Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC random disconnects & slowdown

Options
  • 11-12-2008 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello,

I've got UPC cable broadband - the 10mb package. I've a bit of a convoluted setup - the standard modem/router they give you ('Scientific Atlanta'), and my own Sweex wireless router connected to that.

Usually, downloads and web browsing are ok, not amazing, but fine. (I usually get around 500 - 700kbps on Steam downloads for example, and a lot less from anywhere else). The problem though, is that the connection randomly drops. The wireless receiver will go from having a good connection to not detecting the computer at all (desktop or laptop), despite nothing having moved, etc. Sometimes if I restart the routers or disconnect & reconnect the wireless receiver it might reconnect - but it's by no means a guaranteed fix.

About 75% of the time it's fine - but sometimes it mightn't work properly for a day or two consecutively. It's just inconsistent and intermittant.

I rang UPC, and a fairly helpful guy said that my connection had been 'connected' for 8 days straight, but the connection had been 'dropping'. He said I probably just needed to reconfigure my router. He said I could call the router support line (in India), or ring Cobweb on a 1550 number, which "is more expensive, but I know the guy and he'll get it sorted for you in a couple of minutes."

Now obviously I'd prefer not to ring either of these dubious phone contacts. Any idea what I would need to do to reconfigure the router? Or was he talking rubbish? Are these connection drops normal? Might the two routers be the problem?

If people need speed test / ping tests / more info I can run them later - I'm not near the offending connection at the moment.

Any help appreciated - networking melts my brain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Get a program called NetStumbler. It is highly possible that there are other wifi network close to you that are on the same channel. This will cause interference.

NetStumbler will tell you what channels your surrounding wifi points are on. You then put yours own one on an unused channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

Thanks for the tip - not something I'd considered before - I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

jusk wrote: »
    and my own Sweex wireless router
    Thats probably your problem, if you're connected directly to the SA router do you see the same drops?

Just an update on this -

I tried NetStumbler - as suggested. My wireless router had been broadcasting on channel 6 - the same channel as two other networks in my area. I changed it to channel 3, and the connection hasn't dropped since.

I'll need to see how it pans out over a week or two, as my problems were only intermittant - but looks good so far.

yarnhall - I don't know - to be honest I've never left a computer connected to the router directly for a long enough period of time to tell. It's not really practical given the location of the router & ntl connection, etc. If the problems persist, this is something I'll explore further.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Glad to have helped. It's the most common reasons for wifi disconnects. Either that or being too close to the microwave oven :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

jusk wrote: »
    Just an update on this -

I tried NetStumbler - as suggested. My wireless router had been broadcasting on channel 6 - the same channel as two other networks in my area. I changed it to channel 3, and the connection hasn't dropped since.

I'll need to see how it pans out over a week or two, as my problems were only intermittant - but looks good so far.

yarnhall - I don't know - to be honest I've never left a computer connected to the router directly for a long enough period of time to tell. It's not really practical given the location of the router & ntl connection, etc. If the problems persist, this is something I'll explore further.

Thanks for the suggestions!

FYI its is reccomended to leave 5 channel seperation between wi-fi networks so if the i
    other networks are on channel 6 its probably best to put your network on channel 1 to make sure there is no interference at all....

Neacy - thanks for the tip. I'm surrounded by a lot of networks - in an apartment block, so i don't think I'll be able to get a 5-channel gap. But I'll check again to try and get the optimal channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Some of the newer N routers have automatic separation built into them. It automatically scans the various wifi channels and selects the one it believes to be optimal.

However then one I had (before it had a wee fall) did this too often resulting in random disconnects and reconnects every couple of hours so i had to disable it.

Advertisement