Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomond Park to host football

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I personally think its a brilliant Idea. Not because its soccer. Just because it would be great for the city of limerick. they should host a tournament during the summer. It would attract thousands and it would be really good.
    I also think people should look past all the bull**** about "its a rugby ground ladida..." we don't loike soccer, its for hooligans and people who are poor unlike us..." sport is sport. Its a rugby ground but whats wrong with a few freindly's to attract people during off-peak seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

0854603 wrote: »
    no foreign sports in rugby grounds.

By foreign do you mean not Irish ?

Because I hate to break the news to you that Rugby did not originate in Ireland :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

no foreign sports in rugby grounds.

Bahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 0854603

By foreign do you mean not Irish ?

Because I hate to break the news to you that Rugby did not originate in Ireland :pac:

rugby was founded by the GAA you muppet.

why do you think they play rugby in croke park?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Oh dear lord :D

• Advertisement

Is this guy for real?! :D

I actually cant stop laughing.

Surely a troll!

They play soccer in croke park too you clown. Look it up. Rugby is invented in england. Rugby was invented in Warwickshire, England in 1823 by William Webb Ellis.

srfron250207.jpg

Maybe this is him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It was rumoured that William Webb Ellis' father while stationed with the Black & Tans over here saw lads picking the ball up and run with it a la Bogball, and just changed the rules and shape of the football to suit Rugby!!

It was also said that web ellis picked up the ball in the middle of a soccer match and starting running with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Post of the year already:D

rugby IS a foreign game

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Epic troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sure we all know that hurling and bogball were invented in Scotland :D

Just kiddin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RONOC08

you sir are a tool:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

my god you people like to feed trolls dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

jackncoke wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2008/1211/thomondpark.html

They really are doing a great job at promoting the stadium,almost makes me wish I was actually from Limerick. :D

hmmm, I beg to differ. their website (http://www.thomondpark.ie) is only a placeholder, and in fact they only last week removed the only information available: a poster for 'high school musical' in november I think.

there isn't even a damn phone nmber on it.

sorry, but this ineptitude leaves me raging. typical Irish 'ah sure, the internet? sure what do we want with that...?'

g

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

right,anyway...in the paper today that Thomond may be used to hold an international friendly between us and Northern Ireland,would be a definite sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

right,anyway...in the paper today that Thomond may be used to hold an international friendly between us and Northern Ireland,would be a definite sell out
    I wouldn't be in favour of that fixture. There is still a sectarian trouble element attached to Northern Ireland soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Now all they have to do is solve the problem of the city grinding to a halt whenever there is anything on in Thomond Park, nice bit of forward planning......

Personally I believe, and always have, that the stadium shouldn't have been built there.

Doubt that will happen.

Sure there will be a new home nations tournament between ROI, NI, Wales and Scotland starting after the world cup to replace most of the friendlies that these countries play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Looks like Ireland soccer team to play there later in year....I think its great news as someone who doesnt follow rugby it'll be great to attend a game in the stadium....

and I dont like Elton John either :D
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0218/ireland.html

Looks like Ireland soccer team to play there later in year....I think its great news as someone who doesnt follow rugby it'll be great to attend a game in the stadium....

and I dont like Elton John either :D
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0218/ireland.html
    +1 on that. would love to get a ticket for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Would be great if it was v England!! Doubt it somehow, prob be against Poland and home fans will be outnumbered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

nah they'll all be back in lodz holding down a regular job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RONOC08

Doubt that will happen.

Sure there will be a new home nations tournament between ROI, NI, Wales and Scotland starting after the world cup to replace most of the friendlies that these countries play.

I Cant See That Taking Off Like its The 6 Nations Rugby Equivalent

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

RONOC08 wrote: »
    I Cant See That Taking Off Like its The 6 Nations Rugby Equivalent

It used to be a regular thing years ago, I can't see how it wouldn't "take off" if it was done every few years, with a good build-up to each one.

As for the 6 Nations comment... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Real Madrid coming to Thomond, now that would be sweet.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Real-Madrid-all-set-to.4999766.jp

EUROPEAN soccer giants Real Madrid appear to be finally on their way to the Mid-West, 29 years after their glamour European Cup tie with Limerick was controversially moved to Lansdowne Road.
    The Leader has learned that talks between officials from the aristocratic Spanish club and Thomond Park chiefs are at an advanced stage.

A Thomond Park source indicated that Real Madrid's 'galacticos' – including Raul, Sergio Ramos and Jan Huntelaar – are likely to play the high-profile friendly at the 26,000 capacity rugby stadium in July.

The source said that intense negotiations have been taking place for some time and the deal has been all but wrapped up. Real Madrid's opposition for the exciting fixture has yet to be finalised.

I wonder who Real will be playing ?

I wonder who Real will be playing ?

Caherdavin Celtic Junior Bs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Wow thats quite an announcement

Advertisement