Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TV3 the worst channel possible?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    It doesn't have The Angelus

True. I don't think it has any words of God Im afraid :)

Fair play to RTE for making some effort at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

On the plus side for all the TV3 haters out there, at least the only taxpayers money they get is from RTE advertising on them. Maybe the odd grant here and there...

If RTE is to improve TV3 need to start improving. RTE still have a monopoly, but that is only because TV3 are unwilling to compeat with them.

TV3 earn alot of money and while there is nothing wrong with that they still need to provide something more, they are just ITV the show shows that anyone could show, there is really nothing different about them.

That is the fundamental problem with TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

True. I don't think it has any words of God Im afraid

Fair play to RTE for making some effort at least.

Careful now!

Lets not go down that road again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭lottodrink

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Careful now!

Lets not go down that road again.

Well I like watching Supernatural thats about it tho... RTE is just as bad! Hate listening to John Giles and Co. trying to pretend their not pissed drunk n know what their talking about lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Elmo wrote: »
    If RTE is to improve TV3 need to start improving. RTE still have a monopoly, but that is only because TV3 are unwilling to compeat with them.

TV3 earn alot of money and while there is nothing wrong with that they still need to provide something more, they are just ITV the show shows that anyone could show, there is really nothing different about them.

That is the fundamental problem with TV3.

I've often thought that, then thought maybe they're catering for the people that only have the Irish channels and therefore don't get to see any of the ITV programmes the rest of us get to.

• Advertisement

I've often thought that, then thought maybe they're catering for the people that only have the Irish channels and therefore don't get to see any of the ITV programmes the rest of us get to.

Yeah that would be the case only that everyone in Ireland can now get ITV free to air by buying a satellite or subscribing to sky or cable.

RTE provided them for years before TV3 got their hands on them, its not like we didn't have TV stations doing that already.

TV3 have already stated that if more regulations where put on them they would have no problem broadcasting from the UK on cable and sat in Ireland. They wouldn't lose that many viewers. Only about 200,000 people are without the Northern Ireland terrestrials.

Also their is no problem with them showing cheap imports but they should provide some more Prime Time TV with out government assistance.

Remember there are just as many people without the BBC and C4 that they don't cater for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

What I find amusing is that TV3 laid off a bunch of staff a couple of months ago, so you might say that they got rid of people who didnt do much for their money.

Then they get two half a heads to present daytime tv.

If I was ever in that studio I'd find out where all the fire exits are because there is so much smoke being blown up peoples arses, that would be a smart move.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Okay, I can do this.

So, how has it lasted so long? People are obviously watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So, how has it lasted so long? People are obviously watching it.

Coronation Street and Emmerdale. Those two alone rake in the punters. All the exact same reality crap that's on ITV, X-factor, Celebrity, etc. also bring them in, in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

all irish tv is total balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The best thing on TV3?

The 10 second ident where the girl is blowing out candles on a cake.
    I see that and I think "Aaaah, good old TV3".

Then flick over to Sky, Dave, Bravo, Sky News, RTE1, RTE2 or TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I hate them for the constant stream of "reality"/celebrity bolloxology and Xpose. X-factor all night Saturday? I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I know they arent government funded but do they have to interrupt the movies every ten minutes with an ad break? :(

Galvasean wrote: »
    I know they arent government funded but do they have to interrupt the movies every ten minutes with an ad break? :(

I think the may have done this at the very beginning but their are rules which work out like so: -

No Broadcaster can take any more then 1 add break in a 45min movie, if a movie goes 10 mins over 45 they may take another add break. If their is a movie 90mins long they may only take 3 add breaks, if it run over by 10 minutes they have the option to interrupt the movie one more time in the second 45 mins. And so on.

So I was sure that TV3, RTE, Sky etc don't follow this rule. I have since test TV3 and they took 4 add breaks in the Panic Room last night.

21:00 Movie
    21:35 Ad break
    21:41 Movie
    22:00 Ad break
    22:06 Movie
    22:22 Ad break
    22:28 Movie
    22:51 Add break
    22:56 Movie
    23:05 end

Running time 112.

jor el wrote: »
    Coronation Street and Emmerdale. Those two alone rake in the punters. All the exact same reality crap that's on ITV, X-factor, Celebrity, etc. also bring them in, in droves.
    It is basically chavtastic tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Nigerian Movies is the worst channel out there. It makes TV3 seem acceptable.
    To talk about TV3 for a second, it's a national embarrassment. Their schedules are virtually devoid of home produced programming, save for Vincent Browne and its news/sport output. When it does make the effort we get the likes of that bumbling chimp Ursula Halligan attempting to discuss politics. Her guests are embarrassed for her, I cringe alarmingly.
    As has been said it's just a carbon copy of the equally rubbish ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I mean come on, with it's tabloid nonsense, it's semi-literate news readers and it's constant feed of reality type muck.

I think it is the worst possible channel out there.

you're just jealous you didn't get a job there Tom:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

TV3 is ITV Ireland. Yea, it's pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

What content does TV3 offer a viewer that already has ITV/C4/E4?
    How much of that content is worthwhile or is it a case of shabby programs
    thrown together in order to just about cover their minimum obligations to
    keep their license?

It's not only the fact that it offers the same programs as ITV but it's like a mirror of ITV with the same programs on at the same time. Even ITV+1 would
    offer something different and be a vast improvement over TV3.

I don't watch ITV nor TV3, their programming does not match my interests
    but I'm surprised how people see TV3 as an 'extra' television channel.
    I find it as intriguing as why someone who watches Eastenders would do so
    on RTE rather than BBC, do people like having adverts interrupt the program?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think the may have done this at the very beginning but their are rules which work out like so: -

No Broadcaster can take any more then 1 add break in a 45min movie, if a movie goes 10 mins over 45 they may take another add break. If their is a movie 90mins long they may only take 3 add breaks, if it run over by 10 minutes they have the option to interrupt the movie one more time in the second 45 mins. And so on.

Interesting. On a side note: Any idea what the rules for breaking mid-movie for the news are?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

TV3 is a joy, compared to RTE1.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

I mean come on, with it's tabloid nonsense, it's semi-literate news readers and it's constant feed of reality type muck.

Ouch. Semi-literate? Pot. Kettle. Black. I can recommend Eats, Shoots & Leaves - A Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss. Might even find a copy of it in the TV3 reference library amongst the bound volumes of Hello, V.I.P. and Heat magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Not a massive Tv3 fan myself but i have to say i found their first foray in Gaa coverage this year quite enjoyable. The panelists they picked were excellent and it was good to see them trying something different. The preview show on Thursday nights was decent viewing too.

Also i find the whole 'Tv3 is just Itv' argument a bit passe.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

So I was sure that TV3, RTE, Sky etc don't follow this rule. I have since test TV3 and they took 4 add breaks in the Panic Room last night.

21:00 Movie
    21:35 Ad break
    21:41 Movie
    22:00 Ad break
    22:06 Movie
    22:22 Ad break
    22:28 Movie
    22:51 Add break
    22:56 Movie
    23:05 end

Running time 112.

That's actually only 102 minutes of film and 23 minutes of ads. 6 minute long ad-breaks? Ffs, how do they honestly expect people to stay watching when almost 20% of the duration of a film is ads. Absolute joke of a station.

In the USA you get 18 mins of advertising per hour. Be thankfull you are not watching in the states without TIVO. :)

I've been subjected to tv in the States and Canada, I don't know how they put up with it. Straight into ads before the opening credits in many cases, and no ident to warn you, just a straight cut from the programme to the ad. That would wreck my head if I had to endure it all the time.

Zaph wrote: »
    I've been subjected to tv in the States and Canada, I don't know how they put up with it. Straight into ads before the opening credits in many cases, and no ident to warn you, just a straight cut from the programme to the ad. That would wreck my head if I had to endure it all the time.
    Is it any wonder that TIVO does very well there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Zaph wrote: »
    That's actually only 102 minutes of film and 23 minutes of ads. 6 minute long ad-breaks? Ffs, how do they honestly expect people to stay watching when almost 20% of the duration of a film is ads. Absolute joke of a station.

And how did TV3 purchase that film??

Through commercial revenue.

And if they were only allowed 1 min ad space - then you'd be complaining about the lack of decent films on TV3.

So really, what would people like on TV3 then?

They've made some good progress over the past few months: The Apprentice, Dirty Money, Me And The Big C, Raising Children, Diary Of A ..., GAA coverage, Rugby World Cup coverage, up-coming drama School Run, a good few home-produced documentaries over Christmas etc . . .

And the whole ITV thing - well that's what's bringing in the big ratings for TV3 - Corrie averages 550,000 a week, I'm A Celeb got 300,000, X Factor got the same. So what's the problem with showing these? Yes it might be a lack of imagination - but it's what the viewer wants and it's good for income. The ratings prove that.
    RTE screen Eastenders at the same time as BBC1 yet no-one says anything about that.

iseegirls wrote: »
    They've made some good progress over the past few months: The Apprentice, Dirty Money, Me And The Big C, Raising Children, Diary Of A ..., GAA coverage, Rugby World Cup coverage, up-coming drama School Run, a good few home-produced documentaries over Christmas etc . . .

Bar the Apprentice and Xpose all of TV3's Prime Time home produced programming has been supported by the licence fee.

Their GAA coverage and Rugby is welcome after 10 years of ignoring both.
    And the whole ITV thing - well that's what's bringing in the big ratings for TV3 - Corrie averages 550,000 a week, I'm A Celeb got 300,000, X Factor got the same. So what's the problem with showing these? Yes it might be a lack of imagination - but it's what the viewer wants and it's good for income. The ratings prove that.
    RTE screen Eastenders at the same time as BBC1 yet no-one says anything about that

I think it is terrible that RTE bought EastEnders TBH. They should have invested into Irish Drama when the lost Coronation Street. EastEnders wasn't even getting the kind of viewers over on TV3 when the bought the show.

It is the fact that TV3 only show a simulcast of ITV programming. And generally it isn't even the good ITV shows (I know there are few currently). But Mr. & Mrs., Family Fortunes etc

They should do something more creative. It isn't like they don't have the revenue.

TV3 are allowed show advertising for 12 mins every hour, I have no problem with this.

In relation to the News interupting the Thursday night movie on RTE TWO and often on ITV, I can't see any rule about this, unfortunately. The idea of the "45 min rule" is to prevent the break up of Film as they should often be view without interuption, the news goes againist this view IMO.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    And how did TV3 purchase that film??

Through commercial revenue.

And if they were only allowed 1 min ad space - then you'd be complaining about the lack of decent films on TV3.

I fully appreciate the need for ads. What I don't appreciate is watching a film and having it interrupted every 20 minutes or less for a 6 minute long ad break. There has to be some sort of balance between generating revenue and not pissing off your viewers, and ad breaks that long aren't the way to do it imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement