Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are current GPS maps just not good enough for rural Ireland?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to figure out what is the best GPS device for my girlfriend's Dad and have been searching around on this forum (though it does seem to be one of the least helpful forums on boards.ie with little by way of knowledge sharing from experienced posters to newbies).

He lives in rural Sligo and the picture I'm forming based on reading around is that the current GPS maps from Garmin and TomTom don't do a great job of mapping rural townlands. As he does most of his driving in those areas I'm wondering is there any point in getting him a GPS as he will only be interested in a GPS if it does the core tasks of mapping and route planning well?

Likewise, my own mother in Dublin would like a GPS but mainly for journeys down the country where it sounds like they're weakest. If it could direct her away from traffic jams that would be a big reason to get it that might overweigh any route planning weaknesses.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There shouldn't really be any problems with any maps for the cities unless there is a lot of new building going on, unlikely for the moment. All the rural areas should be well covered by now as well, it's just a matter of opinion as to how each company has decided to map the areas.

You can view the Garmin maps online here and check that where ever you want to be going is covered.

There is no live traffic update service for Ireland yet so if you run across a jam the best course of action will be to make a random turning in the approximate direction you want to go, then use a bit of common sense as to when you start following the re-calculated routes again which will be trying to direct you back to where you came from and hope that you rejoin past the jam.

GPS systems are all excellent at telling you where you currently are and the end point of your journey is, and assuming you have selected the correct end point will always get you there. What happens in between is another matter entirely and you should always employ a degree of sceptisim with any instructions that Hal gives you. People get into trouble with GPS systems when they trust it entirely and forget to learn how to read road signs and paper maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Excellent reply robinph.

As you mention, TMC or whatever Traffic Channel gimmick that a sales person tries to impress you with, is a waste of time, as it's not setup in Ireland. I think this requires small transmitters to be positioned along the roads, and we don't have any.

I offered this in another thread, so I'll put it here too.
    I currently have a Garmin 255W, TomTom One V3, TomTom Go 720 and a TomTom 910 (coming next week), so I'll gather up what maps are running on these and post the info.
    But if you have any specific questions, about specific locations, or specific routes, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer.

Would I have a preference between Garmin or TomTom?
    Not really, as the map detail on both, is good enough for me.
    I decided to go with a TomTom unit, as I personally felt the route planning was better.
    It's really like trying to judge between two identical spec'd laptops made by different suppliers. Personal preference will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

I use a Garmin 250W & am always travelling country roads, granted the unit is still using 2008 maps (it's not as if the C class roads will sprout new direction anyways) but it has found me some excellent shortcuts & sideroads that i would have missed otherwise.
    It does have its downside though. Even when unpaved roads & off road are checked to avoid, some of those backroads it tries to direct down can be little more than cattle tracks. In saying that i've found the sat navs to be invaluable, the rural routes definitely are well covered but as robinph mentions, always carry the reliable road map too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Does anyone know if the M6 or even the M4 are on the latest garmin or tom tom maps? I got a nuvi 255 recently but it didnt seem to have any of the newer motorways on it at all.
    Are there any gps devices that have the maps anywhere as recent as google maps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

i got the latest tomtom maps and the m6 and m4 are covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

i got the latest tomtom maps and the m6 and m4 are covered

Thanks, I'll get a Tom Tom as a present in the new year so.
    I updated my maps on my garmin and it still didnt cover the m6 or m4!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Father has the Garmin 660 Nuvi (latest software/maps)

Just left of the Texaco station, we noticed a new road (on the Garmin device) there when driving by it. New road led into an estate that was built in the months since we last drove past there. My point: Garmin maps seem good for the rural towns.
    [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/3532/68922.JPG[/url]

Pretty sure the M4 was there when he got the device. He's not sure about the M6, as he hasn't used it (the M6) recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Does anyone know if the M6 or even the M4 are on the latest garmin or tom tom maps?

You can check the Garmin maps coverage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

just remember one thing re mapping......

ALL
    maps
    Are
    At
    Least
    One
    Step
    Behind
    the
    Latest
    Map
    Update

.......Thats business!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have a Navigon 2110 Max , it uses Navteq Maps and shows townlands.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the M6 or even the M4 are on the latest garmin or tom tom maps? I got a nuvi 255 recently but it didnt seem to have any of the newer motorways on it at all.
    Are there any gps devices that have the maps anywhere as recent as google maps?

I'm using the, fairly new, UK & ROI Map V815.2003 (there is a newer version V815.2024 but that doesn't support ALG & IQ on my device).

The M4 is called the M4 upto half way between Kinnegad and Mullingar, then, even though it still shows two roads, it's called the N4. These two roads continue until, about 600yds, past the R394 Castlepollard Road. Then it becomes a single road again.

The M6 appears to be there, although it's still called the N6, but shows two roads. This starts at the M4 J11, and runs until the far side of Athlone, where it becomes a single road N6.

Hope this helps.

The existance, or otherwise, of motorways on any GPS maps should be the least of your worries.

The roads that you do need covered are streets in the cities, towns, back country roads and such like. Nobody should be needing a GPS to assist them in getting around motorways as they are only used for getting between one big population centre and another, all of which are well signposted as you go along said motorway and you should know before heading out approximately which town it is that your aiming for. Once you leave the motoray and more major roads is when you can make use of the GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

robinph wrote: »
    The existance, or otherwise, of motorways on any GPS maps should be the least of your worries.

The roads that you do need covered are streets in the cities, towns, back country roads and such like. Nobody should be needing a GPS to assist them in getting around motorways as they are only used for getting between one big population centre and another, all of which are well signposted as you go along said motorway and you should know before heading out approximately which town it is that your aiming for. Once you leave the motoray and more major roads is when you can make use of the GPS.

Agreed.

Are people getting very excited about map updates in general? How many people buy paper road maps, throw them in the bin in 12 months and buy a new one?

leex wrote: »
    Agreed.

Are people getting very excited about map updates in general? How many people buy paper road maps, throw them in the bin in 12 months and buy a new one?

Jeez, it's usually like a ghost town in this section, tumble weed everywhere!
    So when someone asks a question, let's just try answering it, (if you can), rather than questioning peoples perceptions.

I'm sure a few people will either be buying, or will be bought, a new Sat Nav for Christmas, so map updates or map details are an important consideration.
    How is someone supposed to know the details of roads in their areas, without asking someone who already has a Sat Nav?

I'd consider someone asking about the M4 and the M6 to be very relevent; as both roads are fairly new, if they're on the latest maps, then most likely, other newish roads are too.

My Mother got a Sat Nav to get her from Carlow Town to the new shopping centre in Naas (name escapes me), all main roads, but poorly signposted.
    She's been there 4 times now, but still uses it.
    Not everyone needs back roads, let alone can read/use a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

robinph wrote: »
    Nobody should be needing a GPS to assist them in getting around motorways as they are only used for getting between one big population centre and another
    Imagine this: you go through Lucan village, it's 5pm on a Friday evening, and are told "go through Leixlip village", on the way to Mullingar. You have no clue how to get there, but luckily you got a sat nav to tell you the _SHORTEST_ route, so you avoid the big motorway you see before Leixlip...

I know, I know, planning the route is helpful, but why plan a route if you spend €300 on a sat nav to tell you the shortest route, one may say?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

i suppose the golden rule is...........dont rely too much on satnavs!

or am i missing the point?

eirlink wrote: »
    i suppose the golden rule is...........dont rely too much on satnavs!
    That is all really, I could have probably said it better.

New map updates are good and the more roads included in those maps is also a good thing. Someone getting their first GPS and choosing one unit over another though should not be down to if a particular section of motorway exists in the default maps or not. Those kinds of changes to the maps are more relevant for people who already have a unit and are trying to figure out if it's worth the time/ money to put the new maps on or not.

Too many people in general seem to think that a GPS unit is the solution to them constantly getting lost on their way between home and work and that it will make them better drivers or something. If you don't know how to make a cursory glance at a paper map/ Google maps and then have a vague idea of which direction your supposed to be going in before heading out and thus knowing what things you should be looking out for on the road signs then a GPS unit is not going to help matters.

Learn to read maps/ road signs first and take whatever your satnav tells you to do with a large pinch of salt.

Advertisement