Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensing boiler - balancing system?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

We have a new condensing boiler retro-fitted to our existing system: 8 rads some with TRVs.

Setting the flow temp at 75 degrees C and with the pump at its lowest setting, the boiler return is about 60 degrees C.

Manual says aim for a 20 degree C drop across flow and return. How should I go about balancing the system?

I haven't quite grasped the theory behind condensing boilers. Is it the return temp that is important to achieve high effiency? If so, what is the figure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stillbornalive

have you had an automatic bypass valve fitted to the system.

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/Catalogue/Non%20Electric/5.1%20DU145.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

Nope. And manual says it doesn't need a bypass.

gary71,

Had a look. Good info. Also

http://www.rvr.ie/default.aspx?subj=html/condensingboiler.ascx

Good graph.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

A return temperature of 60 degrees on a domestic system with radiators is about as good as you can get

• Advertisement

In respect of balancing your system, as you have trv's fitted they will when they reach the set temperature stop the flow of water into the rad changing the characteristics of the flow of water in your heating system, which will impact on your return temperature ie..if you have 4 rads with trv's when they are up to temperature you will go from a 8 rad system to a 4 rad system, Gary

balancing with TRVs fully open

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Turn down flow temp. you really want 55 degree C return temperture to take full advantage of your boiler.

Balancing rads. Getting a 12 to 15 degree C drop. All are hot. Will lower boiler temp and try to get a lower return temp to boiler

Have you adjusted balancing valve on return to cylinder?

to really acheive it in a standard installation you may need to increase size of radiators.

• Advertisement

Cylinder return valve closed while I balance rads. Three upstairs rads are very old single panel no fins. We hope to change them next year.

With the LSVs open I get about 10 deg C drop on upstairs rads and about 15 degree C drop on downstairs rads. 10 deg C drop on a kickspace rad. Drop across boiler about 15 degrees C

I would balance with return valve to cylinder open, as it would be through normal operation of system. It will effect your flow and return temps. adjusting this valve right is key.

Do I treat it as a lock shield valve? It's a 1 inch flow and return to the cylinder.

exactly.

Advertisement