Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 ten Prem players as voted by 32000 fans worldwide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

mike65 wrote: »
    The top 10 players in Premier League history as published by Barclays Global Fans Report 2008

Thierry Henry
    Steven Gerrard
    Eric Cantona
    David Beckham
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Alan Shearer
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Fernando Torres
    Roy Keane
    Gianfranco Zola

Top 3 for 2008

Fernando Torres
    Steven Gerrard
    Cristiano Ronaldo.

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2008/12/11/Feature-Barclays-Global-Fans-Survey-/gnid-31064/

Was it 32,000 Pool fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Beckham over Giggs or Scholes?

Also, no player - no matter how good - should be included unless they've played a fair few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

As good as Torres is, he should be nowhere near that list. Maybe in a few years, but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

roryc wrote: »
    Was it 32,000 Pool fans?

bitter much? edit: i do agree Ronaldo and Torres shouldnt be in there yet, but neither should Beckham at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

No goalkeeper or defender, they'll get stuffed!!

• Advertisement

bitter much?

haha why would I be bitter??? Meaningless Poll which IMO Ronaldo, Torres and Gerrard shouldn't be anywhere near (yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

That list is a joke

Top Five I'd prob have

Henry, Keane, Bergkamp, Cantona, Shearer... in any order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Torres wtf?!
    How can he be on that list when he hasn't played more than 50 PL games?
    Was the survey done in Liverpool or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis interesting that 20 years of unalloyed success has not had more of an impact on Utds popularity around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Surely Viera should have made the list :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Top Five I'd prob have

Henry, Keane, Bergkamp, Cantona, Shearer... in any order

replace Keane with Zola and i'd go for that...

Your joking.
    How could you leave Keane out of a top 5 of Premiership players?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

haha why would I be bitter??? Meaningless Poll which IMO Ronaldo, Torres and Gerrard shouldn't be anywhere near (yet)

thats fair enough with regards ronaldo and torres

but you're being hugely unfair on gerrard, this is his 10th premier league campaign

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

considering their domination there should be more utd players there. scholes & keane definately, giggs maybe too.
    how torres got there i dont know

as mike said tho, utd still remain a bovril club around the world. u either love them or hate them

mayordenis wrote: »
    thats fair enough with regards ronaldo and torres

but you're being hugely unfair on gerrard, this is his 10th premier league campaign

perhaps... I just think there have been 10 players over the history of the Premiership that I would put in ahead of him. Its close though, I would prob put him in 11th or 12th on the list

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

perhaps... I just think there have been 10 players over the history of the Premiership that I would put in ahead of him. Its close though, I would prob put him in 11th or 12th on the list

I would probably agree to be honest,
    just I think you were a little over the top with the "shouldn't be anywhere near" remark, and though it was not fair to put him in the same category as torres/ronaldo.

Anyway onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

name these ten players so or else ur lying..

i would agree with you about torres and perhaps ronnie but stevie should get into the top ten i reckon easily enough..nice to see that lampard isnt being mentioned at all even tho there are alot of ppl who think he should be gettin on ahead of stevie for ingerland..i love the lamps stevie debate cos lamps fans havent a leg to stand on really...but go ahead lamps fans, do ur worst

was the title meant to read top ten players..cos as is it merely says ten players who have played in the prem league and i dont think there can be any argument that these ten players did indeed play in the prem league :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mike65 wrote: »
    The top 10 players in Premier League history as published by Barclays Global Fans Report 2008

Thierry Henry
    Steven Gerrard
    Eric Cantona
    David Beckham
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Alan Shearer
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Fernando Torres
    Roy Keane
    Gianfranco Zola

Top 3 for 2008

Fernando Torres
    Steven Gerrard
    Cristiano Ronaldo.

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2008/12/11/Feature-Barclays-Global-Fans-Survey-/gnid-31064/
    Let me see the greats missing from this list.

Schmeichel
    Irwin
    Adams
    Viera
    Seaman
    McGrath
    Rooney
    Andy Cole
    Desailly

I'm not saying they should be all in there but theres certainly at least two if not more that should be in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

if you are gonna say desailly and cole im gonna say le tissier and fowler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mormank wrote: »
    if you are gonna say desailly and cole im gonna say le tissier and fowler
    No problem with them being added to the list, it just strengthens the point. The reason I put Rooney in is that he is longer around than both Ronaldo and Torres and has been consistently top class during his time in the premiership.

Basically Ronaldo does not deserve a place there yet and Torres has a long way to go to claim a place on that list.

As for Gerard, well I wouldn't argue heavily against his inclusion but I personally would not have him in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Top 3 for 2008

Ronaldo
    Torres
    Lampard

IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Where the hell is Tony Adams ?

redout wrote: »
    Where the hell is Tony Adams ?

In the pub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is suprisingly accurate:
    According to fans, Chelsea are the favourites to win the title this season (37%), followed by Manchester United (27%), Liverpool (24%) and Arsenal (10%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Frisbee wrote: »
    In the pub?

aye he was fond of the odd drink but would certainly be in my top 10.

I would have him before any of this lot

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Fernando Torres
    David Beckham

redout wrote: »
    aye he was fond of the odd drink but would certainly be in my top 10.

I would have him before any of this lot

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Fernando Torres
    David Beckham

QFT
    Legend of a man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Was it 32,000 Pool fans?

More Utd supporters polled than Liverpool supporters (barely;)).
    It is not just on the pitch that Liverpool are closing the gap on Manchester United: the English Premier League (EPL) leaders are also winning the battle for new fans around the world.

The biggest-ever survey of EPL fans across the globe has revealed that Liverpool are on the verge of toppling United from their perch as the best-supported club in the world's favourite league.

The survey, organised by the EPL's principal sponsors, Barclays, polled 32,000 fans in 185 countries and territories.

United remain the most popular club but only by the tiniest of margins with both teams attracting the backing of 26 per cent of the supporters who took part in the voluntary survey.

For Liverpool, that represents a significant advance on the 18 percent figure they registered in a similar but smaller survey carried out by Barclays three years ago.

The popularity of Liverpool's biggest stars also suggests that United's status as the most valuable brand in English football is under siege.

Cristiano Ronaldo may have been a near unanimous choice for this year's Ballon d'Or after inspiring his club to a Premier League and Champions League double.

But he trails behind Liverpool duo Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard in terms of popularity among fans.

Historically, Thierry Henry continues to be regarded as the greatest player to have graced the Premier League since its launch in 1992 - although it is Henry's Barcelona team-mate, Lionel Messi, that fans regard as the most desirable target among stars currently plying their trade outside England.

There are important regional differences in the survey's findings. Eric Cantona is still the king for fans in South Africa and United are still out in front as the most popular team in Asia, buoyed perhaps by the fact that South Korean midfielder Park Ji-Sung is now a regular at Old Trafford.

The survey is not encouraging for Chelsea's hopes of supplanting Manchester United as the English club with the biggest international fan base.

The west London club appear to be regarded as this season's team to beat - 37 per cent of fans tipped them to win the title - but only ten per cent are willing to declare themselves supporters, well behind Arsenal (15 per cent), as well as the market leaders Manchester United and Liverpool.

The survey offers intriguing insights into the importance of the EPL in the lives of its followers: over two thirds of them will have splashed out on a replica shirt and nearly half regard football as more important than family matters, job or relationship issues.

The poll also reflects technological change with the internet (82 per cent of those polled) now almost as important a medium for the enjoyment of football as television (92 per cent).

Newspapers meanwhile have been relegated to third place (55 percent) and are under siege from new platforms such as internet feeds to mobile phones.

Some traditional aspects of English football culture continue to dominate with the passion of fans and the atmosphere in the country's stadiums ranked as the most attractive feature of the EPL, ahead of the attacking style of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

but stevie should get into the top ten i reckon easily enough..nice to see that lampard isnt being mentioned at all even tho there are alot of ppl who think he should be gettin on ahead of stevie for ingerland..i love the lamps stevie debate cos lamps fans havent a leg to stand on really...but go ahead lamps fans, do ur worst

Trying your best to stir this up are we? Can we not have one thread where either Gerard or Lampard's comes up that doesn't descend into a who is better argument.

Some like Gerrard, some like Lampard. Thats the way football is. Get over yourself. The fact that you feel like you have to encourage another argument on it suggests that maybe your thinking you need to justify your decision. Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

i would agree with you about torres and perhaps ronnie but stevie should get into the top ten i reckon easily enough..nice to see that lampard isnt being mentioned at all even tho there are alot of ppl who think he should be gettin on ahead of stevie for ingerland..i love the lamps stevie debate cos lamps fans havent a leg to stand on really...but go ahead lamps fans, do ur worst

Lampard is a better player than Stevie Gerrard.Far more consistent then him and considering that England are worst up front and fat Frank lashes in just under 1 goal in 2 games it should be a no brainer. Stevie's a better big game player but Lampard's not bad in big games either. Also, the person who listed a top 5 without Ronaldo should realise that there are only two Ballon d'Or golden shoe double winners in the history of the premiership and both should be in the top 5 unquestionably

As for the list, it's a joke. No Peter Schmeichel, no Viera and 2 players from Liverpool's perrenially bad team without one from Chelsea's 2 league team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No one likes Chelsea (or more to the point in a global survey, has hardly heard of them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Lampard is a better player than Stevie Gerrard.Far more consistent then him and considering that England are worst up front and fat Frank lashes in just under 1 goal in 2 games it should be a no brainer. Stevie's a better big game player but Lampard's not bad in big games either. Also, the person who listed a top 5 without Ronaldo should realise that there are only two Ballon d'Or golden shoe double winners in the history of the premiership and both should be in the top 5 unquestionably

As for the list, it's a joke. No Peter Schmeichel, no Viera and 2 players from Liverpool's perrenially bad team without one from Chelsea's 2 league team

It's PLAYERS of the premiership not TEAMS of the premiership. That liverpool were/are ****/whatever you want to call it shouldnt make any difference. Excact same reason the fact Zola played for a **** chelsea side shouldnt make a difference on his inclusion either. The number of premier leagues the team's have won should have no bearing on it.

Also, goals doesnt equal better player either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    Let me see the greats missing from this list.

Schmeichel
    Irwin
    Adams
    Viera
    Seaman
    McGrath
    Rooney
    Andy Cole
    Desailly

I'm not saying they should be all in there but theres certainly at least two if not more that should be in there.

That is an insult to so many greats. Rooney isn't even in the top 100 players to have played in the Premiership.

And Desailly was no world beater at Chelsea. He was pretty much past it. Good, but not great by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

This is suprisingly accurate:

According to fans, Chelsea are the favourites to win the title this season (37%), followed by Manchester United (27%), Liverpool (24%) and Arsenal (10%)

[nerdpoint]
    When large numbers vote on stuff that the right answer is not yet known, but will be known sometime fairly soon, their predictions are usually extremely accurate. I'll spare you the maths.
    [/nerdpoint]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would say...

Roy Keane
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Thierry Henry
    Alan Shearer
    Gianfranco Zola
    Ryan Giggs
    Patrick Vieira
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Peter Schmeichel
    Eric Cantona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

bitter much?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

What a crap list.

Gerrard and Torres have no business being on that list. Nor does Ronaldo (yet).

What about Fowler? McManaman? Le Tissier? Giggs? Seaman? Schmiechel? Irwin? Bruce? Adams? Keown? Sheringham?

Those players were/are legends and contributed far more to the magic of the premiership than Ronaldo and Torres have and Gerrard and Lampard ever will.

I disagree on Lampard and Gerrard.

Over the past 10 years they have contributed just as much, if not more, to the Premiership than the likes of Adams, Keown, McManaman and Irwin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

My thoughts exactly.
    You ask anyone to name their top ten players of the last 15-20 years and you're guaranteed Le Tissier would be in there as long as Peter Beardsley/Les Ferdinand.
    Shearer/Fowler/Cantona for their scoring records..
    Keane/Viera for midfield.
    As for defence..Tony Adams/Sol Campbell and there's really only one choice for keep..old red nose himself Schmeichel.
    However Le Tissier/Beardsley and crikey even Cantona all retired over 11 years ago.
    10 years ago is not that far back.
    This surveys are ridiculous. you ask anyone the best players in the last 10 years and see what happens on the list..Torres appears for christ's sake. He's a fantastic player but he's only playing in his 2nd year.
    It should be the top 10 players from 2000-2010 etc, that way you're are limiting who's in line for it.

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    I disagree on Lampard and Gerrard.

Over the past 10 years they have contributed just as much, if not more, to the Premiership than the likes of Adams, Keown, McManaman and Irwin.

Is that why their medal count is the same? :p

• Advertisement

GuanYin wrote: »

Well sure if we're going just on medals then Bobby Mimms should be in there. He has more Premierships than Gerrard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Having torres and Ronaldo on that list is like when you see a Greatest albums of all time and having an album that is 3 years old on the list!
    They shouldn't be there yet, but maybe will if they give a good 5-10years in the premiership

Mine would be (in any order)
    Cantona
    Henry
    Shearer
    Schmeical
    Wright
    Teddy
    Keane
    Viera
    Scholes
    Adams

I am aware most of them are from UTD/Ars .. but they are the most successful premiership teams.

Well sure if we're going just on medals then Bobby Mimms should be in there. He has more Premierships than Gerrard :)

At least you didn't make me google the stats :p

Lampard is an above average player, with a good engine, he reminds me in many ways of the Villa guy who played beside Roy Keane in USA 94. Lampard has found himself in a very strong team and he's allowed to use hs strengths.
    He' has good technique and a great engine, but I don't think he's a "great". he'd suck in a weak team.

Gerrard is one of the most over-rated players I've ever watched. He can be brilliant on a given day and last season (I think) he carried his team. Compare him to the magic of watching Fowler and McManaman play together (when they cut Arsenal apart in 5 mins for example) and Gerrard doesn't have that.
    He doesn't do it every week and the team carries on fine without him. For what it is worth, I'd have Alonso in my team ahead of Gerrard.

I remember when I watched EPL games in highschool and college and I'd go see Southampton play just to watch Le Tissier do something magical for 5 minutes.

Bruce, Adams and Keown all had a warrior persona that made them a joy to watch. You really appreciated their defending (and I'm a striker).

Those are the players that make a league. Not Gerrard and Lampard.

hussey wrote: »
    Wright

Scholes

Ohh forgot about Scholes and Ian Wright!!

Good call!

Ok I have issues with this point -
    Gerrard is one of the most over-rated players I've ever watched. He can be brilliant on a given day and last season (I think) he carried his team. Compare him to the magic of watching Fowler and McManaman play together (when they cut Arsenal apart in 5 mins for example) and Gerrard doesn't have that.
    He doesn't do it every week and the team carries on fine without him. For what it is worth, I'd have Alonso in my team ahead of Gerrard.

You can't slate Gerrard for not doing it consistently then in the next paragraph say -
    I remember when I watched EPL games in highschool and college and I'd go see Southampton play just to watch Le Tissier do something magical for 5 minutes.

Le Tissier hardly worked his bollox of for 90 minutes yet you have him above Gerrard and on your list of best players in the Prem. Surely that's a contradiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Those user name are seriouisly confusing! Stop arguing with yourself!

Anyhoo....No Titus Bramble!?:eek:

Ok I have issues with this point -

You can't slate Gerrard for not doing it consistently then in the next paragraph say -

Le Tissier hardly worked his bollox of for 90 minutes yet you have him above Gerrard and on your list of best players in the Prem. Surely that's a contradiction.

Well for a start they are completely different types of players with different roles in the teams.

Gerrard NEEDs to be consistant to be effective. He can't have a good game for 50 or 60 minutes and then fade out. If he does that, his team suffers (look at his England performances as a prime example). He has had one excellent season for Liverpool that I can remember and he has shone on occasion other times. If I were picking team mates, I'd pick others before him

Le Tissier was absolutely a luxury player. You would be lucky if his work rate lasted 50 minutes. However, you only needed him to perform to his peak for 5 minutes and he'd win the game. Looking back, many of his goals came out of absolutely nowhere, were created 100% by him out of thin air and Southampton won games because he scored goals and then the rest of the team held on. He singlehandedly kept them in that league and they beat teams they had no right to beat. Even when the big teams came to town, they would worry about how to deal with Le Tissier. I can't think of many other players who have had that much influence on a league, nevermind a team.

To put it another way. Le Tissier showed he could carry his team to a level above their standard over several seasons. Gerrard barely managed that one season.

Don't get me wrong, I love Le Tiss, but to say he's been a better player than Gerrard is unfair on Stevie G.

Gerrard has every attribute needed to be a box to box midfielder. He can run all day, pass, shoot, tackle, head the ball.....basically he has everything, and his performances have been superbly consistent over such a long period of time.

Yes Gerrard has had off days but what player hasn't? For every Le Tiss five minutes of magic there's probably 50 minutes of Gerrard grabbing a game by the balls and popping up with cracking goals to get his team out of trouble.

Gerrard for me is more deserving of a place on the list than what you have admitted yourself is a complete luxury player.

Gerrard is less of an influence on Liverpool and the premiership than Le Tissier was on Souhampton in his time. Few players have matched Le Tissier in that department. Maybe Henry, Cantona, Keane.....

Most players today have a better engine and workrate than Le Tissier (he makes Andy Reid look fit) but few have ever been so influential.

Henry is a luxury player who goes missing for large periods of games. Most people would pick him over Gerrard.

I'll concede that Gerrard is the better all round professional footballer, as a player you watch playing football, Le Tissier wins.

On a good day, Gerrard will singlehandedly win you a game with his performance. Give Le Tissier 30 seconds on a bad day and he'll win you a game.

But Southampton were quite shit for the large part and Le Tiss was a big fish in a small pond. No way would he have had as much of an influence at a bigger club. In fact he probably wouldn't have been allowed to play given his lazy attitude.

• Advertisement
Advertisement