Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Directions - Roscrea, Co Tipperary to Cork

• 11-12-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Could anyone help me on this please - I'll be coming from there back to Cork on Sunday(we're having a Boards.ie Motors meet for those who are interested but as I'll be going to Limerick first of all (and I know how to get there) and I'll be following people I don't need to worry about direction getting to the place!), and it's been so long since I've been there I can't say I remember how I'm gonna get back home!

I'll be leaving from this place and before anyone asks yes I did look up the AA route planner, but it has no mention of the new motorway that's recently opened and sends you off on the old Cork-Dublin road.

Now the website above says I need to go back to Limerick and go onto the main Cork but that seems like a very long winded approach to me, cause I always thought that you go towards Thurles and eventually you'll join the main Cork-Dublin road(I know where to go once I'm on that) and go back that way.

So basically what I'm looking for help on is a) is going via Thurles faster, bearing in mind that i) I'll be working that day ii) where I work is near enough to Mahon Point and iii) I'm not a Sunday driver so I'll be driving at the 120 kph speed limit whenever I get the opportunity and b) if this way is faster, does anyone know how I'm going to go from Roscrea to Cork? I'm fairly certain that you need to go through Thurles, but I don't know what to do after that because the AA route planner has the old road on it, and I'm guessing that you end up going on the new Motorway not far after Thurles?

Once I'm on the motorway I know where to go.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Thats a tough one, and there is not much in it going to Thurles or Limerick, but considering you work near Mahon, Thurles is your best bet as you'll come straight into to the tunnel.

However the N62 from Roscrea to Thurles is shocking in places. You can access the N62 from the N7 bypass (of sorts) of Roscrea. Signposed for Templemore

After Thurles, continue on the N62 for Horse and Jockey and you will meet a new intersection about 10 miles out with the M8.

Might be worth checking local Tipp Websites to make sure there are no events that could hold you up, such as coursing in Thurles.

Mass may cause a few problems in places for you if you are going early.

On the AA, if you put Thurles as Via option, you'll get the full proper directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Use the N62 from Roscrea to Templemore, then on to Thurles and then on towards Cashel and Horse & Jockey.

It'll be very obvious where to go after you've left Thurles.

Just stay on the N62 heading towards Horse & Jockey and Cashel.

You'll reach the junction for the M8 about 6km outside Thurles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

Thanks for your help lads.

How far is it from Cork?(in terms of miles and time)

I was thinking of leaving Roscrea at 1, on a Sunday afternoon would that give me enough time to get back past Mahon Point by around 3:30(say 3:40 at the very latest)? I'd be working at 4, but if Mahon Point were bad, it could take 30 minutes to go to work from there alone even though work is only a mile and a bit from Mahon Point.

Barring mass in Roscrea, I should be fairly safe from avoiding a mass exodous of people driving away from a Church leaving at 1:D.

And how bad is this road that supposedly is capable of 100 kph? Is it the last few miles before Buttevant on the Cork-Limerick road(coming towards Buttevant from Cork) kind of bad, or is it possible that it is worse than the aforementioned road?

Lastly, how far would the Motorway be roughly from Roscrea(in miles)?

Thanks again for your help.

It's about 25 miles from Roscrea to the motorway. I've no idea how long that part of the trip would take on a Sunday a couple of weeks before Christmas.

Templemore shouldn't be a problem but Thurles might be jammed up.

The road is a national secondary route.

It's nowhere nears as good as the best bits of the old main Cork-Dublin road (!) but it's reasonably straight between Roscrea and Templemore (about 12 miles).

I've got no clue about the road surface quality - haven't been there in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks for your help lads.

How far is it from Cork?(in terms of miles and time)

I was thinking of leaving Roscrea at 1, on a Sunday afternoon would that give me enough time to get back past Mahon Point by around 3:30(say 3:40 at the very latest)? I'd be working at 4, but if Mahon Point were bad, it could take 30 minutes to go to work from there alone even though work is only a mile and a bit from Mahon Point.

You'll get through the tunnel in no time, but if it's your intention to take the Mahon Point exit, then you should be aware that you can give 15 minutes or more sitting in traffic on the sliproad, even on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

In response to the original poster's problem with the AA Route Planner. I have already e-mailed them about this and other issues that the planner has.

Last time I e-mailed them, they sorted out the problems quickly enough...

It's about 25 miles from Roscrea to the motorway. I've no idea how long that part of the trip would take on a Sunday a couple of weeks before Christmas.

Templemore shouldn't be a problem but Thurles might be jammed up.

The road is a national secondary route.

It's nowhere nears as good as the best bits of the old main Cork-Dublin road (!) but it's reasonably straight between Roscrea and Templemore (about 12 miles).

I've got no clue about the road surface quality - haven't been there in ages.

I get you - it's pretty bad then! Great!

The AA is reckoning on about 2 hours to get back (on the old road).

With it being the second last Sunday before Christmas and knowing how bad Mahon Point can be, as well as the possibility of getting caught in a jam in Thurles/Templemore if there was something going on there, do you think if I left Roscrea at around 12:45 I'd have enough time considering that I have to be back past Mahon Point for 4:00?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

With it being the second last Sunday before Christmas and knowing how bad Mahon Point can be, as well as the possibility of getting caught in a jam in Thurles/Templemore if there was something going on there, do you think if I left Roscrea at around 12:45 I'd have enough time considering that I have to be back past Mahon Point for 4:00?

If you're worried about it, don't time it so as to be driving into the car park at 4. Leave early enough and then relax before work.

I'd say that's plenty of time. Even if there's hold ups in Thurles and Templemore, you should do the 25 miles from Roscrea to the M8 in less than an hour.

From the M8 near Horse & Jockey to the outskirts of Cork (the Glanmire side of the Lee Tunnel) should take about an hour and a quarter at full speed, that gives you a good hour to get through the tunnel, past Mahon Point and into work.

Mushy wrote: »
    If you're worried about it, don't time it so as to be driving into the car park at 4. Leave early enough and then relax before work.

Yeah, I'm the type of person who would be worrying even if I left in loads of time.

As I live only 5-10 minutes from where I work, I'd be quite happy to be back with half an hour or more to spare:D! Like you say the last thing I want to be doing is only coming up by Mahon Point at 3:50 or something!
    I'd say that's plenty of time. Even if there's hold ups in Thurles and Templemore, you should do the 25 miles from Roscrea to the M8 in less than an hour.

From the M8 near Horse & Jockey to the outskirts of Cork (the Glanmire side of the Lee Tunnel) should take about an hour and a quarter at full speed, that gives you a good hour to get through the tunnel, past Mahon Point and into work.

That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks to you and everyone else for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement