Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A: Milan must adapt to Gattuso loss at Juve

• 11-12-2008 4:42pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Preview
    AC Milan must start adapting to the loss of Gennaro Gattuso's stirring midfield presence when they visit Serie A title rivals Juventus in Turin on Sunday (1930 GMT).

The Italy international will have surgery next week after damaging knee ligaments in last Sunday's 1-0 win over Catania and risks missing the rest of the season.

"This injury was a big surprise for us. On Sunday he finished the game and he was fundamentally important for us, as always," forward Andriy Shevchenko told the club's in-house TV channel. "He is a leader for us. We'll miss him a lot."

In theory, Milan have plenty of back-up in Emerson, Mathieu Flamini and Massimo Ambrosini.

Although Emerson and Flamini are good readers of the game, they lack Gattuso's dynamism and ability to cover so much ground in 90 minutes.

Ambrosini is the most natural stand-in.

But coach Carlo Ancelotti regularly fields them both in his starting lineup, with Gattuso operating predominantly across the width of the pitch to plug gaps and Ambrosini going forward more to pressure opponents in possession and support attacks.

Gattuso's loss will inevitably cause tactical changes, although he would not have been able to play this weekend anyway because of suspension.

The omens for Milan are not great as the player was missing in the three defeats they have suffered so far in Serie A.

Ambrosini has had injury problems of his own and has missed several recent matches. He is expected to be available on Sunday though, as he was able to train with his team mates on Wednesday.

Fellow midfielder Andrea Pirlo and forward Ronaldinho are tipped to come back too after missing the Catania game with fitness problems, but Clarence Seedorf remains an injury doubt.

Juventus captain Alessandro Del Piero is set to return to the starting lineup after missing Sunday's 2-1 win at Lecce with a muscle strain. Del Piero came on in the second half of Wednesday's goalless draw with BATE Borisov in the Champions League.

Italy midfielder Mauro Camoranesi should be able to return too despite a shoulder knock, coach Claudio Ranieri said following the BATE game, but defender Nicola Legrottaglie is suspended.

Champions Inter Milan, who have a six-point lead over joint-second Milan and Juve, will look to make ground on at least one of their rivals by collecting their seventh consecutive league win at home to bottom side Chievo Verona earlier on Sunday (1400).
    Saturday, December 13, 2008
    Time Home Away VENUE
    17:00 UK Bologna v Torino Renato Dall'Ara
    19:30 UK Napoli v Lecce San Paolo
    Sunday, December 14, 2008
    Time Home Away VENUE
    14:00 UK Fiorentina v Catania Artemio Franchi
    14:00 UK Genoa v Atalanta Comunale Luigi Ferraris
    14:00 UK Internazionale v Chievo Verona Giuseppe Meazza
    14:00 UK Palermo v Siena Renzo Barbera
    14:00 UK Reggina v Sampdoria Stadio Oreste Granillo
    14:00 UK AS Roma v Cagliari Olimpico
    14:00 UK Udinese v Lazio Friuli
    19:30 UK Juventus v AC Milan Stadio Olimpico Grande Torino

I'm off to Inter -V- Chievo and will then be watching Milan Juventus in a Milan bar with my Milan supporter friend in my Inter gear. Sunday evening should be fun

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Good game. Some cracking goals. Some school boy defending but I'm leaving a haapy Inter fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Had bets on the Roma, Inter and Fiorentina matches and I was a nervous wreck. Fiorentina scored literally the exact same time Cagliari got one in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Edge of the seat stuff for both the Rome sides. Roma winning in the 90th and Lazio coming back from 3-0 to draw.

Have a great evening kearnsr. Dead jealous here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

For any of the degenerates out there Pato is 17/2 on bet365 to score the first goal and inzaghi is also 17/2 to score the last goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan to win 2-0 with the the players boosted by the immenent arrival of reigining Brazilian player of the year Thaigo Silva.

Feck yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

just noticed something from that article
    Although Emerson and Flamini are good readers of the game, they lack Gattuso's dynamism and ability to cover so much ground in 90 minutes.

Flamini lacks dynamism now? did they watch him play for Arsenal at all last season? at times he looked like Gattuso on steroids with the amount of ground he covered and pressurising he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Flamini, along with Gattuso and Kaka, is out of tonights game. Emerson and Seedorf will start in midfield.

Midfeild of Emerson, Seedorf and Ambrosini is fairly decent with Pato, Ronaldinho and Boriello up front if you ask me.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Midfeild of Emerson, Seedorf and Ambrosini is fairly decent with Pato, Ronaldinho and Boriello up front if you ask me.

no chance of borriello playing

Infariness if Pirlo wasnt starting (which I didnt hink he would as he's been injured) Boriello would have started with pato and roanldinho just behind.
    Actually, He wouldnt have, eh's not even in the travling party.

Official line ups.

Milan
    Abbiati; Zambrotta, Maldini, Kaladze, Jankulovski; Ambrosini, Emerson, Pirlo; Seedorf, Ronaldinho; Pato.

Juve
    Manninger; Grygera, Mellberg, Chiellini, Molinaro; Marchionni, Sissoko, Marchisio, Nedved; Del Piero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

AC Milan lineup:

Abbiati
    Maldini
    Kaladze
    Zambrotta
    Janjulovski
    Emerson
    Seedorf
    Pirlo
    Ambrosini
    Ronaldinho
    Pato

Juventus lineup:

Manninger
    Chiellini
    Mellberg
    Grygera
    Molinaro
    Nedved
    Marchisio
    Sissoko
    Marchionni
    Del Piero
    Amauri

Some big names missing which is a bit of a shame.

Buffon
    Trezeguet
    Kaka
    Gattuso
    Camoranesi
    Nesta

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Juve squad is in tatters. Theoretically should be a win for Milan, but with the snow and the big-match jitters there's hope for the Oul Wan.

Penalty for Juve.

Goal.............

Del Piero from 12 yards.

1 - 0 Juve.

Equaliser from Pato. Good work from Ronaldinho.

1 - 1

Goal.............

Milan drew level for only 2 mins. Chiellini with a header to restore the lead for Juve.

2 - 1

Goal................

Amauri with another Juve header.

3 - 1 Juve.

Goal...........

3 - 2

Ambrosini pulls one back for Milan.

Goal.........

Amauri with his second. Game over now Me thinks.

4 - 2 Juve

1-1 Pato after a great bit of play!

:(

Ack! Nedved gone.
    Hoping OM can put another one over on OM in the other big 'big-two' match this weekend. They could potentially leap-frog into top spot.

G'wan the Chiellini!

:(:(:( - :)

Looking decidedly less ropey now! Nice to see the aerial threat hasn't disappeared with 13&guet.

Fcuking Juventus to say the least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Seaneh wrote: »
    :(:(:( - :)

That's an hilarious way to symbolise scores :)

What station is this on in Ireland ? Setanta maybe.

bet365.com

:(:(:( - :):)

Zambro off, thats the end of that.

:(:(:(:( - :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

pretty crap that with all the blooming channels on sky you still cant get italian football :-(

Samurai wrote: »
    pretty crap that with all the blooming channels on sky you still cant get italian football :-(

I am watching on Canal+ Futbol in Spain. If you know anything about satellites you could re-align yours and try pick it up.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/europe.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Gotta love the Old Lady...

• Advertisement

I hate you!

Eeeeexcellent. Inter will love that too, though, the gits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Juventus 4-2 Milan
    Del Piero 15p Alexandre Pato 31
    Chiellini 34 Ambrosini 56
    Amauri 41, 69

Jaysus must have been some game

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It was a class weekend. I'll try and post some photos and about the match later if I've time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

You were at the game? Lucky bastard! What was the stadium like? What's the process of getting tickets? I'll be in Turin early next year and want to get some, heard you have to wait till the week of the game. I'll be going to the Lecce game, should be easy to get tickets for that

All Serie A games are easy to get tickets for unless it is something like the Milan Derby.

• Advertisement

Quint wrote: »
    You were at the game? Lucky bastard! What was the stadium like? What's the process of getting tickets? I'll be in Turin early next year and want to get some, heard you have to wait till the week of the game. I'll be going to the Lecce game, should be easy to get tickets for that

It was class. Juve are the biggest supported team in Italy but no one goes to the games (at least in the old stadium). I both my tickets on inter.it and collected them the day of the game.

If you are going to any one in the top 4 unless you are a season ticket holder you will pay top money. I think I paid about €150 for a milan derby ticket a couple of years ago.
    redout wrote: »
    All Serie A games are easy to get tickets for unless it is something like the Milan Derby.

There was signs up on sunday saying the game was sold out but there was 50000 people there (I dont belive that number)

Advertisement