Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged Registered Post

Options
  • 11-12-2008 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Got home one evening last week to see that a slip of paper in my letter box stating that I have a registered letter and to pick it up at the post office (standard stuff)

Anyway I went to the post office a few days later to find an A3 envelope with stiff cardboard inside and a "Please do not bend" written on the outside.

I think you know where this is going. Anyway the envelope looked like it was folded 3/4 of the way in half and two edges, the sticky flap end & the long side, had been completely ripped open. Let’s just say I removed the contents without opening the envelope.

Anyway the contents were a parchment diploma which was damaged & costs bout 60-70 Euros to replace.

I filled out the necessary claim form, but am I going to receive any compo?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should do, but from experience with An Post claims, it'll be slow, and they'll ask for the moon sun and stars to prove the damage. Make sure you've kept the packaging, and the contents, as they'll more than likely ask for both.

Took me about 3 months to get 100 euro out of them, and I had to send the packaging and contents off to them in the GPO, two months after I had started the claim, and even after they had already agreed to pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Let's just wait and see before we let loose about it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Is registered post a bit of a joke today? I arrived home the other day to find a registered letter in the hall, I thought one of the main reasons for registering a letter was proof of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

bmaxi wrote: »
    Is registered post a bit of a joke today? I arrived home the other day to find a registered letter in the hall, I thought one of the main reasons for registering a letter was proof of delivery.

Some registered packages require a signature, and some only require confirmation of delivery (by postal person).

For the OP, take photos of everything, and make a note of all damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

things like those parchment certificates diplomas etc should really be posted in strong tubes as they would be much more durable and less likely to be damaged but this would probably cost the people posting them more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yup, an important document like that should never be sent in an envelope. Madness.

An Post have never refused a claim for missing/damaged goods from me, though it has always been a slow process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

foggy_lad wrote: »
    things like those parchment certificates diplomas etc should really be posted in strong tubes as they would be much more durable and less likely to be damaged but this would probably cost the people posting them more?

It's strange, back in the day (1970s), UCD used to send their parchments out in tubes. I'm surprised they don't do it anymore.

Advertisement