Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments in the Dail on Airsoft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I'm not saying dont do anything, but if everyone jumped about doing their own thing, guarnteed people would get heated in their correspondence and wont thnik it through and end up giving airsoft an even worse name then it has already. Is it too much to wait till the AGM at the weekend and go down a co-ordinated thought out course of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

kdouglas wrote: »
    As I said last night, a document to be sent out was being finalised yesterday and discussed at a committee meeting last night,we will be in direct contact with the minister and several other parties today and the document should also be published on the website this evening.

Also: It's not about just giving €30 and sitting back feeling that will do the job, it's showing you care enough about this sport to get behind the organisation who is fighting to keep it legal and fair for everyone.

Like i said i wasnt having a go at the IAA, im sure youre youre doing all you can, personally im not a member, mainly to do with ID requirements and the draft proposals ect. but thats neither here nor there.
    Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    I'm not saying dont do anything, but if everyone jumped about doing their own thing, guarnteed people would get heated in their correspondence and wont thnik it through and end up giving airsoft an even worse name then it has already. Is it too much to wait till the AGM at the weekend and go down a co-ordinated thought out course of action?

im my honest opinion yes, it is too long to wait.

people should be out there now ringnging and writing their local TD's,councillors ect. doing what ever they can now instaed of waiting till it too late.

it was the same in England before their pistols ban, clay shooters & foxhunters for whatever reason didnt want to protest against the ban, owners of Olympic pistols though they would be safe enough so did nothing as they though it would only effect full-bore, now their Olympic team must train abroad.

i have a bit more faith in people to reamin calm & rational in their efforts to save the sport, only an idiot would write or ring up geiving the public representative the dogs abuse, but now is the time to be doin all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

has ahern been contacted yet

what is he saying if he has been contacted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Tigger wrote: »

Yes.

Nothing yet.

In that order.

did you get him hisself or did you get "the minister is busy..." or somesuch

• Advertisement

did you get him hisself or did you get "the minister is busy..." or somesuch

We've sent him an email and we've been on to the DoJ directly.

We'll be explaining everything we can at the AGM.

what have the doj said?

Views on the availability and use of airsoft guns here...

Views on the availability and use of airsoft guns here; and if the Minister has plans to introduce legislation in the area

Question Posed By: Deputy Michael McGrath
    Subject: Proposed Legislation
    Date: 20 May 2008
    Question Number: 539

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): Section 1 of the Firearms Act, 1925 (as amended by Section 26 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006) provides that airsoft devices with a muzzle energy less than or equal to 1 joule do not fall within the definition of a firearm and consequently do not come within the firearms licensing regime. I have no proposals at present for a change in that respect of our firearms legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

The document sent to Minister Ahern and several other relevant parties is now available on the IAA website:

http://irishairsoft.ie/?p=293

I'd also like to remind people that the IAA also have their own forum: http://irishairsoft.ie/forum and can be contacted directly via info@irishairsoft.ie

Edit: There is now a discussion thread for this document located here: http://www.irishairsoft.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=199

The document sent to Minister Ahern and several other relevant parties is now available on the IAA website:

http://irishairsoft.ie/?p=293

I'd also like to remind people that the IAA also have their own forum: http://irishairsoft.ie/forum and can be contacted directly via info@irishairsoft.ie

i have posted the same question there
    i think that the more people that see this the better so i posted it here
    if you don't want it posted here thats fine but i see no harm

also trhe question i asked was has he been contacted
    as someone with issues communicating through txt mabeyu i'm not being clear but i ment contact to mean acual contact rather than sending someone who has peopl,e to read his mail a mail

34 page
    its very good
    i really doubt that he'll read it

i just want to know what s going on

i gathered from this thread that we were to present a united front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

as someone with issues communicating through txt mabeyu i'm not being clear but i ment contact to mean acual contact rather than sending someone who has peopl,e to read his mail a mail

He has been contacted directly at his official email address. We have also asked for a meeting in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Please mention the IAA, if you are a member, or just supporter.

Make it clear that their correspondance represents your voice on this issue.

Even a short e-mail stating that you opose any outright ban, but support the IAA's propositions for legislation.
    That they are aware of issues for both players and legislators and should be involved in any and all descisions regarding the sport.

A longer e-mail will likely be skimmed over and ignored, a rant will be treated as a rant, and not assesed fairly.

Join the IAA, and pay your membership asap and attend the AGM.

Having a legitimate body that is recognised and listened to is far more valuable than many angry individuals. Throw your support and weight of numbers behind them.

Its the only thing now that will work.

He has been contacted directly at his official email address. We have also asked for a meeting in person.

has he replyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ok I decided to send an email with a link to the new document produced by the IAA to the the Minister and all the Junior Ministers in the Department of Justice.

The text of the email is below. Feel free to amend and use it to send you emails as well.

The email addresses I used are dermot@dermotahern.ie, minister@justice.ie, barry.andrews@oireachtas.ie, conor.lenihan@oireachtas.ie, john.moloney@oireachtas.ie

(these are in the public domain so there is no issue using them).

I will be mailing all my local TD's and Councillors tomorrow morning.
    Dear Minister Ahern,

I see quotes are being attributed to you in the press in the last few days stating you intend to ban airsoft as part of the response to gangland crimes. I would hope that you are being misquoted but if this is not the case I feel you are not looking at all the facts in making a decision about the future of airsoft.

I am a member of the Irish Airsoft Association and I would urge you and your ministerial colleagues in the Department of Justice who are cc'ed on this email to read the document collated by the Irish Airsoft Association in the link below.

http://irishairsoft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/iaa-proposal-on-legislative-changes-dec-2008.pdf

I await your comments with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Yes.

Nothing yet.

In that order.
    has he replyed?

Read above for an answer to the question you've already asked.

A standard letter to the minister will be available on the IAA website shortly for download (drafting it as I write this).

Cheers, as soon as its up i'm priniting it off signing it and sending it

Lemming wrote: »
    Read above for an answer to the question you've already asked.

i was wondering whether he had replyed and given a no comment or whether he had not replied at all

as i just pointed out i sometimes dont sy in this text format what i am tring to say

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭AirsoftEire.com

We have submitted a letter to Mr. Ahern as we are a business in his constituency. It's in his office right now.

Steve

i do feel that the business interests , especially those in his own backyard are are last hope if the iaa cant sort it

when does the dail rise for christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

jesus this is getting bad.what are the chances that we do loose airsoft.will the agm be recorded

Letter is up on the site now. Please download and print it out.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thanks.

I'm going to do everyon a favour, and not do anything along the lines of contacting anyone in an offical capacity :P

has anyone had any acual contact with deputy ahern?
    phone or mabey a reply to a mail

has anyone had any acual contact with deputy ahern?
    phone or mabey a reply to a mail

Its Saturday. Office hours are Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm. I doubt anyone will get any response until at least the middle of next week and possibly not until after christmas.

Its Saturday. Office hours are Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm. I doubt anyone will get any response until at least the middle of next week and possibly not until after christmas.

the comments he made were on the 10th
    that gave the 11th and 12th for someone to manage to get some sorta answer

the dail rises omn the 18th and will not be back in session till the 30th
    considering this knee jerk legislation will be billed as " emergency measures"
    i cvan seen it being inacted before that happens it could be in the senate

deputies own email is dahern@iol.ie if anyone needs it

previously legislation was brought in banning samuri (sp) swords
    however exemption was made to martial arts practioners

prior to the legislation being brought in there was a consultation process

Consultation on review of legislation on 'Samurai Swords'
    Posted January 23rd, 2008 by Colman
    We have just received an e-mail from the Department of Justice inviting us to give our views on a review of current legislation.
    the doj

A chara,

You will be aware that a number of crimes have been committed using what
    has been described as 'samurai swords'. The Department of Justice,
    Equality and Law Reform has received representations from TDs and members
    of the public that such weapons should be banned. We are presently
    reviewing the current legislation.

The Department does not wish to unnecessarily restrict or adversely impact
    on cultural, sporting or dramatic activities. We would welcome your views
    and submissions on this issue. The term 'samurai sword', though in popular
    usage, is problematic in that it refers only to swords made during the
    samurai era in Japan. It clearly does not refer to the types of swords
    being used in violent crimes. We are open to any better suggestions you
    might put forward.

We are also looking at providing exemptions for martial arts practioners
    and would be interested in your views of how this would work. Would
    specific swords be exempted based on how they are manufactured or would one
    need to be a registered club member to purchase a sword?

We might put a meeting together in early February where we could discuss
    these matters. In the meantime, I would be grateful if you would consider
    the issue and get back to me with your comments.

has anyone recieved such a direct consultation on this matter or are we herading into this blind?

Thanks.

Quick point, i did it and maybe others can if they want, but i included my address in the top right of the letter, you never know you might even get a reply.

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Quick point, i did it and maybe others can if they want, but i included my address in the top right of the letter, you never know you might even get a reply.

let us know if you do

• Advertisement

I'm not holding my breath obviousley, but hey i definatley wont get on if my address isnt on it, eighter that or hell send the guards round to take my guns :p.

It's a long shot i know but worth a go.

Advertisement