Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The YES side were wrong or lied?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

So now that it’s clear that a second referendum is going to happen with a deal been done to keep our commissioner and get legal declarations on issues that the no side had with the treaty.

But does anyone remember that the YES side in particular Fianna Fail kept telling us over and over that there could be no better deal or renegotiation of the treaty yet now we look set to keep our commissioner and get legal declarations on other issues. So was it they lied to try and scare us into voting yes or were they just wrong in thinking that the EU wouldn’t make changes if we voted NO?

We were told we voted to give up our permanent commissioner in the Niece treaty and that to say voting NO would change that was nonsense, doesn’t look like nonsense now?

So it looks like we were right to vote “NO FOR A BETTER DEAL”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Oh dear, the yes side are going to tear you a new ass on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The treaty hasn't been renegotiated. Go find out what the legal term 'declaration' means. On the commissioner read this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055437689

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

sink wrote: »
    The treaty hasn't been renegotiated. Go find out what the legal term 'declaration' means. On the commissioner read this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055437689
    I'm not saying it's been renegotiated but changes are been made to allow us to retain our comissioner for a the medium term at least and there will be legal declarations, which I think to most people would be seen as a "Better Deal" which the YES side said wasn't possible?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Villain wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's been renegotiated but changes are been made to allow us to retain our comissioner for a the medium term at least and there will be legal declarations, which I think to most people would be seen as a "Better Deal" which the YES side said wasn't possible?
    I don't think it's a better deal. I think the retention of a commissioner from every member state is pandering to stupidity and ignorance, and the declarations are tautological restatements of provisions already contained within the treaty.

We squandered thirty years worth of hard-earned political capital for this?

*slow hand clap*

I'm curious how the commissioner thing works - my understanding was that it's not possible given both Nice and Lisbon provisions. I'll have to go research.

The commissioner however you perceive it in reality is of no benefit and actually adds to the EU's bureaucracy. The declarations are the equivalent of the EU saying "Yes we really do mean there will be no change to Ireland's abortion laws", "Yes we really do mean that Ireland retains full independent control over her armed forces", "Yes we really do mean Ireland retains full control over her corporation tax" etc., etc.,. They do not change the treaty they just clarify what the treaty does and does not do for everyone who has difficulty understanding it.

• Advertisement

Well imo and many who voted no imo it is a better deal and I will now votes YES, as for thirty years worth of hard-earned political capital thats overrated and once we vote Yes it will be back to normal.

The Yes side still trying to scare people into voting Yes the problem is as our major Political Parties have shown in the past and once again in this instance they can't be trusted to tell you the truth.

They do not change the treaty they just clarify what the treaty does and does not do for everyone who has difficulty understanding it.

Thats all most people wanted imo, to be able read in clear and easy English what the Treaty does and does not do, just like our Constitution :)

Thats all most people wanted imo, to be able read in clear and easy English what the Treaty does and does not do, just like our Constitution :)

But then how can you say the government lied?

But then how can you say the government lied?
    Because they told us that what was on offer before the first referendum was the last and final offer, i.e. there would be no changes no declarations and our commissioner could not be retained.

That is now not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The only people who have benefited from the Lisbon rejection are euro-sceptics enjoying a political victory. The Irish people and the EU at large have both suffered as a result of it, with absolutely no positive outcome for either.

The only positive I can see which might come out of it is that next time more people might realise how unprofessionally out of touch the campaigners for the lisbon treaty were from the real world. Then again, that's a common symptom of charlatans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Because they told us that what was on offer before the first referendum was the last and final offer, i.e. there would be no changes no declarations and our commissioner could not be retained.

That is now not the case?

There will be no changes. The commission will spell out in big letters with crayons that the treaty didn't impact on any of the things the No campaign used as scare stories in the first campaign.

there would be no changes

There are no changes
    no declarations

I don't recall them saying that.
    and our commissioner could not be retained.

We lost the commissioner under nice. The Lisbon treaty gives the European Council the power by unanimous agreement to change the size and shape of the commission. So effectively they rescinding the Nice treaty not Lisbon. And btw if Lisbon is not ratified by October 2009 the commission has to downsize under Nice rules.

I should probably just shut up and be happy that you are voting yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Moriarty wrote: »
    The only people who have benefited from the Lisbon rejection are euro-sceptics enjoying a political victory. The Irish people and the EU at large have both suffered as a result of it, with absolutely no positive outcome for either.

The only positive I can see which might come out of it is that next time more people might realise how unprofessionally out of touch the campaigners for the lisbon treaty were from the real world. Then again, that's a common symptom of charlatans.

Do you really think that voting lisbon in would result in life being better?

All it does is shift power around. It's not magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hang on you mean we are going to have a second referendum?

Does that mean we were lied to?

By politicans?

Shocking

Declarations are been added and our Comissioner is been retained and you think there is no difference or no changes??

Well if thats the story the YES side are going to tell I suspect we may well see another NO Vote.

What is it with politicians and admiting they were wrong? If the YES side want a YES vote on the next vote they need to come out and say "ok we have listened and we have got changes on the commisioner and we are getting very clear declaration's on the issue that NO side had, now please vote YES" and ends, don't then go on to say how the no vote has damaged us and anotehr no vote would be a huge crisis and if you vote NO the world will end.

Negative campaigning doesn't work, been stubborn and trying to say you were not wrong and this isn't a better deal will NOT get a YES vote

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm curious how the commissioner thing works - my understanding was that it's not possible given both Nice and Lisbon provisions. I'll have to go research.
    OK, got it:
    As from 1 November 2014, the Commission shall consist of a number of members, including its President and the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, corresponding to two thirds of the number of Member States, unless the European Council, acting unanimously, decides to alter this number.
    So it is possible - fair enough. I still think it's stupid.

As an aside, it took me about three minutes to find this out from the text of the treaty document itself. So much for convoluted, unreadable, yadda yadda...

Declarations are been added and our Comissioner is been retained and you think there is no difference or no changes??
    The treaty has not been changed or re-negotiatied. Sticky notes are being attached to it. What's unclear about that?
    Negative campaigning doesn't work, been stubborn and trying to say you were not wrong and this isn't a better deal will NOT get a YES vote
    I don't think it's a better deal. I think the commissioner provision is stupid.

Do you think I should lie about that in the hope that people will vote the way I'd like them to?

Well if thats the story the YES side are going to tell I suspect we may well see another NO Vote.

What is it with politicians and admiting they were wrong? If the YES side want a YES vote on the next vote they need to come out and say "ok we have listened and we have got changes on the commisioner and we are getting very clear declaration's on the issue that NO side had, now please vote YES" and ends, don't then go on to say how the no vote has damaged us and anotehr no vote would be a huge crisis and if you vote NO the world will end.

Truer advice has never been given. I and all Yes campaigners should learn to hold our tongue.

The treaty has not been changed or re-negotiatied. Sticky notes are being attached to it. What's unclear about that?

What the people will be asked to vote on has Changed?
    I don't think it's a better deal. I think the commissioner provision is stupid.

Do you think I should lie about that in the hope that people will vote the way I'd like them to?

We get that you wanted people to vote YES first time around that didn't happen, now we are getting changes which will help people vote YES but you don't want the changes their stupid in your opinion, so do you not want the changes, you want people to asked to vote on the exact same thing? Because I would bet you would get another NO in that case whereas as making this "stupid" change will help get more people to vote YES.

Why do you not want a change made to keep our commisioner?

Because it will be of no benefit and increase EU bureaucracy. The commission does not represent national interests and individual commissioners risk losing their job if they show national bias. Ever heard the expression 'Too many chefs spoil the broth'? Anyway there is no point in arguing this now since the commission will stay at it's present size if Lisbon passes which I gather is what we both want.

• Advertisement

What the people will be asked to vote on has Changed?
    The treaty hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed in reality is a commitment to use a provision within the treaty not to reduce the size of the commission in six years' time.
    We get that you wanted people to vote YES first time around that didn't happen, now we are getting changes which will help people vote YES but you don't want the changes their stupid in your opinion, so do you not want the changes, you want people to asked to vote on the exact same thing? Because I would bet you would get another NO in that case whereas as making this "stupid" change will help get more people to vote YES.
    Oh, I get that it may help achieve the result I want. I'll still vote "yes", even though I disagree with the retention of the size of the commission - on balance, it's still a good treaty. What's stupid is that we've squandered political capital and created a great deal of fuss and bother, all in order to secure declarations that simply repeat what's already in the treaty.
    He's not "our" commissioner, he's Europe's.

He's not "our" commissioner, he's Europe's.

It's more accurate to say all 27 commissioners are "our" commissioners as we are all Europeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

Lisbon 2 will be another NO vote. The Irish Government simply won't be able to sustain a yes campaign after it becomes blatently apparent that not a single comma of the treaty will be changed and the EU "assurances" will not be legally binding. Coupled with this, I think many people will use Lisbon 2 to oust Cowen, as his position as Taoiseach will become untenable after another rejection.

ben bedlam wrote: »
    the EU "assurances" will not be legally binding.

Technically yes but they do make it legally impossible for the articles in question to be interpreted any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Lisbon 2 will be another NO vote. The Irish Government simply won't be able to sustain a yes campaign after it becomes blatently apparent that not a single comma of the treaty will be changed and the EU "assurances" will not be legally binding. Coupled with this, I think many people will use Lisbon 2 to oust Cowen, as his position as Taoiseach will become untenable after another rejection.
    I think that's a sad truth. The Yes side are really going to have to pull out their A-game to win over the people.

Thats possible but hopefully people will use the Local elections to vent their anger at the Government, the opposition will need to be very strong in their campaign.

Micheál Martin says that the Government have responded to the NO posters saying "vote No to keep your commissioner" despite saying before the first vote this wasn't possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

the opposition will need to be very strong in their campaign.

Unless they see it as a chance to kick the government when they are down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

jhegarty wrote: »
    Unless they see it as a chance to kick the government when they are down.

+1

And we'll see a General Election over this. Cowan will be shafted after they loose again. Its going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

But does anyone remember that the YES side in particular Fianna Fail kept telling us over and over that there could be no better deal or renegotiation of the treaty yet now we look set to keep our commissioner
    No. Ireland will lose commissioner under current treaty anyway. Treaty of Lisbon won't make any change in that issue.

and get legal declarations on other issues. So was it they lied to try and scare us into voting yes or were they just wrong in thinking that the EU wouldn’t make changes if we voted NO?
    Those who told you that Ireland will keep commissioner if you vote NO lied you.

Advertisement