Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon 2: prepare to bend over and recieve ur destiny!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ckal wrote: »
    If you don't vote yes, we'll leave you behind.
    They have no choice but to do that. They are just the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't respect a certain country's vote when they use scaremonger tactics towards us to vote yes.
    WooPeeA wrote: »
    What tactics?
    PLEASE VOTE NO!!
    And automatically become responsible for kicking Ireland out of European community
    These tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

The French and Dutch rejected it by referendum.

Sarkozy's election manifesto said he would ratify the treaty if elected.

The French people voted for him, and guess what, he ratified it.

The Dutch had a parliamentary vote, which who, funnily enough, were elected by the Dutch people

Democracy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

cooperguy wrote: »
    They have no choice but to do that. They are just the facts

Ffs, of course they have a choice! They could legally amend the treaty (in which country's have to re-ratify it if they are happy with it) and let us vote on the legally-binding amended treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

heres another fact, under eu rules all countries must ratify the treaty for it to come into force, now we are being told that they will go ahead without us (breaking their own rules) while at the same time they are telling us that they respect the irish vote? give me a break

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

utick wrote: »
    the vote is weather to accept or reject the lisbon treaty, just 2 choices, there is no third choice to leave the eu. the only way ireland can leave is if we vote ourselves out.
    They were working on that treaty hard, negotiating, debating and changing everything for 10 times. It may surprise you but Ireland made big part of that. Irish delegations were traveling among Europe trying to convince people to accept several articles of the treaty.

All of the states were working like that until all of them accepted the final text. And all of them, as they promised to each other before have ratified it. It took 3 years.

Don't be surprised if some of the MEPs will get really mad. They spent most of their terms of office working on that project.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I voted yes. I would consider myself very much a fan of the EU, and what it stands for. But when the people vote no, then that is our decision in a democratic country.

You can't just re-submit it to the people again because it was the "wrong" answer. This isn't democracy.

Brian Cowan couldn't really have done a worse job here. The worst part is, no one in Irish politics is actually any good, so doesn't matter who's at the top, because they're all complete gobsh1tes.

Sarkozy's election manifesto said he would ratify the treaty if elected.

The French people voted for him, and guess what, he ratified it.

The Dutch had a parliamentary vote, which who, funnily enough, were elected by the Dutch people

Democracy etc.

That doesn't prove that the majority of the Dutch and French like the treaty. They obviously don't if they rejected it. I could hate the treaty, but like Sarkozy for many other reasons. He could have proposed a min-wage increase in the public sector and he could have added an extra x-euro onto monthly child benefits. I'd vote for him then, still knowing that the treaty may be ratified, but just because he ratifies it doesn't mean it will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

utick wrote: »
    heres another fact, under eu rules all countries must ratify the treaty for it to come into force, now we are being told that they will go ahead without us (breaking their own rules) while at the same time they are telling us that they respect the irish vote? give me a break

hear, hear!

The French and Dutch rejected it by referendum.
    So EU made lots of research to know the reasons. They spoke to people, organized many debate in schools and universities, they spoke to government as well as opposition which could take power in the future.

They mad all changes that people wanted.
    The Czech aren't keen.
    Klaus has to sign it. After 2 elected by people chambers of parliament will ratify the treaty, president has to sign it.

President Klaus has almost no support. People simply don't like him.

I don't know about Germans.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    These tactics.
    It's called geopolitic futurology. :cool:

So EU made lots of research to know the reasons. They spoke to people, organized many debate in schools and universities, they spoke to government as well as opposition which could take power in the future.

They mad all changes that people wanted.

Why aren't they doing that for us, then? Why are we getting shunned? They haven't re-written the treaty for us like the did for the Dutch and French.

Klaus has to sign it. After 2 elected by people chambers of parliament will ratify the treaty, president has to sign it.

President Klaus has almost no support. People simply don't like him.

I meant the Czech Public. Whether he's liked or not, people can still dislike the treaty, which some Czech's do. Every country has a big chunk who won't agree with things, but they simply can't vote on the matter at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

And my point is proven very quickly!

Ah yes you found the ONLY person that voted No. Well done 100% of no voters are mistaken :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I see the British have gripes too about us.
    The Mail (yea! I know :rolleyes: ) say we are being "bribed"
    Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1093813/Lisbon-adopted-EU-leaders-agree-bribes-convince-Irish-voters-vote-yes-Treaty-second-referendum.html

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ah yes you found the ONLY person that voted No. Well done 100% of no voters are mistaken :rolleyes:
    Well done on missing the point. I was saying people who vote no because they want to "get back at the government" instead of dealing with the issues at hand are'nt the brightest sparks. That was what I was referring to:rolleyes:

Well done on missing the point. I was saying people who vote no because they want to "get back at the government" instead of dealing with the issues at hand are'nt the brightest sparks. That was what I was referring to:rolleyes:

You also stated that the bull**** assurances on crap like conscription and abortion should satisfy all no voters. Assuming we all voted on non-issue topics like those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mrspinkbunny

And my point is proven very quickly!

Yeah Yeah! Like your rye attiitude doesn`t mean I`m right grow up!

Biggins wrote: »
    I see the British have gripes too about us.
    The Mail (yea! I know :rolleyes: ) say we are being "bribed"
    Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1093813/Lisbon-adopted-EU-leaders-agree-bribes-convince-Irish-voters-vote-yes-Treaty-second-referendum.html

YEP!

Yeah Yeah! Like your rye attiitude doesn`t mean I`m right grow up!
    Your telling me to grow up:rolleyes: Your the one who thinks you'll be teaching the government a lesson. Here is a quick one for you. Thats what local and general elections are for. So enough with the tantrum and deal with the issues at hand and not the ones you would like to be voting on

Still right cooperboy!

• Advertisement

I`m taking an issue out of there book they have quite a long history of linking unrelated things don`t they. Clearly it works so lets turn this into a loud and clear attack on this Government. The end for me justifies the means I don`t agree with Lisbon and I don`t agree with Lisbon two bird one stone! Oh maybe I should do leafleting or something stir the hate and get my way isn`t that just turning there tactics against them?

Oh and something that was pointed out over in the politics forum. Some people voted No because they didnt want to loose a commissioner. Now they are in the situation where they have to vote Yes if they dont want to loose a commissioner because under the Nice Treaty the Commission is being reduced in size at the end of next year. Therefore the only way to keep the commissioner is to vote Yes and take advantage of the concession given to us with Lisbon

Oh and something that was pointed out over in the politics forum. Some people voted No because they didnt want to loose a commissioner. Now they are in the situation where they have to vote Yes if they dont want to loose a commissioner because under the Nice Treaty the Commission is being reduced in size at the end of next year. Therefore the only way to keep the commissioner is to vote Yes and take advantage of the concession given to us with Lisbon

Agreed and as I pointed out in that thread those who thought it pointless to keep the extra commissioners as they're arent actually there to fight for one country but to do what's best for Europe, which was most of the Yes voters argument in lisbon 1, now need to vote NO to keep the rules as laid out by Nice to get rid of the excess ones.
    Kinda ironic eh? :D

I like our constitution and our country just the way it is (minus the current bunch of wasters and the already amended laws under the eu). I do not choose to move toward but rather away from a more united europe.

a more united europe.
    Which of coarse is how the country became what it is today, without a united europe Ireland would be very different. And this treaty streamlines that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I might be wrong here so please correct me if I am wrong, the govt have said that they have negotiated hard, and got guarantees on three key issues.

However at the time of the vote these issues were so supposed to be guaranteed anyway.

What has changed?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I might be wrong here so please correct me if I am wrong, the govt have said that they have negotiated hard, and got guarantees on three key issues.

However at the time of the vote these issues were so supposed to be guaranteed anyway.

What has changed?
    They worked hard to get the commissioner. Some nations still arent happy with that.

The other issues were always gauranteed that way

Which of coarse is how the country became what it is today, without a united europe Ireland would be very different. And this treaty streamlines that

Eh what has the country become?
    I see more unhappy stressed people and a third world infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

They worked hard to get the commissioner. Some nations still arent happy with that.

The other issues were always gauranteed that way

So despite what we were told before vote number 1, it was negotiable and it wasn't the only deal in town.

• Advertisement

Eh what has the country become?
    I see more unhappy stressed people and a third world infrastructure?
    Well I suppose Ill give one quick example. That third world infrastructure your on about, have you noticed any of the new first world stuff? The motorways etc. Now have you noticed the big signs saying funded by the EU?

Also I suppose the full employment up until this year was another happy side effect of the EU

Advertisement