Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a Wireless Router to my BT Broadband

Options
  • 11-12-2008 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I am a BT BB customer and recently got hold of a NETGEAR DG834PN wireless router. Now I have plugged the ADSL from my old non-wireless router into this one and I have plugged the ethernet cable from my PC into the router.

I can not pick up any internet signal at the moment from my PC (Hardwired) nor My Laptop (wireless).

So I had to switch back.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I am sure this seems fairly bog standard for those of you in the know so I apologise in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

You need to configure the new netgear router to work with your connection it won't work straight out of the box as you tried:rolleyes::p

As you are using BT I am not sure what your settings are so you need to do is check your lan connection. Firstly restore your old BT touter the way it was before and then (if you are on Vista) by right clicking the "two tv screens" in the bottom right and then clicking Network and Sharing centre and then click manage network connections on the left hand side.

You will then see Local Area Connection, right click and go to properties, then highlight (by left click) on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then select properties and then you will see what your settings are if they are set to "Obtain an IP Address automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Automatically" you are right, 99% of the time they are set to Automatic.

However if they are set to specific IP and DNS note down everything on paper and press cancel and close out of it.

Then simply follow the instructions with your router, if got the router 2nd hand or from a friend etc. reset it (probably a tiny button at the back) and follow the instructions here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

You need to set the router up to connect to the network!

I'm bt myself so I may be able to help.

Most likely you need to enter your username and password for bt

It will be in the format

username@btbb
    password

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Okay I am satisifed that the IP/DNS are set to find automitically. But when I plug everything in, the internet symbol keeps trying to find an IP address and then says "a network cable is unplugged" then trys to find an IP address again and so forth.

Where do I get a chance to enter my BT username password etc if I can't get online?

Thanks for the help.

noodler wrote: »
    Okay I am satisifed that the IP/DNS are set to find automitically. But when I plug everything in, the internet symbol keeps trying to find an IP address and then says "a network cable is unplugged" then trys to find an IP address again and so forth.

Where do I get a chance to enter my BT username password etc if I can't get online?

Thanks for the help.

Ok Good, You now need to configure your DSL Router, this is a router with built in DSL Modem so it will receive the broadband and distribute it, both wired and wirelessly unlike your old wired only dsl router.

The setup manual is here which just dragged from a link within the first manual.

You log into the Netgear utility using 192.168.0.1 and the username is: admin and the password is: password.

Be sure to secure your network especially if you live close to nieghbours in a town etc. or next thing you know some numpty down the street will be running torrents on your connection, leaving you liable for whatever he downloads!

How do you login to the Netgear utility?

I mean my previous problem of not being online when the router is used remains.

• Advertisement

You login to it by entering 192.168.0.1 in the browser address bar instead of a website address such as www.boards.ie

Yes but I need to be online to do this surely?

With the wireless router in I can't properly connect at the moment (As I say the 'a network cable has been disconnected" followed by the two computers icon trying to again followed by the disconnection message and so forth).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes but I need to be online to do this surely?

With the wireless router in I can't properly connect at the moment (As I say the 'a network cable has been disconnected" followed by the two computers icon trying to again followed by the disconnection message and so forth).

The address given above is one of the standard addresses that router manufactures use for users to access the settings of the router/modem.

It is not a net address.

Okay but when I do this (in the browser) I get a can not connect message becuse I am not on the internet. (Tried it in the www. bit of firefox and IE). No luck.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Okay but when I do this (in the browser) I get a can not connect message becuse I am not on the internet. (Tried it in the www. bit of firefox and IE). No luck.

Any suggestions?

Sorry to be blunt but the suggesion is read what has been written for you above before you drive us all demented or even RTFM which a person has kindly linked you to above!

A modem or router has to have several settings put into it before you can connect to the internet. Until you have done this please please forget all about connecting to the internet ok?

Firstly connect the new router by ethernet cable to your computer.

Then connect to the settings page using the http address furnished above

You will need your bt sign on and password (again as given above but adapted for your own use)
    Encapsulation: PPPoE

Login
    Password

Multiplexing Method LLC-BASED
    VPI 8
    VCI 35

The settings above have to be inserted in the appropriate place in router set up page or you will not be able to connect to the interenet.

• Advertisement

I have read everything everyone has said but there seems to be a step missing. Like I say I can't even get online on my desktop with this router at the moment. So when I open a window to type in the above address I naturally get the old 'you are not connected to the internet'.

I have read the manual, again there seems to be a step missing.

Christ the rudeness, not everyone knows about these things.

Advertisement