Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traktor scratch pro

• 11-12-2008 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Thinking of getting this just wondering is it worth the price as i will still be using cdjs.Only things i dislike about cdjs is keeping track of my music:mad: and find the waveforms a bit inaccurate hence the addition of traktor.Is it worth it with this set up or geared more towards a complete virtual dj set up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

its a great bit of software but i gotta ask,why do you need to see the waveform?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kenji

Hey Sean,basically for timing of my mixs,like the grooves in vinyl before used to be helpful,ideally i should know my tracks inside out but find that impossible atm due to sheer volume and the fact i cant distinguish one from the other given my current filing system:D

well traktor scratchs waveform isnt very detailed when its playing,it kinda rushs past,the screen is tiny too.it also depends how much of the screen you dedicate to it i guess.
    dance music has a real basic format,every 16 beats something happens,its easy to predict without checking,you definitely know this already but looking at a waveform on a cdj is probably accurate enough plus just using your basic knowlege about song structure should help.
    its a deadly programme and if i was gonna be a laptop dj id be picking it,ive tried ableton(gigged on it) and serato and traktor pro is the best out of the 3 of them.
    that being said i wouldnt be basing my decision on being able to see a wave form,if that was the case id pick ableton although personally i think its not really any benefit to be able to view a detailed waveform but thats just me i guess

This is true but i like to have a view of various peaks,breaks etc as some tracks dont even register on the cdj,if the traktor view is like you say its not benefit,its not a major necessity anyway,its mainly for the organisation of music and sets without the pain of burning,filing etc.Main query would be is it worth the purchase considering i will be using cdjs and not a controller,complete virtul set up,btw is it trkr scratch pro you need for this set up?

its definitely a great for organisation,it lets you flick through playlists in itunes.
    ive all my playlists set to early,middle and late and i just add my new tunes to each and burn them.traktor lets me see these too.
    i dont know how it works with cdjs.
    i couldnt be arsed to bring a laptop and whatever connections i need to a gig.id rather just burn my cds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

seannash wrote: »
    well traktor scratchs waveform isnt very detailed when its playing,it kinda rushs past,the screen is tiny too.it also depends how much of the screen you dedicate to it i guess.
    dance music has a real basic format,every 16 beats something happens,its easy to predict without checking,you definitely know this already but looking at a waveform on a cdj is probably accurate enough plus just using your basic knowlege about song structure should help.
    its a deadly programme and if i was gonna be a laptop dj id be picking it,ive tried ableton(gigged on it) and serato and traktor pro is the best out of the 3 of them.
    that being said i wouldnt be basing my decision on being able to see a wave form,if that was the case id pick ableton although personally i think its not really any benefit to be able to view a detailed waveform but thats just me i guess

the waveform can be a great help, especially for when a track drops/kicks back in or there might be 1 or 2 tracks you dont know that well, its great for even just seeing the flow of a new track you got, the waveforms are not that small on traktor pro, you'd what to have serious cateracts not to be able to see them.

kenji, its worth the price, i use traktor pro but have mates that use the scratch version and they swear by it, lovely new effects on the pro versions aswell now.

Just to clarify,is the regular version for laptop set up and the scratch version for compatiability with cdjs/vinyl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

kenji wrote: »
    Just to clarify,is the regular version for laptop set up and the scratch version for compatiability with cdjs/vinyl?
    dont hold me to it, but i had a quick go on the tractor demo (normal one) and it had a set up to connect to external hardware!

brianc27 wrote: »
    the waveform can be a great help, especially for when a track drops/kicks back in or there might be 1 or 2 tracks you dont know that well, its great for even just seeing the flow of a new track you got, the waveforms are not that small on traktor pro, you'd what to have serious cateracts not to be able to see them.

kenji, its worth the price, i use traktor pro but have mates that use the scratch version and they swear by it, lovely new effects on the pro versions aswell now.
    its pretty easy in dance music to know when a track is gonna kick back in in all fairness.i recommended it i just dont see why you lot need a waveform view:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

maybe some of us play music that's a bit less predictable?

• Advertisement

id be willing to bet some of ye dont;)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

thats true, maybe your standard 4x4 track is pretty predictable but theres plenty of brokenbeat techno and obscure stuff that alot more difficult to predict, before i used serato, tracktor and that i would have dismissed waveforms myself but after nearly 3 years of using them i deffo see them as more of a guide then distraction, im not saying i use them on every track but at least i know if im playing a track im not 100% familiar with i can use the waveform as a guide.

kenji, traktor scratch pro is the one that you use with decks/cdj's

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Don't rule out M-Audio Torq Connectiv - not as comprehensive as Traktor, but pretty good also, and a lot cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭richie rich08

Zascar wrote: »
    Don't rule out M-Audio Torq Connectiv - not as comprehensive as Traktor, but pretty good also, and a lot cheaper

Ive used torq a few times and i was very impressed by it,
    friend of mine got it with his xponent (amazing piece of kit by the way) and i have to say i found it quite easy fun to use.
    Im not big into the whole computer djing thing and wouldnt know much abou it but i have to say i found torq quite easy and fun to use.

How much is torq on its own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Torq on its own
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_torq_conectiv.htm

Torq with control Vinyl
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_torq_conectiv2_vinyl_bundle.htm

Torq is great after the new update 1.07 and will get even better with the next update 1.5 which will improve the effects and will also have tempo anchors if you have tunes that change BPM's :rolleyes:

1.5 will be free for new users but I have to pay 50$ as I bought it before the announcement of the update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

the new traktor pro is very good, the effects are really nice, you can have up to 6 effects on out of an option of 20 or so, or chain effects to make you own with different parameters, probably the best new feature in my opinion, looping is simpler now aswell and the overall sound has improved, highly recommend it

Advertisement