Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco's are getting Hammered by Lidl/Aldi it seems

• 11-12-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Tesco to cut prices by 50%

tescobag.jpg
    11/12/2008 - 09:36:55
    Tesco today said it will slash prices by 50% in the latest round of discounting to hit the UK retail sector.

The supermarket chain said the sale, which starts tomorrow, would focus on Christmas essentials and gifts.

Britain’s biggest grocer said it was cutting prices early on around 1,000 items in response to customers’ reluctance to purchase items which would later be discounted.

Commercial director Richard Brasher said: “Some say that a bit of the pleasure they usually get from buying gifts has gone in the current climate.

“They’ve told us they still want to enjoy a special Christmas – with big presents for their children and a proper Christmas meal – but they want us to help make their money go further.”

Items to be discounted will include a quad bike, down from £80 (€91) to £32 (€36) and champagne flutes, reduced from £12 to £6, as well as seasonal foods such as Christmas pudding.

Earlier this month Tesco revealed its weakest UK sales performance since the last recession after a supermarket price war halved growth in the preceding quarter.

The supermarket posted a 2% increase in UK like-for-like sales, excluding petrol, in the 13 weeks to November 22, down from 4% the previous quarter.

But Tesco said the sales growth decline came as it cut prices to lure in cash-strapped shoppers, resulting in higher sales volumes and customer numbers.

Around 300,000 more customers were tempted into its stores each week by falling prices, according to the group.

Tesco said it was acting on the basis of its own research, which suggested that customers were delaying spending because of concerns about missing out on discounts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Kdub

That is in the UK, prices in Tesco's here are no way reflecting the current exchange rate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Kdub wrote: »
    That is in the UK, prices in Tesco's here are no way reflecting the current exchange rate!!

It can only be a matter of time here tho' surely.
    They are getting poleverised by the germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Champagne flutes and quad bikes? It sounds like they will only be slashing a very limited range of products. "Tesco to cut prices by 50%" seems like a very grand headline for what appears to be something that will have a pretty limited effect on the average person's grocery bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

cornbb wrote: »
    Champagne flutes and quad bikes? It sounds like they will only be slashing a very limited range of products. "Tesco to cut prices by 50%" seems like a very grand headline for what appears to be something that will have a pretty limited effect on the average person's grocery bill.

I dunno. I break a lot of champagne flutes when riding around on my quad bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not a Bargain Alert.. moved to Rip Off Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

It's all about convenience at the end of the day.

Its really not. Convenience is only one factor people take into consideration, and as the recession bites it is likely to become a smaller factor as people start paying more attention to the bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Just an example of Tescos prices here. My missus normally shops in Tescos and refused to go anywhere else for the weekly shop, partly due to the convienience factor. Yesterday, she went into an Aldi store for a look and ended up getting 31e worth of groceries. Nothing out of the ordinary, bread, milk, eggs, SLICED HAM,(this was the main reason, Aldi source some of their meat in the UK) etc.
    When she got home she compared these prices with Tescos online shopping site. The difference shocked her. Tescos price for the same items (granted not exactly the same) was 52e! Guess where she'll be shopping from now on:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Lidl are opening a branch very near me today. Are they worth a visit!! Whats the best value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I do all my major shopping in the north, for milk, bread and other day to day items I shop at Aldi/Lidl. I haven't been to Dunnes/Tescos in months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Lidl are opening a branch very near me today. Are they worth a visit!! Whats the best value.

Everything :D

Lidl/Aldi bread is rubbish, but I've found that everything else you buy there is at least as good as what you can get in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Lidl/Aldi bread is rubbish, but I've found that everything else you buy there is at least as good as what you can get in Tesco.

Have to agree somewhat, but the missus got Aldis 'premium' bread and it's no different than tescos mid range one, with the blue n white wrapper, not the crap value one. Got bread in Lidls long time back, nearly puked!!

The bread in lidl has improved, toasted its grand!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Any of the Lidl or Aldi cereals I've tried are rubbish. Not a patch on the 'proper' ones.
    But most of their other stuff is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

after TESCO rising prices constantly it's easy to shout "look, we cut prices by 50%". just to be at the same prices as before the rise...

the basics i get in ALDI and LIDL, other stuff (e.g. herbs and spices) in TESCO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Convenient to what?
    Perhaps if you walking it matters but who does a weeks shopping and walks with it?

Most Lidl places are only 2 mins out of the way by car and the difference in prices really is very big.

Perhaps its a lot less convenient in Dublin, but speaking for Cork, the vast majority of Lidl places are more convenient at the moment.

I used to regularly shop in the 24 hour Tesco in Mahon Point in Cork City, but a few months back when I compared prices, I stopped that.
    Besides, that dual carraigeway quickly becomes a car park at the weekend because the traffic system there is insane.
    My GF told me that they're not 24 hour there anymore, so they must be hurting (or else theft is up a lot).

The only drawback from shopping at Lidl is that they don't provide nutritional information on a lot of their produce.

P.S I haven't been to Aldi in a good while but they used to be more expensive than Lidl for a lot of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

fukcem, hope they choke on their profits. they vary rarely get my money despite being the biggest supermarket chain near me.

although i did hear that navan will be getting a marks and sparks shortly which is good. more expensive still, but good stuff. the missus will be in her element. :)

Any of the Lidl or Aldi cereals I've tried are rubbish. Not a patch on the 'proper' ones.
    But most of their other stuff is very good.

Their Muesli's not bad;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

Living in the West, I alternate between Lidl. Tesco and Super Valu locally, buying just 1/2 price deals or sale items and a trip to Enniskillen Tesco, Dunnes and Lidl. I find it worth about 50 euros difference in Enniskillen each trip or 15-20% better

Now, about Lidl, their Cafe Gold coffee, ginger nut biscuits, frozen pizzas, liter wine white or red Vin de Pays, Frozen haddock or cod, frozen spicy wedges, marmelades and jams in the square jars and anything German are excellent value and quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rcecil wrote: »
    Now, about Lidl, their Cafe Gold coffee, ginger nut biscuits, frozen pizzas, liter wine white or red Vin de Pays, Frozen haddock or cod, frozen spicy wedges, marmelades and jams in the square jars and anything German are excellent value and quality.
    QFT. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Lidl/Aldi were too late into the Irish Market and as a result they got the crap left over sites which are out of the way (from my experience anyway).
    I've shopped in Lidl once and i've never been in an Aldi.
    I visit a Tesco on average every 3 days. I don't see that changing, price cuts or price hikes.
    It's all about convenience at the end of the day.
    they are not all out in the countryside! lidl and the aldi store in Graigcullen in carlow are in residential areas and the other Aldi store is in the town centre! most of there stores are in residential areas with free parking!
    Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Convenient to what?
    Perhaps if you walking it matters but who does a weeks shopping and walks with it?

I used to regularly shop in the 24 hour Tesco in Mahon Point in Cork City, but a few months back when I compared prices, I stopped that.
    Besides, that dual carraigeway quickly becomes a car park at the weekend because the traffic system there is insane.
    My GF told me that they're not 24 hour there anymore, so they must be hurting (or else theft is up a lot).
    i walk to lidl twice a week and it is just as close as tescos but easier to get in and out of the carpark! people go to tescos in fairgreen and spend half the time in the carpark then another hour trying to battle through the crowd as the stores are laid out so badly.

tesco's in carlow is 24hour but i see no reason as the extra costs involved are being passed on to consumers and they get very few customers after 11pm. there is really no reason for any of these 24hour supermarkets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The biggest downside to Lidl/Aldi style stores are the checkout Queue. If there is one constant its that there will only ever be one or two people on the checkout and Queus stretching into the Isles.
    I filled a trolley once before Christmas last year in blanch, got to the checkout area and found two people and about 7 people with full trolleys in each Queue. So i left the trolley there and walked out. I probably went to tesco the following day :D

The one in Mullingar is much better though as it has less customers and more staff than others i have been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wanrek

I wonder how much business Lidl will do when all the Polish people leave next year?? I'd say they'll lose a lot??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

wanrek wrote: »
    I wonder how much business Lidl will do when all the Polish people leave next year?? I'd say they'll lose a lot??
    So are all the Polish leaving? :(Never heard that (must not read the news):o. I heard all the Irish were leaving for Australia though:D

Boo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

basquille wrote: »
    Not a Bargain Alert.. moved to Rip Off Ireland.
    I like it ,,,,,,

That's why you got my vote in the poll. HEY everyone vote for basquille here as poster of the year

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Saruman wrote: »
    So i left the trolley there and walked out.

That's considerate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Saruman wrote: »
    The biggest downside to Lidl/Aldi style stores are the checkout Queue. If there is one constant its that there will only ever be one or two people on the checkout and Queus stretching into the Isles.
    I have exactly the opposite experience in my local Lidl. The very minute there appears to be anything like a queue stretching into the "Isles" (:D) they call in extra checkout staff. This in direct contrast to the local Tesco that would have queues running out of the door if the customers' patience would stretch that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

wanrek wrote: »

That'll be a shame, I find the Poles infinitely preferable to a lot of Irish I know.
    I've rarely had the experience of long queues in my local Lidl/Aldi, normally they will ring a bell and another operator will open up very quickly. The checkout operators are usually very quick, indeed people have complained on Boards about not being able to keep up. My local Tesco, in Gorey, has recently given up 24 hr opening as well. In fairness, I have to say I've never had a bad experience in Tesco/ Dunnes/ Super Valu either, except Tesco stock levels seem to be very low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

boopolo wrote: »
    So are all the Polish leaving? :(Never heard that (must not read the news):o. I heard all the Irish were leaving for Australia though:D

Boo

Ive seen some of your posts around and they always confuse me because when you say "boo" at the end of every post i think you are saying something like "boo, down with that sort of thing", when in actual fact its your username:D

well, im off:P

Advertisement