Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What position would you play?

• 11-12-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

If, hypothetically, you were to be a professional footballer, what position would you fancy yourself in?

What would appeal to you about that particular position?

What position would you play? 79 votes

Goalkeeper
    0% 0 votes
    Right Back
    13% 11 votes
    Left Back
    7% 6 votes
    Centre Half
    7% 6 votes
    Holding Midfielder
    11% 9 votes
    Box-To-Box Midfielder
    12% 10 votes
    Right Winger
    8% 7 votes
    Left Winger
    5% 4 votes
    Attacking Midfielder
    5% 4 votes
    Supporting Striker
    20% 16 votes
    Striker
    7% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    If, hypothetically, you were to be a professional footballer, what position would you fancy yourself in?

What would appeal to you about that particular position?

I assume I'd play where I played for my club.
    Either up front or in the hole.
    Prefer the second as it means I can wander a bit and I tend to like getting the ball out on the left and coming inside.
    Also playing there gives you more opportunities to tackle, I love tackling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I wouldn't fancy myself in any position,i've 2 left feet:P
    Attacking midfielder if they were badly stuck..
    Would love to be able to play football like Zidane!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Played centre back as a schoolboy. Tony Adams and Paul McGrath were my two favourite players.

Both alcoholics too.. Hmmm... :/

edit: of course I never quite.. grew since then so I'd be pretty useless at defending corners. Maybe I'd work better as a supporting striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

played in midfielder or striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Personally I'd love to have the engine to be a box-to-box midfielder. Seeing as I don't I'd have to settle for the holding role. I love picking the ball up off the centre halves and having two thirds of the pitch ahead of me to pick a pass.

I also play centre half which ain't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm slow and left footed so I've always ended up at left back in any team I've played in so I'd imagine if I was a pro it would be no different. God help the fancy-dan right winger who strays too close :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Box to Box Midfielder just like my favourite player of all time, Roy Keane.
    Otherwise Centre half like the legendary Paul McGrath. I'd take better care of myself though. Just think of what he could have achieved if he had stayed off the drink and stayed at Man Utd, would be regarded as one of the best ever IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think I'd like the idea of a position like an old libero, or just an elegant centre-half. Maybe a holding midfielder. Any position where you are the fulcrum of the team, get to see loads of the ball, but don't necessarily catch the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Definitly striker,i was one of the best in school when i was younger,such a shame i never tryed to train football...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'd like to be a Striker, someone who scored tons of goals and got all the glory...

Having only played one eleven a side match ever (poker forum people versus some horribly poor team containing a few boards posters) I'd probably be a centre mid who likes diving into tackles and running around like a headless chicken.

• Advertisement

Seeing as there's so many people who have played football I'd be curious to know what level you all played at if you'd care to divulge such information?
    Have we any superstars in our midst? :pac:

malice_ wrote: »
    I'm slow and left footed so I've always ended up at left back in any team I've played in so I'd imagine if I was a pro it would be no different. God help the fancy-dan right winger who strays too close :).

yeah,i'd like to see someone break his legs too!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have to be right wing as I have no left foot to speak of, but I'd get stuck up front and would be expected to win the ball in the air (6'4") and then get bood for missing heading sitters :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

staker wrote: »
    yeah,i'd like to see someone break his legs too!;)

He can handle it, he's physically and mentally strong, and ya, more than a bit full of it as well. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

id say hardly anyone will choose the goalkeeper

hardest postition on the field imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

in mess games i usually play striker, but in proper matches would be support striker (in the hole). Generally pretty good for getting the ball, taking a touch and finding a through ball to give. Pretty fast for following up on it then.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Seeing as there's so many people who have played football I'd be curious to know what level you all played at if you'd care to divulge such information?

I played for UCD as a banger in the Oscar Traynor Cup against the AUL, LSL, OWL and Wexford League a couple of years back. That's the amateur representative cup at home.

Now I play in the WA State Amateur Premier Division over here. Good standard, a step below semi-pro.

i hate to say it but you're right deise!:D
    played forward for a german team,mostly on the bench though:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I played for UCD as a banger in the Oscar Traynor Cup against the AUL, LSL, OWL and Wexford League a couple of years back. That's the amateur representative cup at home.

Now I play in the WA State Amateur Premier Division over here. Good standard, a step below semi-pro.

Is it this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_West_State_League

Is there really a Shamrock Rovers in the Amateur Premier Division? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Played as a box to box midfielder for Dalkey United in the Leinster Senior League Division 2 last season, we only narrowly missed out on promotion to the top division in the LSL! The team broke up this year because our players were poached by other clubs. Didn't bother looking for a new club.

I love my position and wouldn't want to play in any other one, your involved in all aspects of the game and to me it's the most important position on the pitch.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Is it this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_West_State_League

Is there really a Shamrock Rovers in the Amateur Premier Division? :D

Lol yep that's the league. Beat Shammy's three times last season I think. Love goin down there as it's full of Irish and there's always a few scoops to be had. Me being a Shels fan gives an extra incentive to beat them!

I play for Hamersley Rovers.

I'm suitably impressed. GY must be so proud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd be the John O Shea/Phil Neville style utility man. back when i was a young 'un it wasn't unusual for me to say start as a winger and then end up the holding midfielder. or start as a striker and end up the match in defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

On my debut back in the late 80's/early 90's in an under 9 Wicklow schoolboy league game I came on with about 10 minutes left, I was told to play at center back. Anyway I hit my own post twice and gave away a penalty:eek: Since that game I've been put up top or have been put on the bench. No wonder I gave up playing when I was about 17.

So I voted for a striker position. You should have put the bench as an extra option as it would be great to be sitting there doing sod all and be raking in the money:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

When I was younger and a lot fitter I was a box-to-box midfielder. Injuries and laziness have taken their toll and playing up front in Astro Leagues is all I play now.

Had trials with Brighton as a teenager and was close (if talk is to be believed) to getting a deal with Shelbourne before I fractured my ankle in two places. Played intermediate LSL for the bones of 10 years before a combination of injuries forced me away. Since then I've gotten very lazy as well as very busy with work, and I don't have the time to dedicate for traning etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i enjoy playing left back the most but i'm right footed so it would either be RB or LB! never really played at a decent level just sinday league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

same position as ronaldo..... a RIGHT WHINGER :D

I like to be a player like Evra or Boswinga bombing it down the wing.
    Obviously I am not great but sure you can only dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Back when I played, I was midfield. I liked to consider myself "creative Midfielder". Not very pacy, or strongly built, but with two good feet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

right back so i could be better then gary neville!

that and i liked that position most when i played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Play as a goalkeeper with a few mates. Love the position, that and I never could shoot. The problem is Im a short ass :( Other than that I like playing left back.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

id say hardly anyone will choose the goalkeeper

hardest postition on the field imo
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Play as a goalkeeper with a few mates. Love the position, that and I never could shoot. The problem is Im a short ass :( Other than that I like playing left back.

Goalkeeper FTW

I might actually go along to my team's match this weekend, see if I can get some playing time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Played predominantly as a right back as a school boy (had the nickname of "the cruncher" when I was 10 :) ) but played as a centre back for a week bit as well.

Would see myself as more of a centre back or holding midfielder in recent years though (when I wasn't being a fat bastard that is :) ).

The next post just reminded me that I actually played in goal for my first two matches. Came on as a sub against Dominics in Friary Field in Dundalk and played a stomer - must had saved 10 clear cut chances. Then started my second game against Rangers in the Fairgreen and managed to concede 7 goals :D To this day, I still blame the lads that were behind my goal constantly abusing me thoughout the match (two lads from the neighbouring traveller camp). Anyway, slightly off topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I've played in goal all my life since I was 7 or something, so I'd still play there:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whats the point of a pole in this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Seven goalies, and not one of you gave Boardeaux a shot?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Id be a poaching striker or goalkeeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd be a supporting striker.

I'm pretty good at knock-ons and through balls but I'm not fast or very athletic at all and my finishing is hit and miss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Des wrote: »

One of them is me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I haven't played 11 a side in years but I play 5 aside regularly and that poll surprises me. I've played with a load of different players and the vast majority of them seem to stick to the wing. Few of them fancy picking the ball of from midfield and dictating things. So I'm surprised at the amount of midfielders over wingers there.

Anyway, I'd be a left winger. It's about all I can do is beat players with my pace and strength. :)

• Advertisement

Centre half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

At my school I was known as the best defender in the class. OK I was 8 at the time and everyone else seemed to enjoy scoring but I felt there was joy to be had in a good timed slide tackle which I had a surprising knack for.

I remember being signed for Rivermount as a kid and looking forward to my career as the next Steve Bruce, but I just found it too difficult to miss my Saturday morning cartoons. I always regretted not giving it a proper go as I never got a game in the end due to my laziness. Story of my life really.

Who knows what could have happened if I'd stuck with it. I could have been out there playing on Croke Park having a laugh with Richard Dunne about the mediocrity of Paul McShane. If only...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm suitably impressed. GY must be so proud

When he plays at my level, then I'll be proud.

I like to play rightside forward in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 but I played most of my top level games in a roaming role behind the striker(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Des wrote: »

Hey Id love to if I was living in Dublin. Though my height and jackel n hyde performances can put teams off...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

The next post just reminded me that I actually played in goal for my first two matches. Came on as a sub against Dominics in Friary Field in Dundalk and played a stomer - must had saved 10 clear cut chances. Then started my second game against Rangers in the Fairgreen and managed to concede 7 goals :D To this day, I still blame the lads that were behind my goal constantly abusing me thoughout the match (two lads from the neighbouring traveller camp). Anyway, slightly off topic :)

Surely you mean Bellew Park, unless you're really old!!! Loved playing in Bellew Pk, seemed really big when i was 10, now i reckon i could kick a ball almost the whole length of it..

The neigbouring travellers always added to the atmosphere, what with the bare-knuckle fighting and other traveller games.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Definitely a centre half, I would be a Terry or Vidic stle defender, not much pace more bravery and positioning skills and not much in the form of going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ibh wrote: »
    Surely you mean Bellew Park, unless you're really old!!! Loved playing in Bellew Pk, seemed really big when i was 10, now i reckon i could kick a ball almost the whole length of it..

The neigbouring travellers always added to the atmosphere, what with the bare-knuckle fighting and other traveller games.....

Played in Bellew Park 100+ times but this one was in the Fair Green - the one that was on the side of the Marist anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Wheres the option for "missionary"?

FearDark wrote: »
    Wheres the option for "missionary"?

vader-fail.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

a younger, non baldy, zidane, thats me, but without the skill

• Advertisement
Advertisement