Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cecil Nolan from "The Grove" to present special St. Stephen's Day Show!

Options
  • 11-12-2008 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Cecil Nolan, known to generations as the DJ at The Grove Social Club – the original alternative disco, will present a special three hour show on Phantom 105.2 this St. Stephen’s Day, December 26th at 8PM. This will be the second year running that Cecil has presented a Grove special on Phantom.

Cecil Nolan or just “Cecil”, which he was more affectionately known as, started DJing in 1963. But it wasn’t until 1967 that he and his fellow members of the Belgrove Football Club decided to start their own social club, The Grove Social Club - taking its name from the venue in which it was founded. Deciding who was to DJ for this club didn’t pose much of a problem, as Cecil had already built up the reputation as “The Music Man” of Clontarf.

Left to his own devices and taste in music, Cecil had a free hand when it came to deciding what music he was going to play each night. “I played whatever I wanted because I knew there was a market out there for it and if it failed, well I didn’t care, at least I was enjoying myself,” recalls “The Music Man”.

Over the years the Grove moved home a number of times eventually relocating to the gym of St. Paul’s in Raheny. In 1997, Cecil hung up his headphones at this Northside institution with Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” being the last song played by “The Music Man”.

Now eleven years later, Cecil Nolan comes out of retirement temporarily and dusts down his vast vinyl collection – that spans thirty years from 1967 to 1997 - for a special show on St. Stephens Day on Dublin’s Phantom 105.2. The entire show will be played on vinyl with a pair of turntables being especially installed in studio for the occasion.

There will never be a alternative disco quite like The Grove … and you can relive the experience this Christmas on Phantom 105.2 (slow set included)! Grove-sters can request their favourite Grove tunes by sending a text to (083) 311 1052 and starting their text with the word ‘Grove’ or by e-mailing live@phantom.ie and put the word Grove in the subject line.

Phantom 105.2, PPI Music station of the year, plays the best in independent and modern rock and is available on FM in Dublin, nationwide on NTL/Chorus Channel 935 and worldwide online at www.phantom.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I remember getting to hear some of last year's show with Cecil Nolan. I really enjoyed what I heard. The show was kind of special - it brought back memories of rock-oriented discos as well as music I used to hear on the radio a lot. Cecil himself was pretty unique in his style of presentation and obviously was enjoying what he was doing and playing. Looking forward, hopefully, to hearing a bit again this year, if I do not drive anyone else mad!!

Advertisement