Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards is recruiting again??

Options
  • 11-12-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Well congratulations for being in a position to do so, its nice to see a company expanding during the recession. A pretty significant expansion too! I hope CuLT won't mind sharing his coke and hookers :)

I couldn't help but smile at the idea of a "Community Manager" will that be a judge, jury, executioner, peacemaker, lawmaker or combination thereof?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wow, fair play guys. That's some expansion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Extra cash from daft.ie I guess helps them expand :)
    Cult is still employee #1 in my eyes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I wonder if they need a tea-boy?

*polishes up CV*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

cornbb wrote: »
    I couldn't help but smile at the idea of a "Community Manager" will that be a judge, jury, executioner, peacemaker, lawmaker or combination thereof?

Hhmmmmm, I've been looking for a change of pace :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

We are pretty excited about this, the tech additions are to beef up the infrastructure and development side, we want people who will work out as well as CuLT has and by allowing them to focus on specific tasks and reduce the jumping from development work to sys admin boards.ie members should experience more improvements.

The Community Manager position is also a very important position to us, we want a more consistent response to both the members and the moderators. We recognize that we need someone dedicated to supporting the community in a more reliable/dependable way than we have been able to in the recent past and so the search is on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

So is the Community Manager going to be effectively taking over the more hands-on role of the Admins on the site then, rather than stuff that gets passed up the chain having to wait until one of you guys happens to be online? Won't be applying myself, just curious as to what's envisaged for the job.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Vexorg wrote: »
    We are pretty excited about this, the tech additions are to beef up the infrastructure and development side, we want people who will work out as well as CuLT has and by allowing them to focus on specific tasks and reduce the jumping from development work to sys admin boards.ie members should experience more improvements.

The Community Manager position is also a very important position to us, we want a more consistent response to both the members and the moderators. We recognize that we need someone dedicated to supporting the community in a more reliable/dependable way than we have been able to in the recent past and so the search is on..

good news and great plans. might even polish up the CV for tech director. hmmm.

Community Manager seems the key role to me though, hopefully a pretty much full proxy for the admins with all their powers but available more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

So when's cults leaving doo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Would it not be cheaper to hire scientists to clone CuLT? :)

Congrats btw.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Online Community Manager - I'd give my right nut for that job !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All this during an advertising revenue downturn as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

To apply or not to apply?

BTW, we will miss you CuLT

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What recession. G'luck cult .o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Good news on the face of it, to have someone employed in a pro capacity to deal with the, I suppose, grey areas of boards.ie that cannot be solved by someone pushing buttons, nor should an attempt be made to do so.

A welcome development indeed, but I wonder how one shows the qualifications to be a "community manager". You admins are breaking new ground here, and are to be commended for that. I too am curious though, as to what role this person will fulfil, and what powers they will have over everybody else. As long as the site or mini memes thereof remain about the work they do, rather than about them, we'll be sorted.

NVM, I read the announcement :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A welcome development indeed, but I wonder how one shows the qualifications to be a "community manager". You admins are breaking new ground here, and are to be commended for that. I too am curious though, as to what role this person will fulfil, and what powers they will have over everybody else. As long as the site or mini memes thereof remain about the work they do, rather than about them, we'll be sorted.

Community Managers aren't exactly new ground. They've been around on the net for a long time - there's even an association of them online :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why the notion of being Dublin based if you're a Community Ass Kicker?

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Community Managers aren't exactly new ground. They've been around on the net for a long time - there's even an association of them online :)

Most intriguing. I have some reading to do, as this is something I find quite interesting.

mike65 wrote: »
    Why the notion of being Dublin based if you're a Community Ass Kicker?

'Cos that's where the clique is based, silly!

Nah seriously, I assume the lads would prefer to have a face to face rather than conducting business over the net.

CuLT is going nowhere, I will staple him to his seat if I have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

CuLT is going nowhere, I will staple him to his seat if I have to.

10mm or 10.5 mm? I'd suggest clout nails tbh,or even better,ridge tile nails.

What does this mean for boards,like more features and stuff? A new overlord?

'Cos that's where the clique is based, silly!

Nah seriously, I assume the lads would prefer to have a face to face rather than conducting business over the net.

Now theres the RM I miss, thats pretty much the reason, it may be that as the job matures it could can be done remotely, I would be much happier to be able to discuss ideas over a coffee and face to face than over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Nerin wrote: »

it means i make you my bitch!

/takes all three jobs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So many questions...

What colour stars will the Community Manager have? :pac:

Mirror wrote: »
    it means i make you my bitch!

/takes all three jobs

You wish :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Ponster wrote: »
    Online Community Manager - I'd give my right nut for that job !

Yeah, I'll gve Ponster's right nut for that job!

Nerin wrote: »

Clout nails you say - I like the sound of that.

What does it mean for boards, well the tech appointments means we have a clear development role, a clear sys admin role and someone to guide and mentor the tech side of the business for us.

This should mean we get to plan & deliver what features and new things you and we (boards.ie admins) want with fewer distarctions.

Development to date has always suffered distraction from infrastructure issues many of them have been solved and the site responses times are quicker despite the numbers of simultaneous users increasing dramatically - trying to identify the cause of various problems and trying to "develop" at the same time and all this done by one full time person just cannot work on a site as large as boards.ie.

And there is no new overload.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Silverfish wrote: »

I bid his left one. Sale or return.

Clout nails you say - I like the sound of that.

What does it mean for boards, well the tech appointments means we have a clear development role, a clear sys admin role and someone to guide and mentor the tech side of the business for us.

This should mean we get to plan & deliver what features and new things you and we (boards.ie admins) want with fewer distarctions.

Development to date has always suffered distraction from infrastructure issues many of them solved and the site responses times are quicker despite the numbers of simultaneous users increasing dramatically - trying to identify the cause of various problems and trying to "develop" at the same time and all this done by one full time person just cannot work on a site as large as boards.ie.

And there is no new overload.

The problem is that clouts only go up as far as 50mm.

Sounds good. The whole fixing existing stuff while making new treats for us would require cult to grow more hands....
    Although...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Silverfish wrote: »

Ahhh...stop getting me excited !

Advertisement