Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Net adpators on one laptop

Options
  • 11-12-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Hope someone can help me out here. On my laptop in work I have two ethernet ports, one onboard and one pcimca. The onboard is connected to the work LAN/internet and the other is to machines I work on.

My problem is that when I just have the onboard ethernet hooked up i can view the internet and server with no delay.

As soon as I plug in the machine network the net goes slow. I know this is probably down to the laptop checking both connections to see which has the access required but is there any way to solve this problem to speed up my connection when both cables are plugged in.

Hope Ive explained this well and someone can help

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You've pin-pointed it yourself! Your machine will see two gateways and get confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

ethernet wrote: »
    You've pin-pointed it yourself! Your machine will see two gateways and get confused.

Any way of defining the onboard as the gateway to internet and server?
    as in maybe tell mozilla to use 192.168.x.x as internet gateway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Go to your Network Properties, Properties of your NICs, TCP/IP Properties - Advanced and untick "Automatic Metric" on both. Set the one you want to use as your real gateway to something low like 10, then the other to 20. It won't mess up your local connections as they take precedence.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Thats the one.

Thanks _CreeD_ appreciate it

Advertisement