Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's Biggest Indoor Venue ?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Some junk mail came today promoting 'the royal' in Castlebar which is a fairly large venue.

So what would be Galway's largest INDOOR venue ?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd imagine Leisureland and the Black Box are pretty close in size.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The Radisson Function room has been used for gigs, when all the dividers are gone it's massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Cathedral? It's a different shape the Raddison, but has a LOT of space.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Damn, this is like concert venue top trumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Big top
    Black box
    Empty out the pool in Salthill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Big Top during the Arts festival. Think it fit 4,000 people.
    Leisureland - 1200 IIRC.
    Anyone know capacity of the Black Box? Was at a gig there last week but didn't look around to see how many there were. It was all seated though, would imagine you could squeeze a big crowd in for a standing+seated gig

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Black Box is 900-1000 standing, 600 seated...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

I read that Morrissy is booked to play in Leisureland next April 29th. Is this a one off, or will we see regular gigs there. Lots of bands played there, back in the day !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

Why can't Galway have a scaled down version of Dublin's O2 ??

Not feasible ? If it were why hasn't it being done yet ?

Any chance of it happening in recent times are over Im guessing giving this recession.

Wasn't there talk of one at Fisheries field ?, owned by the council or something to that effect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wasn't there talk of one at Fisheries field ?, owned by the council or something to that effect ?

Yes. But I'm sure I read somewhere that it didn't get funding approved from some bit of central government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I read that Morrissy is booked to play in Leisureland next April 29th. Is this a one off, or will we see regular gigs there. Lots of bands played there, back in the day !!

In the paper today that the Smiths are getting back together (Morrissey and Marr have settled their differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

JustMary wrote: »
    The Cathedral? It's a different shape the Raddison, but has a LOT of space.

That would be a savage place for a concert!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Why can't Galway have a scaled down version of Dublin's O2 ??

Yes, but with an estimated price tag of over 50 million to seat 2,500 people, it was never going to happen. I have seen 4 / 5,000 seater venues in many places built for a fraction of that cost.

Advertisement