Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Street Traders in Henry Street (Whats the point?)

Options
  • 11-12-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

If those street traders were not planted in the middle of Henry Street, there would be a hell of a lot more space to walk. The main product this year is tins of Roses for a tenner.
    You can get the same tins in Tesco or Dunnes two for €15.00.
    So what is the point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It's a tradition, sherrup and spend more money!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If those street traders were not planted in the middle of Henry Street, there would be a hell of a lot more space to walk. The main product this year is tins of Roses for a tenner.
    So what is the point?

Have a Christmas haggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Are you the grinch that stole christmas?:D

I FRICKIN LOVE CRIMBO!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Are you the grinch that stole christmas?:D

I'm Just a grumpy ba$tard who needs his space while shopping.
    Bah humbug.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

yeah was down that way yesterday and saw them, was tempted to buy a set of those guaranteed to set your house on fire lights for the crimbo tree :D

Can't say i really noticed them being in the way all that much or that they had much of interest to buy.

Now the guys inside the henerys st entrance to Illac center with all those yummy bun's and stuff will be getting my business again mmmmmmm
    /wonders if they will be there if i go in later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The point is purely to ruin your day.

They had a meeting and vote followed by cake. This was decided as the best way to get at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It wouldn't be christmas without them ,5 for 50 the wrappin paper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

they've started to invade Grafton St. now. Saw them outside Stephen's green centre

"foive fer a foiva"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

If they're all on Henry Street selling stuff, then they can't be in your house at the same time robbing stuff, simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Toe-blee-ro-ins too yeeearo...

Try listening to that for 8 hours a day for the month of December bah-humbug I say :-) (stuck in a first floor office on Henry Street...)

Hav'nt heard a 'last of da...' yet though, things must be slow this year - that normally starts by the 8th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

They're off to court now, to keep their right to run their power generators that the council want them to stop using.

Have to say the value of the tradition (hell, even culture of Henry St.) is far outweighed b the concerns I'd have about them legally. Are the goods legit? Are VAT and Income Tax paid on all sales? Where do you go if you're Christmas lights are faulty? Are they insured? Do they pay rates, or is it just the traders' license fee they pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

cgarvey wrote: »
    Have to say the value of the tradition (hell, even culture of Henry St.) is far outweighed b the concerns I'd have about them legally. Are the goods legit? Are VAT and Income Tax paid on all sales? Where do you go if you're Christmas lights are faulty? Are they insured? Do they pay rates, or is it just the traders' license fee they pay?

None of the above I'd say :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

OP- I agree with you, it's tough getting down Henry Street in the evening times when they're there taking up 1/4 of the street space. Add them to buggys and Christmas shoppers hypnotised by 'sale signs' and flashing lights, impossible to navigate through it all. I've started going the long way round to get home to avoid Henry Street.

Bah Humbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Do they pay any rent on the premises (temporary). I know I'd be pissed off if I owned a shop on Henry St. paying fortunes in rent and these people were paying nothing for having a stall next to my shop.

I suppose they will always be there and we'd better get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

So what is the point?

Screw the traders - rip off big time.

Go to Newry and get the same tin for £5 in Sainsburys!!!!

5.00 GBP = 5.58121 EUR

Happy Days - no dubious traders selling you dubious tins of roses for dubious rip off prices.

Advertisement