Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilise yourself to save the planet

Options
  • 11-12-2008 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-495495/Meet-women-wont-babies--theyre-eco-friendly.html
    Had Toni Vernelli gone ahead with her pregnancy ten years ago, she would know at first hand what it is like to cradle her own baby, to have a pair of innocent eyes gazing up at her with unconditional love, to feel a little hand slipping into hers - and a voice calling her Mummy.

But the very thought makes her shudder with horror.

Because when Toni terminated her pregnancy, she did so in the firm belief she was helping to save the planet.

Incredibly, so determined was she that the terrible "mistake" of pregnancy should never happen again, that she begged the doctor who performed the abortion to sterilise her at the same time

Mark adds: "Sarah and I live as green a life a possible. We don't have a car, cycle everywhere instead, and we never fly.

"We recycle, use low-energy light bulbs and eat only organic, locally produced food.

"In short, we do everything we can to reduce our carbon footprint. But all this would be undone if we had a child.

"That's why I had a vasectomy. It would be morally wrong for me to add to climate change and the destruction of Earth.

"Sarah and I don't need children to feel complete. What makes us happy is knowing that we are doing our bit to save our precious planet."

Oh no, it's not a wind-up. They are serious.

I've seen similar comments posted in The Ladies Lounge, with one or two women asking why they would bring children into an over crowded world, and I was tempted to call Shenanigans, but I didn't.

This doesn't really make any sense. Ireland can support millions more people and so can most of Europe, it's Africa and Asia that are overcrowded. And, they could always raise their children to be carbon-neutral if they wished (not that its necessarily a bad thing if these nuts die out). All the examples given are people with decent incomes, who would be able to afford a carbon-neutral child.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm so glad you posted the whole article and didnt just do the opening few lines and a link. I love scrolling by a load of crap everytime so I can read peoples replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

But wait, there's more!

http://www.vhemt.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I think it's a valid point. "You're using up my air you little sh!t" or Bill Hicks' line on how we may need to sort out our food:air ratio.

I for one welcome our population control ovaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galvasean wrote: »
    But wait, there's more!

http://www.vhemt.org/
    I heard they started this in some schools in US and Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

In this train of thought do we need a large war to relieve the stress on the planet??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

meh... If they're stupid enough to think that they're saving the planet by doing that then they don't deserve to breed imo. Let them on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hypothetical unborn child gives thanks for lucky escape from pious, right-on, household.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sabotage wrote: »
    I'm so glad you posted the whole article and didnt just do the opening few lines and a link. I love scrolling by a load of crap everytime so I can read peoples replies.
    I've edited the post, because you right, the article was a bit long.
    I just normally prefer to post the article, since some people don't like clicking links.

Q2002 wrote: »
    In this train of thought do we need a large war to relieve the stress on the planet??

Yes, because a large war will decrease pollution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Stupid bourgoisie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

stovelid wrote: »
    Hypothetical unborn child gives thanks for lucky escape from pious, right-on, household.

You should be writing headlines for The Onion. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/11_03/sarahmarkDM2111_468x449.jpg

Heh, look at him and say the line "I am Ron Burgundy?". Oh, it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I don't think they are entirely wrong - there are WAY too many people on the planet - a few sterilisations, or people just IGNORING that drive to reproduce like bleedin wild animals pointlessly futhering their genetic material until the planet is TOTALLY fooked.. hopefully I have managed to sterilise myself from all the years of drug and alcohol abuse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Oh no, it's not a wind-up. They are serious.

I've seen similar comments posted in The Ladies Lounge, with one or two women asking why they would bring children into an over crowded world, and I was tempted to call Shenanigans, but I didn't.

This doesn't really make any sense. Ireland can support millions more people and so can most of Europe, it's Africa and Asia that are overcrowded. And, they could always raise their children to be carbon-neutral if they wished (not that its necessarily a bad thing if these nuts die out). All the examples given are people with decent incomes, who would be able to afford a carbon-neutral child.

Why are they nuts? They don't want to have children. They look around and see others with children and shudder. Loads of people just want children "to have someone to look after them when they get old", is that any better?

Such movements achieve nothing. Those concerned with the well being of the planet reproduce sparingly while the wasters use the extra space created to reproduce exponentially, thereby taking over the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

So who are they saving the planet for?

Recon wrote: »
    Why are they nuts? They don't want to have children. They look around and see others with children and shudder. Loads of people just want children "to have someone to look after them when they get old", is that any better?

Lots of couples elect to be childless (for want of a better word) without being sanctimonious enough to think that their supreme sacrifice is going to save the world.

Whole thing smacks of over-validation of their lifestyle choices. Who gives a fcuk if they don't want kids?

Doc wrote: »
    So who are they saving the planet for?

The squid shall inherit the Earth I'm told.

javaboy wrote: »
    You should be writing headlines for The Onion. :D

Flattery will get yo....

/vote cast

oztots wrote: »
    By all means, sterilise yourself, i'll provide a used razor blade if it helps.

Im all for sterilising retards and less useful people in our society. But as mentioned its not us that cant feed ourselves. Its down in africa where they have 10 children but food for 1, then they start a war with the country next door to make sure they're screwed. Maybe sterilise them.

Yeah because it's STUPID to not want to continue with the overpopulation of the planet. Yeah me, a house owner, paying taxes with a full time job - contributing to society, OMG WHAT KIND OF RETARD I MUST BE TO NOT WANT DEPENDANTS/DECENDANTS. And regardless of how many poor people (who don't know any better) in the third world have way too many children - doesn't mean that all of us in the first world (and plenty of people in the first world do the same as their third world counterparts - although the tendancy is for it to be from the poorer people) - the planet is still overpopulated & people in the first world still pollute heavily. Who are they saving the world for? well FUTURE PEOPLE - just not their own genetic line. Just because a bunch of people try to stem the flood of babies, doesn't mean anybody else will, so sure, ultimately it's a few drops in the oceean - but it has to start somewhere. There will always be people barring some massive catastrophy, and if people in the first and third world don't slow down with child production, (i.e. the more people having children, then those more children have children etc etc) growth will continue at an unsustainable rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Paragraphs and quotes are your friends. They keep you warm at night.

Paragraphs and quotes are your friends. They keep you warm at night.

Yeah, sorry about the horrible formatting, but my work access barely gets me on boads, any formatting I do doesn't come through, it only works if I manually type in the &bsp type stuff, which is a super pain the the a$$ :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

Mark adds: "Sarah and I live as green a life a possible. We don't have a car, cycle everywhere instead, and we never fly.

"We recycle, use low-energy light bulbs and eat only organic, locally produced food.

"In short, we do everything we can to reduce our carbon footprint. But all this would be undone if we had a child.

"That's why I had a vasectomy. It would be morally wrong for me to add to climate change and the destruction of Earth.

"Sarah and I don't need children to feel complete. What makes us happy is knowing that we are doing our bit to save our precious planet."

Narrow escape for their potential kids, imagine the joy of being raised by those two seaweed huggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's not that there are too many people on the planet but that there is an imbalance. E.g. we don't have as many people here as pre-famine days but china is over flowing.

We need to import a few million Chinese to balance things out. correction - let's import more hot Polish Chicks instead.

They do sound like a pair of twats, but I still agree with no childrens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

There's an over population of stupid people in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Had Toni Vernelli gone ahead with her pregnancy ten years ago, she would know at first hand what it is like to cradle her own baby, to have a pair of innocent eyes gazing up at her with unconditional love, to feel a little hand slipping into hers - and a voice calling her Mummy.

*vomit*
    I'm glad there are people like this. I hate children - the less there are, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Galvasean wrote: »
    The squid shall inherit the Earth I'm told.

I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Population shrinkage in the future is going to be a far bigger problem than any crisis we have been through so far, with the ratio of retiree's to workers dropping, there will not be enough people working to keep the older generation kept (via health care, accommodation, pensions).

This is already happening in Japan, and across most of the western countries.

Anyway, these people qualify themselves for a darwin award (www.officialdarwinawards.com), lets hope they take as many stupid people whose genes deserve to be erased from the planet as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

New catalytic converter

Advertisement