If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Series 7 and 9

Options
  • 11-12-2008 12:35pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im thinking of a 46" LED back lit TV and the Samy 786 or the 956 would be ideal. Do richer sounds do these mo0dels and if so how much?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

email them, or ring much quicker generally

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Droped an email to sales@richer as well.

Got an email back, Taht dont do them for some mad reason :(

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Rew wrote: »
    Got an email back, Taht dont do them for some mad reason :(

Rew, as per my email apologies again - that we don't stock them - there are a number of reasons - the main one is that our UK Cousins don't do them and we source our Sammys there (which is how come we are soo cheap).

The next reason is that we do stock quite a large range of TV and we only have a shop and a store about the size of a large filing cabinet!

Finally the way we purchase to achieve critical price points is that we select a range and purchase huge quantities of that range so in conjunction with our suppliers we can offer Customers great pricing - it's not always possible to buy huge quantities of every model and still be the cheapest .

It is sods law that we DO range the 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 series from Samsung but you are looking for either the 7 or 9!! aaaarrrggghh, ....again if there are any alternative TV's we can assist you with please don't hesitate to contact me directly on johnmc@richersounds.ie and I will do my best to sort you out and again apologies.

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

No worries John I appreciate the replies. You guys do a great job but I am surpriesed that your do all the sammy range but these considering the 9 is the flagship model and the 786 is a cut down 9.

Haven't decided if ill go for one of your other 46" of get one shipped from the UK.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Rew the LED back lit Samsung are a bad purchase IMHO.

These TV's are bad for playing video games on as they have very high latency (60ms) which would get you killed in most games.

And if you aren't interested in video games (and even if you are), then you should really be looking at the newly reduced Pioneer Kuro 5090 (which is simply best TV on the market*) or for a cheaper price a Panasonic 50PZ80 or 50PZ81 which will give you a better picture quality then the Samsung.

If your heart is set on LCD and you do play games, then I'd recommend a Sony w4500 or the non LED back lit Samsung 8 series (there are two models a LED back lit one and a non LED back lit one).

* Well strictly speaking Pioneer has it's replacement out, the KRP-500a, which while it uses the exactly the same panel, but thinner, seems to have a slightly better picture quality due to new electronics, however it is also €400 more, so the 5090 is a perfectly brilliant alternative.

Im aware of all that and in reality most people don't notice the lag, there are you tube vids that demo it as well. The W4500 is QC issues according to alot of owners (alot of clouding on the screen) and isn't all that special really. The 9 series has been reviewed as being as being almost Kuro like in terms of blacks and visual quality. Kuro's despite the price drop are mega bucks!!

I have looked at Plasmas and LCD's and I dont know why people rave on about Plasmas being so amazing there isn't that much in it. In fact I looked at some of the panny's beside LCD's and the LCD's were better in my view.

Theres no LED backlit 8 your thinking of the 7 series. There is also the power saving, the LED sets are alot lighter on juice then plasma's and other LCD's.You can stick the Sammy's in to game mode and the latency drops way down, the down side is the screen brightness lock in a very high setting.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have looked at Plasmas and LCD's and I dont know why people rave on about Plasmas being so amazing there isn't that much in it. In fact I looked at some of the panny's beside LCD's and the LCD's were better in my view.

That is because in most shops, neither the LCD's nor the Plasmas are properly calibrated, usually they are simply stuck in crappy shop mode (overly bright, etc.) and are playing off a rubbish distributed signal.

Trust me a ISF calibrated Pioneer Kuro would blow you away.

You are right about the power usage, Plasmas suck lots of juice, it is pretty much the only disadvantage of the high end plasmas, otherwise they are great, however if you are dropping this much money on a TV, is it really that big a deal (it is a bit like buying a Jaguar and complaining about it's fuel economy!! :)

BTW if you do get on of these Sammys, you can use the following trick to force it into Game mode:

"If your game console lacks VGA output, the same effect can be achieved by connecting it to the [HDMI 2] port, and then labelling the input as [PC]."

This will drop the latency from 60ms to 30ms, however if you are a serious gamer, particularly online, then this would still be too high, the plasma are generally close to 0 ms latency.

Got this from the great review here:
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-le55a956-20081106134.htm

you should also check out their review of the Pioneer Kuro 5090:
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Pioneer-PDP-LX5090/

A Kuro is mega bucks a series 9 which is all most as good is €1500 :D 2k for the 50" is attractive but too rich for my blood.

In saying that I might go for this. 50" wont fit the space I have I dont want to go down to a 42".

Anyone know what the speakers and stands that come with it are? Might take a spin to Belfast tomorrow to do the crimbo shoppin.

I have a PS3 and Wii for games sand BluRay and Sky HD BTW. BluRay picture being the main interest. I've ssen an 55" Series 9 playing Transformers and wow!

I've read all the reviews and threads on AV Forums to death at this stage!!

In saying that I might go for this. 50" wont fit the space I have I dont want to go down to a 42".

Ah fair enough, if it is too big then it is too big. A Pioneer for 2k is around the same cost (or even a little cheaper) then a 52" Sammy 9, that is why I mentioned it, I didn't realise that 46" was your limit.

Yes the Panny PZ85 is also an excellent TV.

Enjoy your TV shopping.

• Advertisement

The 55" Series 9 is ~€2500.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheMidger

Did you get a Samsung in the end? I am looking at the 956 42" myself and wondering who to buy from.

Nope I actually got a 46" Panasonic PZ85B. Sittin watchin it here ATM and couldn't be happier. I would have liked a 956 but the price was too much in the end and very hard to find them as well. There is no 42" 956 just 40, 46 and 52.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheMidger

Well done Rev. Its a chore arriving at a decision :)

Does the z85B have an mpeg4 tuner and VHF/UHF? It was on my shopping list until I saw the picture on the 756 & 956 in DID yesterday.

I saw the 42PZ800B on http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Panasonic_TH-42PZ800B__42_Inch_1080P_Full_HD_Plasma_TV_TH-42PZ800B/version.asp
    cost = £1149.97 but dont know if they'll deliver to ROI :confused:
    It seems like a good price for this tv.

You can get too caugth up in the process when in reality once its a decent set and its in your living room you wont knwo the minior difernece bwtween it and any other set! :D

I belive it is MPEG4 but I haven't tested it or looked in to it too much. I have SkyHD and it has everything I want in it.

Its not really fair to discuss TV's that richersounds don't stock and other retialiers on richersounds forum so ill follow up over on the Home Entertainment one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qbhod

This sounds like the Samsung im looking for at the mo, the A965. You mentioned it was easier to find in 46", do you know of any places still? Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Qbhod,

apologies for the delay in my reply.

The only 46" sammy we have in stock at the moment is the LE46A686 which retails at £999.95 http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SAMS-LE46A686

We do have the LE40B7020 coming soon at £1259.95 http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SAMS-LE40B7020 which I have not actually seen in anger yet - but I hear is very impressive.

Drop me a line if thses or any other TV's on www.richersounds.com grab your fancy!

Thanks again,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clemtek

Hey rew where can i get a 9 series for 2500e and is that the 46?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Howdy clemtek, welcome to Boards :).

This forum is for commercial interraction (looking for quotes, making delivery enquiries, buying stuff etc) with Richersounds, please have a read of the Charter for the general rules of the forum.

This thread is well over a year old and its not advised to resurrect old threads. If you are looking for a quote or advice from Richersounds, please feel free to open a new thread. If you have other general AV related queries, please do not post them here, feel free to use the Home Entertainment Forums here on Boards - link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=863.

I'm closing this thread.

Cheers,

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.