Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mosconi Cup 2008 thread.

• 11-12-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm too optimistic thinking this will develop into a thread.

Anyway the 'Ryder Cup' of 9ball pool is on this week live on Sky Sports from Thursday to Sunday. Taking place in Malta this year.

This has been terrific entertainment the last few years especially last year when new rules effectively banning the soft break were introduced, which meant few racks were easy run-outs.

Teams.
    American Team the same as last year.
    Johnny Archer, Shane Van Boening, Jeremy Jones, Rodney Morris and Earl Booooooooooooooooooo Strikland.

Europe. Just the one change I think with reigning world champion Daryl Peach unceromoniously dumped.
    Ralf Suqoet, Niels Feijen, Mia Immonen Tony Drago and Mark Gray.

Last year Tony Drago won it almost singlehandedly with a performance level that he is unlikely to reproduce. So America are the more likely winners though Jones and Archer can be absolutely muck at times.

Heres hoping Earl The Pearl has plenty to moan about anyway.

AJ.

Herea link to players, TV times, format and rules etc.
    http://www.mosconicup.com/

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

It always makes for good TV, I shall be tuning in. (Providiong it doesnt interfere with me watching the UK Championship) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

As an aspiring 9 ball pro I shall be watching, some of the players that would be playing don't belong there at all. Johnny Archer springs to mind immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

have you managed a 147 dave?
    will be watching tonight too,that and the poker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Aaron M

Drago just f**ked it up royally! He was 4-1 ahead over Strickland to give Europe a 5-1 overall lead and he ended up losing 5-4. He scratched twice off the break! Jesus Tony.

A 5-3 lead to Europe after day 2 isn't too bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Aye, Drago threw that away, I suspected he wouldn't be able to do what he did last year and so far its not happening for him.

Happy enough with a 5-3 lead though.

LOL at Earl getting hammered 5-0 by Mika, and giving everyone in the audience the finger on his way out. I'm struggling to think of another sport you could get away with that in.

• Advertisement

LOL at Earl getting hammered 5-0 by Mika, and giving everyone in the audience the finger on his way out. I'm struggling to think of another sport you could get away with that in.

I know. It really is ridiculous. I'm a big fan of Strickland as a player, but as a sportsman he really leaves a lot to be desired. His behaviour is appalling at times - towards fans, players, and officials alike.

At the end of the day though, he draws crowds and people tune in to watch him play because they know you'll get fireworks with Earl.

Europe have a 7-4 lead now going into the three singles matches later this evening. Looking good so far. Immonen and Gray came back from 4-1 down to beat Archer and Jones 5-4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

9-5 for Europe at close of play, all looking good. 2 more games needed.

Souquet and Van Boening were having a cracker of a game tonight. Witn the German leading 3-2 there was a protracted battle over the 4 ball, lots of safety and the odd effort at 4-9 cannons. Then unfortunately SVB (98% deaf) didn't hear the 30 second shot clock giving him the 5 second countdown and time fouled. Bit of a shame really and RS ran out a 5-2 winner.

Not sure what they can do for SVB, it would be a bit offputting for someone to be tapping him on the shoulder or distracting his attention by signing at him when he needs to shoot.
    Maybe some sort of vibrating device on his toe linked to the shot-clock :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

staker wrote: »
    have you managed a 147 dave?
    will be watching tonight too,that and the poker.

Nope, 136 is still my highest break while playing against someone, 145 in the lineup but thats not very hard.

Unfortunately one of our lads called in sick which meant I had to work last night and tonight again, no pool for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Europe won 11-5
    Easy peasy Lemon Squeezy

Congratulations to Team Europe! Well deserved 11-5 win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Great result.

Take that Earl! :pac:

Advertisement