Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Log book possibly stolen

Options
  • 11-12-2008 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi All

last night I found out my own car, and four others had been broken into in our 'secure' underground car park. it looks like they may have stolen the logbook from the glove box, but i'm not 100% sure of it.

is there anything nefarious they can do with the logbook?
    cheers!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The glove box is the daftest place to keep a logbook. Just had to say that. They could change the car ownership into any name they liked.

Just get a replacement, which cancels the previous book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Report it and get on to shannon ...........

the car could be transfered into their name ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Oryx wrote: »
    The glove box is the daftest place to keep a logbook.

you're not the first to say it! I had just come back from the tax office ... was lazy!

thanks both for the quick replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,996 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Transfer the car to their ownership, steal it and claim you sold it to them... get cracking on getting a new logbook ASAP.

Most manufacturers will issue a replacement key without the code card to anyone with proof of ownership + matching ID, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

MYOB wrote: »
    Transfer the car to their ownership, steal it and claim you sold it to them... get cracking on getting a new logbook ASAP.

Most manufacturers will issue a replacement key without the code card to anyone with proof of ownership + matching ID, by the way!

Unlikely to happen, but they could still do this even if you cancel the book. They could just show the log book & pretend that they "forgot ID". TBH I have never been asked for an ID or log book (VLC) when collecting keys. That includes 2 garages where I have never used before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement