Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage giving 20% off their used stock...

Options
  • 11-12-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Found this ad following a link from Carzone. This dealer is getting 20% off all used car stock. I can't say if all of the prices are good but based on what I know about Range Rover Sports these are good prices from a dealer.

http://www.drive.ie/used_cars/20%20Off%20Used%20Cars.asp

Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Dazzy wrote: »
    Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Guaranteed to be. If they're only dropping 20% now, you can be guaranteed that yet to come will be the 50% depreciation for the poor unsuspecting owner when they try to change it a few months down the road. Quite possibly the most sale proof cars in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Dealers will need to be taking a hit on their used stock to stay in the game. The really need to start liquifying their stocks into hard cash to stay afloat.

If I were to visit a dealer today I would be offering him 40% less than the listed price. Take it or leave it because nobody else is coming in to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wow. 20% off, and he's near current market price on most of his cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 00D911

Berty wrote: »
    Dealers will need to be taking a hit on their used stock to stay in the game. The really need to start liquifying their stocks into hard cash to stay afloat.

If I were to visit a dealer today I would be offering him 40% less than the listed price. Take it or leave it because nobody else is coming in to you.
    Cant imagine you would be buying any car with that sort of discount !!! Dealers are open to offers not Insults......

Dealers are open to offers considering whats going on in the Motor Industry and those that react will survive however there not going to give cars away.
    Theres plenty of good deals out there to be had on quality used cars however your dreaming if you think you will get a decent car with 40% Discount.
    IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

There was a dealer a while back offering two for the price of one, but on reading the TC's it was apparant the free one was something that should have been in a scrapheap instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭bf

There does seem to be some recognition from dealers that prices need to fall or customers need to be incentivised to buy - there was an ad in yesterday's Irish Times for a Lexus dealer out west offering a new Toyota Aygo with every second-hand lexus sold

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Omcd wrote: »
    There was a dealer a while back offering two for the price of one, but on reading the TC's it was apparant the free one was something that should have been in a scrapheap instead.

That was Autoexchange and the free car was 6yr+ runabout iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

I might not be totally correct about the details, but I seem to remember the deal with the crowd I saw advertising was the second car was pre 00 and sold as seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,458 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

SUVs have gone completely out of fashion and the RR Sport probably more than most. Didn't Land Rover only sell 2 cars in the whole of Ireland in September?

I can see them come down a lot more in the next few months...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

When I buy a car, it's because I want one particular car. Not two cars, not a plasma TV, not a holiday voucher. Just the car, thanks.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    SUVs have gone completely out of fashion and the RR Sport probably more than most. Didn't Land Rover only sell 2 cars in the whole of Ireland in September?

I can see them come down a lot more in the next few months...
    Absolutely. The only thing keeping them afloat in the first place was that some people found them 'cool', once that's gone values are heading straight down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anan1 wrote: »
    When I buy a car, it's because I want one particular car. Not two cars, not a plasma TV, not a holiday voucher. Just the car, thanks.

The last place I worked in was constantly doing this. Free Golf Clubs, weekends away, accessories for the car. Every time it was suggested I pleaded for the money being spent on this frivolities to simply be used to prop up trade in prices/reduce cost to change, but no. The gimmicks had to be used come hell or high water.

Anyone with half a brain knows that gimmicks are just that. As Anan1 says, value should be based on the deal, not on the shiny baubles that are thrown in.

bf wrote: »
    There does seem to be some recognition from dealers that prices need to fall or customers need to be incentivised to buy - there was an ad in yesterday's Irish Times for a Lexus dealer out west offering a new Toyota Aygo with every second-hand lexus sold

If anyone's in the market for a Lexus second hand, I'll take the Aygo!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

good to see a dealer trying to give good value to make sales. Some interesting ones in there and would say he will sell a few. I drove the Mazda CX-7 a while back, it was great to drive and pretty fast, although tough on fuel. At 31k, thats 20k off new price for an 08 car which is decent value. It's really just an estate on stilts but car it is most similar to is the subaru forrester imo..

copacetic wrote: »
    good to see a dealer trying to give good value to make sales. Some interesting ones in there and would say he will sell a few. I drove the Mazda CX-7 a while back, it was great to drive and pretty fast, although tough on fuel. At 31k, thats 20k off new price for an 08 car which is decent value. It's really just an estate on stilts but car it is most similar to is the subaru forrester imo..
    That is an interesting one, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out. To tell the truth, i'd never even heard of it - one of the downsides of having grown out of the car mags, I suppose.

That is an interesting one, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out. To tell the truth, i'd never even heard of it - one of the downsides of having grown out of the car mags, I suppose.

It's interesting that all the cars are still on carzone at their full prices, possibly they are hoping to still snag the odd punter at the higher prices?

I think a lot of dealers have been waiting for the first one to jump and do something like this. Once people see it happen they really know what the value is and everyone has to follow or sell nothing.

and knock it off with the car mags jibe!! I had tried it as I have been debating a fastish 4 wheel drive/estate or going in the other direction a coupe. The CX-7 was up there with the forrester and the outback for driving imo, while was a bit more practical and had a much nice interior. Surprised you hadn't tried it yourself before you got your one. At the time I ruled it out as they were only offering 2-3k off the one I looked at, it was ex-demo and 46k list. It is now 36k on carzone! It looks like 30k is true value for an 08.

Even still they have such poor fuel consupmtion, not even an auto and that it still isn't really the 'smart' buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I seen one of those CX-7's a few months back and wondered aswell, what the hell it was.
    Can't see them selling that many with only a 2.3 petrol engine available. The emissions are off the roof aswell so tax is huge.

I suppose the Nissan Murano is in the same bracket aswell

They have a bigger CX-9 in the states....:eek:

I had tried it as I have been debating a fastish 4 wheel drive/estate or going in the other direction a coupe. The CX-7 was up there with the forrester and the outback for driving imo, while was a bit more practical and had a much nice interior. Surprised you hadn't tried it yourself before you got your one. At the time I ruled it out as they were only offering 2-3k off the one I looked at, it was ex-demo and 46k list. It is now 36k on carzone! It looks like 30k is true value for an 08.

Even still they have such poor fuel consupmtion, not even an auto and that it still isn't really the 'smart' buy.
    I'd definitely have driven one if i'd been aware of its existence! Looks like a more refined/better equipped version of the Forester. Expensive, though - it's at €39,995 on their website, and that appears to be net of the 20%? Where are you getting €31k from?

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    The emissions are off the roof aswell so tax is huge.
    I'd imagine that, like the old model Forester XT, anything not pre-registered before 01/08 is effectively sale-proof.

I'd definitely have driven one if i'd been aware of its existence! Looks like a more refined/better equipped version of the Forester. Expensive, though - it's at €39,995 on their website, and that appears to be net of the 20%? Where are you getting €31k from?

the website prices are pre 20% off, reduced prices here:

http://www.drive.ie/download/drivemotorgroup20off4.xls

2008 Mazda CX-7 SE 2.3 Turbo 3728
    was €39,950
    now €31,960

• Advertisement

the website prices are pre 20% off, reduced prices here:

http://www.drive.ie/download/drivemotorgroup20off4.xls

2008 Mazda CX-7 SE 2.3 Turbo 3728
    was €39,950
    now €31,960
    I don't know why, but that won't open for me. I'd say they may have to go even lower to shift that, TBH, especially given that it's manual. Great car for the right buyer, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Big +1, saw an ad on carzone offering a free christmas tree with a way ver priced hyundai coupe, at least i think it was a coupe. Keep your damned christmas tree and lower your prices!

Big +1, saw an ad on carzone offering a free christmas tree with a way ver priced hyundai coupe, at least i think it was a coupe. Keep your damned christmas tree and lower your prices!
    Plus, how is a Hyundai Coupé driver supposed to get their Christmas tree home?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hmmmm......they say this car has been reduced from 31500:
    2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 140ps Titanium X 15037 €31,500 €25,200

Funny that - they were listing it recently at a few quid under 30k! (in fact I offered them 30k for it about six months ago and was laughed at.......should have taken the sale guys!).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plus, how is a Hyundai Coupé driver supposed to get their Christmas tree home?

Christmas trees come packed in boxes these days so they can easily fit in the boot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

00D911 wrote: »

Dealers are open to offers considering whats going on in the Motor Industry and those that react will survive however there not going to give cars away.
    Theres plenty of good deals out there to be had on quality used cars however your dreaming if you think you will get a decent car with 40% Discount.
    IMO

Hardly and insult. Its an educated way of starting the bartering process. As a sales person myself you start where you want to be and they start where they want to be and meet in a happy place somewhere in the middle. If you start at his 20% then big deal for you, he stills gets a profit and you still get stiffed. Start lower and you will end lower.

I don't know why, but that won't open for me. I'd say they may have to go even lower to shift that, TBH, especially given that it's manual. Great car for the right buyer, though.

possibly, it isn't available in auto though. It would have to be ultra cheap to shift alright as basically you would be stuck with it forever once bought. I've decided to import myself, but if that was 25k (and not a C reg) maybe I'd change my mind!

You will be surprised at the pricing if you get the excel open if you thought the web prices included the discounts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Actually this Jag XF Premium Luxury at 60k isn't bad at all given an original list closer to 80k. They also have a lower Luxury model (here) listed at 65k but not on their sheet - I wonder could it be got for 52k?

possibly, it isn't available in auto though. It would have to be ultra cheap to shift alright as basically you would be stuck with it forever once bought. I've decided to import myself, but if that was 25k (and not a C reg) maybe I'd change my mind!
    Might not be what you're looking for, but this struck me as well-priced: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1273449
    I'm sure there's a bit of push-room too.

• Advertisement

Might not be what you're looking for, but this struck me as well-priced: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1273449
    I'm sure there's a bit of push-room too.

that is well priced, have been watching the 07 one in bray at 29k for a while. Reckon it is due a massive fall soon also. Would be good value at 20k..

Advertisement