Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new graphics card ?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all, i was running a agp geforce 6600gt with 256 mb of memory on my system which is an Amd Athlon 2400+ 2ghz with 1.5 gigs of ram on an ASUS A7N8X motherboard with a 600 watt power supply, last night the graphics card gave up and died on me, now i have seen a new card on Komplett, the one below.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344106

would this be a decent upgrade from my last card, and more importantly would it run ok on my system.

many thanks,
    voyager :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not really, it would be faster but at 100 euro it's shocking value. Shockingly bad, that is. It's not even as fast as a reference 7600GT. This is twice as fast. But your CPU is pretty slow so the best medium is probably a X1650/HD3650/7600GT class card with DDR3. Elara and Komplett only seem to stock them - the X1650 and HD3650 - with 512mb DDR2, better then nothing however and still faster then a 6600GT.

AGP cards are terrible value for money and your machine is ancient, maybe time to think about a new build instead? 250 euro would get you a board, cpu, ram and a PCI-E card miles faster then a 6600GT. You could use your old case/supply/hard drive/dvd drive etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

hi TerrorFirmer, i believe i will go down the road that you suggest, however i am not an expert in these matters, could you please suggest some parts that i might be able to use to upgrade as you suggest.
    many thanks in advance,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I assume you're using this machine for gaming? What's your budget? And is that power supply of yours branded (unless its a very poor model 600W should be more than enough for a low-mid-range build :) )

EDIT - In any case that stuff down below is plenty good. And a LOT faster than your current setup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I agree with Terror.You can build a very good modern pc from scratch for about 250.

You could probably sell your mobo, graphics card, ram and cpu for €80 or so on adverts/ebay.

ctrk6pc6e5fzman7qj2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

i got a 3850 for sale atm

click on adverts
    <<<< over there

105 shipped..only a month old

• Advertisement

Hi all, many thanks for all your input so far, what do you think of the following specs i have considered, would it be suitable for mid range gaming,

- intel Dual Core 2 duo E7300
    - Asus P5KPL/1600 ATX Mbd
    - Radeon hd4670 512mb
    - 600W ATX Case
    - 2GB DDRII RAM PC800
    - 500GB SATA II HDD 32MB Cache

many thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

you need to post some brand names and type names so we can more of an idea what parts you are getting..which are good which can be improoved.

thanks for the reply Hoser, i will get back later with some more brand names, but in the specs are intel, radeon, asus, so as far as it looks so far would it be a good mid range system.
    sorry i cant be more specific but i dont have the time right now.

thanks again, voyager:cool:

Advertisement