWKI&feature=channel

People with sesitive eyes should look away now.

I would probably stop airsofting if aegs had to be snot green

ha ha:D

as far as i know you must skirmish 3 weekends out of every quarter or something along those lines, no bother for the lads in dublin ect but not the culchies, or collectors like bullets or plinkers.

Thought it was 3 times a month, but I could be wrong

• Advertisement

Thought it was 3 times a month, but I could be wrong

i remembered it that way as well but though it to be too extreme, its on arnies somewhere anyways

Advertisement