Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transitioning from old car to new(ish)

Options
  • 11-12-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. I'm driving a '99 Mitsubishi Carisma with 130k miles on the clock, I'm doing 20k miles a year, and I know that the car will eventually need replacement, even though it's driving very well at this point, and only ever refused to go on three occasions (battery, clutch cylinder and an encounter with an immovable object).

The thing is, money is tight, and it makes economic sense to drive the thing until it chokes, so as to have other loans paid off, some savings built up, and reduce the amount of a loan I need. However as I depend on my car to get to work, I can't afford to be off the road for any more than a day or two.

On the "purchase" side of things, it seems the best approach would be to import from the UK, since I'll eventually be looking for something like a diesel Accord or Mondeo, ideally from '08, so as to benefit from the road-tax changes. My budget would be around €20k. Of course I'd need a few days to get over there, get the car back, NCT and VRT it, etc., and these things are probably best planned carefully, rather than being forced into it by circumstances.

What would be the best approach in this situation? How long would it take to bring a car in from the UK, from seeing it on a website to having it with Irish plates in the driveway?

And my own car - how will I know when it's time to give up? I get it serviced regularly, it has a new timing belt, etc., but are there warning signs?

Would it make any sense to import, and then have the newer car off the road? Or is there any economic sense in having two cars myself, with one for driving to work and the other for "nice" use, keeping the high mileage off the newer car while the older one is still alive.

Your thoughts please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

fricatus wrote: »

On the "purchase" side of things, it seems the best approach would be to import from the UK, since I'll eventually be looking for something like a diesel Accord or Mondeo, ideally from '08, so as to benefit from the road-tax changes. My budget would be around €20k.

If you are importing it it does not have to be 08 or later for the new rates, they will apply to all imported cars regardless of year AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

If you are importing it it does not have to be 08 or later for the new rates, they will apply to all imported cars regardless of year AFAIK

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

That is incorrect. VRT will be calculated on emissions for all cars (regardless of age) alright, but road tax on a pre 2008 car will still go by engine size

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

my bad, was referrring to VRT and didn't obviously read post well enough to pick up the road tax bit:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I'd recommend keeping the car until it dies, then buy a 3 year old motor in the UK and import it. - the savings in depreciation alone would far outweigh the cost of tax.

I'm driving an '98 Almera with 158k miles, and thats my plan :) - I don't think it will die though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Cionád wrote: »
    I'd recommend keeping the car until it dies, then buy a 3 year old motor in the UK and import it. - the savings in depreciation alone would far outweigh the cost of tax.

I'm driving an '98 Almera with 158k miles, and thats my plan :) - I don't think it will die though. :D

+1

Keep driving the car, its the best option at the moment. By june you'll have your pick of decent quality used cars. If you are keeping the car you need to realise that all cars need maintenance and this applies to older cars especially. I run a banger (200k mls) and maintain it properly, which means I spend 750-1000 p.a. on maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

Cionád wrote: »

Yep, keep it, mine has 185K on it and is driving like a new one. Timing chains are great:D
    Your Mitshi will go forever with regular servicing.
    Theres no rush to buy a new one, you can take your time looking.
    If it does die for whatever reason there are a lot of quality motors out there for >€1000 that would keep you on the road.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

Drive her for as long as you can, don't be caught out like so many others that feel the need to buy a new car, and then watch it loose its value as soon as its driven out of the garage. Irish people seemed to have been brainwashed by car advertisers as they 'must' change their car every year or two. Keep yourself out of debt and save yourself 20k, no loans, no hassle, just recession proof motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Keep your current car, it owes you nothing at this stage. Don't be in a hurry to get into debt until you have to.

Advertisement