Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health service = joke !!

Options
  • 11-12-2008 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I rang for an appointment there 2 weeks ago n was told we have none available call back on 5th january and we can see then !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Is it urgent? Did you tell them if it was? A friend of mine walked in, said the problem was urgent (which it was), spoke with a nurse, and was seen straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Turning up very early in the morning also helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Does anyone know if there are similar delays for student counselling??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 oxoxnicolaoxox

nope not urgent not sick or anything simply need them to fill out a repeat prescription so therefore cant see the nurse becuase im not sick enough likewise with the early because they say they are booked up ... I've used them for the past 4 yrs witout real problems other than not being seen for an hour after my appointed time..............

from overhearing conversations i think there could be a small wait alright ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

I had to wait 6 weeks for an appointment last semester. just for a prescription, which usually takes less than 5 minutes.
    anyway, I couldnt wait 6 weeks so I just paid for a gp visit. It was only 25euro.
    Its a pain though.

dosed wrote: »
    I had to wait 6 weeks for an appointment last semester. just for a prescription, which usually takes less than 5 minutes.
    anyway, I couldnt wait 6 weeks so I just paid for a gp visit. It was only 25euro.
    Its a pain though.
    did you go to a diff doctor in dublin ??? I need to find one I can't wait until 5th jan either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Pharmacies will most of the time allow you a month or two repeat if it's an emergency and you have exhausted that avenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Well you get what you pay for.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Yes, it's truly disgraceful that a free service for 16,000+ students would have a long waiting list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Well you get what you pay for.:rolleyes:
    Zounds wrote: »
    Yes, it's truly disgraceful that a free service for 16,000+ students would have a long waiting list.

Waits for onslaught....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Well last year I booked an appointment with the counsellor on the 20th of October and didn't get to see anyone until the end of January!
    It's ridiculous, a student population of 20,000 and something like 3 full-time counsellors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Well last year I booked an appointment with the counsellor on the 20th of October and didn't get to see anyone until the end of January!
    It's ridiculous, a student population of 20,000 and something like 3 full-time counsellors?

So you're saying they should add charges to the health services in order to make them more efficient? Every student should pay 50 euro per visit, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

[nitpicking]As I understand it it's a student population of ~16,000 and a population of ~22,000, no?[/nitpicking]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

It's a population of 16,000 undergrads and 6,000 post-grads afaik

actually i wouldnt mind paying like 25 euro (subsidised amount) for a visit but point is a) they wouldnt even let me on that waiting list b) if they have student counselling I dont think an october to january wait is acceptable since if ur depressed its gonna get worse around exams periods and that 3 month wait could be too long for someone who is in need C) Medical card holders get free GP visits does that mean that every medical card taking GP has a waiting list of 6-8 weeks......... I don't think so

betafrog wrote: »
    Wow, you've used them for 4 years without a problem but as soon as your told, at the busiest time of the year, that there is a waiting list the health service is a joke... hmmm...

If your prescription is that important to you, you should have booked your appointment in advance. You can't ring up and expect the doctor to make time for your prescription when they also have to make time for those that need to see a doctor for medical reasons or have an emergency.

In short, book in advance next time.

/rant
    Actually I tried to book 2 weeks ago(November) for an appointment in the end of december I do actually know the way the health service has a waiting list for there to be a 6 week waiting list before i can even book is a jerk.... read properly next time........ also I didnt say without problem as mentioned when i do book i wait at least an hour before being seen ... so dont go telling me that i should book in advance when i tried to book a month in advance :rolleyes: or do you believe I should book 2 months in advance:rolleyes:

So you're saying they should add charges to the health services in order to make them more efficient? Every student should pay 50 euro per visit, right?
    Hmm, and how come universities such as Trinity or UCC have twice as many counsellors for a smaller student population? It's so hypocritical of a university that goes out of it's way to promote the 'Please Talk' campaign and when its students NEED to talk, there's nobody to talk to.
    And there's also alot of this 'you get what you pay for' crap; well I pay €6,500 per year to attend a college where NOTHING is efficient, not even the whole 'getting an education' part of it!
    End rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Hmm, and how come universities such as Trinity or UCC have twice as many counsellors for a smaller student population? It's so hypocritical of a university that goes out of it's way to promote the 'Please Talk' campaign and when its students NEED to talk, there's nobody to talk to.
    And there's also alot of this 'you get what you pay for' crap; well I pay €6,500 per year to attend a college where NOTHING is efficient, not even the whole 'getting an education' part of it!
    End rant.

The counsellors are doing a lot with a little, the whole please talk thing was created and driven by them, not UCD... although the college was graciously pleased to be affiliated when it went national.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Hmm, and how come universities such as Trinity or UCC have twice as many counsellors for a smaller student population

As far as I know the reason is ours are more qualified. All of the counsellors are clinical psychologists, whereas some of the other universities would have more counsellors but they wouldn't be as qualified. Also we have more than three, an additional two were hired at the start of the year, and though it may be longer now as recently as a month ago the waiting list for the counseling services was 2-3 days or thereabouts.

In relation to the GPs all funding come from our reg fee, not the HSE or anywhere so the money will only go so far (and the increase next year is going to the Government so it won't help). To reduce the waiting list we need to lobby to allow medical card holders to register with 2 GPs while in college. Then students with medical cards could register with the UCD health service like they would do with their GP at home. The health centre would then get around €30/40 everytime a medical card holder saw a GP there and could use the money to hire more. USI are mandated to do this (I proposed a motion at their congress last year) but I haven't heard any update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

End rant.

You paid 6500 for an education I'm pretty sure, not a health centre.

What's the point in having a health service on campus then?

Advertisement