Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TV3 the worst channel possible?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    What is Buzz TV anyway?? Like where's its market? Who's it aiming for?
    I honestly have no idea what its about.

It is an Irish Television station, their licence to broadcast is issued by Britain's OfCom.

Lonely people! I don't know.

It should not be given 131 on the UPC EPG, I wonder if other will get such a good slot, it took them a year to put Bubble Hits on the Air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

icdg wrote: »
    TV3 is pretty bad at times - apart from its half-decent news service (and the half that is decent is Nightly News with Vincent Browne), and some sports coverage, it contains nothing really that is not available anywhere else. The fact that the BCI have let them get away with using a 1/2 hour Entertainment Tonight clone (and is there really that much celeberties in Ireland to fill it?) as part of their news budget as appaling.

But to answer the OPs question, TV3 is nowhere near the worst channel possible. In fact, on UPC digital alone, its not even the tenth worst channel. Buzz TV is probably the worst, though I'd throw in dishonourable mentions for QVC, City Channel, DCTV, Discovery Home and Health, Fashion Television, and of course the one and only E!

There's some people who don't have digital. I've only got the basic 17channel "cablelink" package as I call it.

I'd say that out of these :
    • RTE 1
    • RTE 2
    • UTV
    • CH 4
    • BBC 1
    • BBC 2
    • Ch 6
    • TV 3
    • Sky 1
    • Sky News
    • MTV
    • Living
    • TG 4
    • E 4
    • Setanta Ireland
    • Discovery

TV 3 is indeed the most abysmal. It's a general channel, not a specific channel like MTV, E4 or Disc or Setanta. Tv3's programming isn't balanced. It veers towards shite all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quality show on tonight - Crazy Christmas Lights, its about er, you can guess :p

that was on last night :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

dammit!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

hurray!

I watched it last night. It's about these crazy Americans like Chevy Chase in National Lampoons Xmas that spend insane amounts of money and time doing up their house with lights and a sets . Some of them clearly have something wrong with them!

Jebus TV3 really are cheap ******s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BAZM8

Some good shows on it but TV3 is a bugger if you're using sky +.

They show 30 Rock in the middle of the night (which was shi*e in the first place for such a class show) and most times it wouldn't start until 10 minutes after the scheduled time. Therefore you would miss the last 10 minutes (in a 30 minute show that's pretty poor) or else it would be early and you'd miss the start.

I ended up taping the programmes before and after to make sure i got it all. and now channel 6 has the virius I missed the last 10 mins of "Heroes" last night.

• Advertisement

Sportsxchange is dead so that one to cross off the list.

BAZM8 wrote: »
    Some good shows on it but TV3 is a bugger if you're using sky +.

They show 30 Rock in the middle of the night (which was shi*e in the first place for such a class show) and most times it wouldn't start until 10 minutes after the scheduled time. Therefore you would miss the last 10 minutes (in a 30 minute show that's pretty poor) or else it would be early and you'd miss the start.

I ended up taping the programmes before and after to make sure i got it all. and now channel 6 has the virius I missed the last 10 mins of "Heroes" last night.

What's "30 Rock" ?
    And if it started 10mins late, how would you miss the last 10mins ?

What's "30 Rock" ?
    And if it started 10mins late, how would you miss the last 10mins ?

I hear it is a very funny comedy with Tina Fey on NBC.

If you didn't set the Rec for an extra 10 mins, which anybody who rec stuff from RTE knows is stupid.

The rule is and remember this, 10 mins before and after the Guide just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

the recording timer is only set to the length of the prog so if it is due to start at 10, it begins recording at 10 and finishes at 10.30, but if it starts late , like 10.10 its still recording from 10 and finishes at 10.30.
    I have the same problem myself with the upc one.Missed the very end a few times just as some one was about to be fired.They are always late.Happened with a few movies too.I know I could set it to record over time but sometimes a programme on another channel that starts immediately afterwards is programmed to record too.
    Other than that though, I do like tv3, for all its crumminess and tackiness.Ireland am and the tv3 news always crack me up.I ****ing hate that xpose ****e though, its always just a bunch of promotions for their buddies crap overly expensive shops or beauty salons.How that passes as entertainment news is beyond me.
    And I despise that ventriloquist dummy that goes by the name Ursula Hannigan, how she ever got on tv in the 1st place is beyond me, let alone became a political correspondent.Surely shes more suited for scaring children under a bridge or leading a campaign for stuttering ****ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

http://www.iftn.ie/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4281776&tpl=archnews

TV3 Ends Year on a Ratings High

18 Dec 2008 |

Increased Irish programming content on TV3 has pulled in viewers with shows such as ‘TV3 News at 5.30’ and ‘Xposé’, ‘Ripping off the Rich’ and ‘20 Moments that Rocked Ireland’ all receiving their record audiences figures earlier in the week

On Monday 15th December ‘TV3 News at 5.30’ had its biggest audience since January with an average of 246,000; ‘Xposé’ had one of its biggest nights ever with 125,000 viewers and a string of Irish programmes ‘Raising Children’, ‘20 Moments that Rocked Ireland’ and ‘Ripping off the Rich’ boosted Monday nights viewing. The stand out performer on the night was ‘20 Moments that Rocked Ireland’ which attracted an average audience of 269,000 viewers.
    On Saturday 13th December, TV3 was the most watched station in Ireland with thousands of viewers tuning in to watch the final of ‘The X Factor’. This major event was watched by 523,000 viewers with over 40% of adults 15-34 tuning in. The ‘X Factor Results’ programme delivered an even more impressive 582,000 viewers, the highest ever audience for ‘The X Factor’, making it one of the top rated shows on Irish television last week.
    This was followed on Sunday night with the award-winning film, ‘The Wind that Shakes the Barley’ (which was funded by seed capital from TV3), generating TV3’s highest movie audience of the year with 282,000 viewers tuning in.
    All of this follows on from other major Irish programming successes from TV3 this year to date including ‘The Apprentice’ with Bill Cullen, ‘Dirty Money’ with Paul Williams, ‘Nightly News with Vincent Browne’ and TV3’s live and exclusive coverage of Gaelic Games over the summer, all proving to be major ratings successes.
    Pat Kiely, TV3’s Commercial Director commented: “To perform as strongly as we have in recent weeks is fantastic, particularly considering how competitive television schedules are at this time of year. I am delighted also that this exceptional audience performance has largely come from original Irish commissions and event programming which have really boosted TV3’s unique viewership. This has not only extended our lead as Ireland’s second most watched channel but firmly positions TV3 as the channel of choice for 15 to 44 year olds.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dodge wrote: »
    Sportsxchange has shown live football a few times in the last month. far from the worst...

Gone now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Could Tv3 please try and get the rights to air the new season of 24. One of the greatest shows and what do the idiots over at RTE do...they only go and air it at midnight on a Monday for the last 2 seasons. It would be a huge land for Tv3 and they would have the brains to give it a primetime slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

they are going to be showing dexter :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

bizmark wrote: »
    they are going to be showing dexter :eek:

Yep, love that show! I'll probably end up watching it again even though I've already seen it!
    I definety recommend people to watch it!
    Worth a mention aswell that "House" is starting also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

I dont see anything wrong with TV3 tbh. They are a hell of a lot better than RTE who are all saggy, middle aged up their own arses, twats!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of TV3 (a lot of their presenters just seem low rent or something) but they do a far better job of showing TV series than RTÉ.

Following series on RTÉ can be a job in itself sometimes - you can never be certain from week to week what time it'll be on. Or even if it will be on. They've also got horrible habit of showing decent programs too late at night.

Typical example: Not too long ago they started showing Mad Men, an American TV series that got great reviews and has won Emmys. Instead of showing it at a decent hour where people could watch it, they aired at 11:30 on a Monday night :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would agree with you with regards to RTÉ.

They put anything decent on in the middle of the night. As said it can be pain to follow a series. To make matters worse they do not advertise any of the late night line up so you may end of missing subsequent seasons of a show you have been following. Sky + does help to a degree but when a season ends you are in the lap of the gods if you ever find the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Did anyone catch Colette Fitzpatrick on a review of the year show? Phwoar!

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I would agree with you with regards to RTÉ.

They put anything decent on in the middle of the night. As said it can be pain to follow a series. To make matters worse they do not advertise any of the late night line up so you may end of missing subsequent seasons of a show you have been following. Sky + does help to a degree but when a season ends you are in the lap of the gods if you ever find the next season.

According to RTÉ they would still get more viewers the either TV3 or C6 for a late night showing of 24, if TV3 and C6 where to put it on during prime time.

Also Sky have 24 tied up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

But RTE has always aired 24, even when Sky aired it. Infact during season 3 they were airing it 2 days before Sky. Then for no reason they were months behind Sky with season 4 and then just put season 5 and 6 on at midnight on Mondays. There hasn't even been any mention of them airing 24:Redemption yet!

TV3 deserves the rights to 24!

danh789 wrote: »
    But RTE has always aired 24, even when Sky aired it. Infact during season 3 they were airing it 2 days before Sky. Then for no reason they were months behind Sky with season 4 and then just put season 5 and 6 on at midnight on Mondays. There hasn't even been any mention of them airing 24:Redemption yet!

TV3 deserves the rights to 24!

RTÉ don't get the rights to broadcast 24 until March, I beleive this is the reason why Sky are so far ahead. It happened with the BBC after season 2 Sky got the rights for Day3 to Day7, RTE where behind by a few weeks with sky and then both RTE and Sky had rights to show them at the same time. RTE only ever had 24 before BBC.

I person do not beleive that TV3 deserve to broadcast FTA.

There are other shows I will agree with you on, TV3 or even TG4 would give them better times.

Trust me I have had the 24 issue out with RTÉ. TV3s imports have never been as good as RTÉ and it is not because RTÉ spend a fortune on Imported shows but because TV3 go with the cheapest shows posible. RTÉ said that they wheren't interested in Heroes, I am sure they have their reasons for not picking it up. Why didn't TV3 buy Heroes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I am always amused by some of our own Irish Newspaper TV Guides who print the TV3 schedule as if it is the master channel with UTV & HTV as add ons ........

In relation to many UTV & HTV programmes some Irish TV schedules now print "See TV3 for details" :D

Surely TV3 gets its feeds off ITV ..........

Camelot wrote: »
    I am always amused by some of our own Irish Newspaper TV Guides who print the TV3 schedule as if it is the master channel with UTV & HTV as add ons ........

In relation to many UTV & HTV programmes some Irish TV schedules now print "See TV3 for details" :D

Surely TV3 gets its feeds off ITV ..........

1. Are they still calling ITV1 Wales HTV?
    2. Really it should read, TV3: Please see UTV for Details, and UTV: Please see ITV1 for details :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yes indeed Elmo, thats exactly what I mean & surely the TV guides should read "see UTV" for details.

HTV might well have changed its name to ITV1, but UTV remains, although it too is part of the ITV1 network, which TV3 gets a feed off ..............

• Advertisement

Camelot wrote: »
    Yes indeed Elmo, thats exactly what I mean & surely the TV guides should read "see UTV" for details.

HTV might well have changed its name to ITV1, but UTV remains, although it too is part of the ITV1 network, which TV3 gets a feed off ..............

UTV hold the licence for Channel 3 in Northern Ireland hence they have the Northern Irish franchise for ITV, STV have the scottsh franchise. ITV don't own either STV or UTV. However ITV 1 Wales is fully owned by ITV.

UTV plc own several radio station in both the republic and the north. And had an interest in C4 Radio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement