Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomond Park to host football

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jackncoke wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2008/1211/thomondpark.html

They really are doing a great job at promoting the stadium,almost makes me wish I was actually from Limerick. :D

Saw the article in the Limerick Independant yesterday too, looks like a fantastic development for this part of the country :)

I was talking to my Dad about it last night, he remembers seeing Spurs play Limerick in the Markets Field years ago. There's been nothing like it for a long time.

On a seperate note, with plans approved for the new dog track on the Dock Road, has anybody heard rumours of Limerick FC (as they will once again be known) moving back into the old place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

An Fhile wrote: »
    Saw the article in the Limerick Independant yesterday too, looks like a fantastic development for this part of the country :)

I was talking to my Dad about it last night, he remembers seeing Spurs play Limerick in the Markets Field years ago. There's been nothing like it for a long time.

On a seperate note, with plans approved for the new dog track on the Dock Road, has anybody heard rumours of Limerick FC (as they will once again be known) moving back into the old place?

Far be it for me to question your fathers memory, but are you sure the Spurs game wasn't held in Thomond? Limerick FC used to play some of their bigger games there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Far be it for me to question your fathers memory, but are you sure the Spurs game wasn't held in Thomond? Limerick FC used to play some of their bigger games there.

You could be absolutely right!

And it's my memory you should be questioning, he did say Thomond, but I'd already forgotten! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya football in thomond would be great, get as much use out of that stadium as possible I say.
    It could turn into the RDS of limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yeah that would be great if this goes ahead.

The managers of thomond are doing a great job in promoting the stadium, already have two high profile concerts on next year and if they could pull this off then it would really put thomand park and limerick on the map .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Great news. I hope they get some top sides over.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shaniev

heard the rugby 7s are coming to thomand next year some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Shaniev wrote: »
    heard the rugby 7s are coming to thomand next year some time!

There's rugby 7's comp organised alright but it's not THE rugby 7's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Finding it hard to imagine.

Ireland and Poland obviously, but what other countries?
    It would have to be four countries, two semi's s playoff then a final.

As for Limerick FC, as far as I know they're still oficially planning on devloping what they have now, although a new plan appears every 6 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Finding it hard to imagine.

Ireland and Poland obviously, but what other countries?
    It would have to be four countries, two semi's s playoff then a final.

As for Limerick FC, as far as I know they're still oficially planning on devloping what they have now, although a new plan appears every 6 months or so.

It''s not an international tournament. It's clubs that they are in talks with, namely celtic and barcelona, liverpool and leeds (!?) are also in the mix. Would be great for the city if it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    .....It's clubs that they are in talks with, namely celtic and barcelona, liverpool and leeds (!?) are also in the mix.....

Support you local team !!!

It''s not an international tournament. It's clubs that they are in talks with, namely celtic and barcelona, liverpool and leeds (!?) are also in the mix. Would be great for the city if it happened.

They're also in talks about holding an international tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Oh no barbarians playing a gentlemans sport in a ground designed for gentlemen to play a barbarians sport. :D

Just looking into it.

The actual teams in contact are Barca, Real, Inter, and Sunderland.

Real and Barca have agreed in theory (we met their valuation), Sunderland are of course gonna say yes.
    No ord on Inter.

Great news.
    What a line-up.

Just looking into it.

The actual teams in contact are Barca, Real, Inter, and Sunderland.

Real and Barca have agreed in theory (we met their valuation), Sunderland are of course gonna say yes.
    No ord on Inter.

Great news.
    What a line-up.

Where did you hear about these clubs being in contact?

Where did you hear about these clubs being in contact?

A friend was at a press conference by the management.
    Those clubs were mentioned months ago, but haven't made it public.
    They only got the license midweek, so it was in the air untill then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fantastic2007

Here is the story.
    Football teams are confirmed as,
    Aston Villa, Liverpool and Barcelona.
    Then the fourth team in the tournament in August will be an Eircom League Selection.
    The rugby 7's info can be got from www.limerick7s.com

Hmm it will be interesting to see what LOI side will be chosen. Considering in will be mid season by the time this tournament comes around for the LOI

Hmm it will be interesting to see what LOI side will be chosen. Considering in will be mid season by the time this tournament comes around for the LOI

It would be nice to see a few local lads get a go, maybe from the Limerick under 21s, but it'll more than likely be players from the premier division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It'd be great to get to see Spurs play locally - the precedent's been set with the "re-enactment" of Munster v All-Blacks!

And it'd make a change from those commentators, TV stations and newspapers who show bias towards the "top 4" and then throw in Sunderland for no reason......let's see how long the Sunderland reports last now that Saddam Keane is gone.....

But fair play to the crew behind Thomond; I know part of it is an aim to get revenue to pay its way, but they've already proven that they're interested in getting events that might actually be of interest.....keep that up, and keep the prices reasonable, and Limerick will finally have somewhere to be proud of, and with no thanks to the public service or Government, either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Bah - Soccer in Thomond park??? Keep those prancing, diving, metrosexual divas out I say :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

World Class stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

oh great...sunderland!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Raiser wrote: »
    Bah - Soccer in Thomond park??? Keep those prancing, diving, metrosexual divas out I say :p

Barcelona and Liverpool playing in Limerick city. Unreal.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    And it'd make a change from those commentators, TV stations and newspapers who show bias towards the "top 4" and then throw in Sunderland for no reason......let's see how long the Sunderland reports last now that Saddam Keane is gone.....

And the award for the Greatest Use of Wild Exaggeration 2008 goes to... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Yes, and keep the sluggin posh ugly dumb lookin jocks in... I say bring in a bit of soccer during off peak. It would be brilliant for Some of the irish teams to have more exposure to the brilliance of these teams. Maybe our international team will get a lot better and the Irish league will become bigger, maybe a team will qualify for champions league. anyway i'm gettin ahead of myself.
    I'd def go and watch matches anyway. Hopefully Arsenal... doubt it tho. no Irish players there anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im sure they will let the proletariat in. Profit is profit in the end. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RONOC08

Raiser wrote: »

well said i hope they dont get near it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i have attended a few soccer games there, saw andy mc evoy, and a few other locals play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 0854603

no foreign sports in rugby grounds.

Advertisement