Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ProEvo v Fifa Debate continues

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Pro Evo forever, people are turning against it out of spite basically. Anything that is successful evenutally gets knocked down even if it's still as good as ever.

I have played both FIFA and PES since release. In my opinion as a gamer, people are turning away from PES due to dreadful online lag and a lack of development progression over the last 2-3 years, despite obvious improvements from its main competitor.

I loved Fifa until Pro Evo became the better game. Now Fifa is the top footie sim and Pro Evo has a lot to do to get back to where it was. It's up to the deleopers to assess the problems and deal with them. I'll continue to buy what I think is the better game, and this year, its Fifa 09. PES has been in decline since 5/6.

That isn't blind loyalty, it's my right as a consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,349 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pro Evo is still the better football game for me. Online sucks but if you compare a 2 player offline PES game to a FIFA one there is no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Crunkussion

It's kind of funny the way that football is such a partisan sport that it causes people to divide over which game is better. I used to always play Pro Evo back in the days because FIFA was terrible but last year I bought FIFA 08 and I haven't looked back. I do own PES2009 because I think Become a Legend is better than Be A Pro but in overall match enjoyment I prefer to play FIFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brillianthenry

I'm a Fifa man through thick and thin, 06 was an awful awful game but they've been pretty good since, never was a pes fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Pro Evo forever, people are turning against it out of spite basically. Anything that is successful evenutally gets knocked down even if it's still as good as ever.

What an incredibly misguided comment. People are turning against it because it is fairly crap now. Pretty simple really. PES 2009 is a really shoddy game, i tried it for a while so i could form an opinion based on actually playing the game too before anyone says anything. The gap between FIFA & PES now is enormous! FIFA is the king.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Backed PES for years, still love it but it's for me anyway the better online in fifa and the game modes. That have won me over this year.

I do however feel like i'm cheating on my wife sort of way with my current love afair with fifa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 pcworldsucks

Only homos play FIFA. Real men play Pro Evo.

Only homos play FIFA. Real men play Pro Evo.

Are you 12 years old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

Pro is a better 2 player game it flows better and the gameplay is much easier which makes it more enjoyable.

I think FIFA has to be the better single player game, the career mode is much more advanced plus its far more realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 marshall11

Used to be mad about pro and hated anyone who disagreed but have turned to fifa this year. Me and a mate bought the new pro expecting to be sitting playing for the rest of the year.....we played it once and threw it away. Fifa is unbelievable this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

marshall11 wrote: »
    Used to be mad about pro and hated anyone who disagreed but have turned to fifa this year. Me and a mate bought the new pro expecting to be sitting playing for the rest of the year.....we played it once and threw it away. Fifa is unbelievable this year

Same boat, was a die hard Pro fan boy until last year really, loved every single iteration really especially the PS2 games, I think the Pro games have lost some of its spark since the transition to 360/PS3, maybe it's just me but they don't seem as fluid or fun, seems like a bit of a slog playing through the games and the online lag last year ruined any fun for me.

Never bought a FIFA since 98 until this year after I rented it first, absolutely love it now, plays a much better game of football IMO and is more enjoyable.
    Would love for the Pro series though to reinvigorate itself and make it a extra tough decision in future years though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 marshall11

True, same here never touched one since fifa 98 (great game indoor and all) they used to say fifa was to 'boxy' like playing in boxes but now thats the case for pro I thought. And your right it has been since the transition to the ps3/xbox. Maybe they will get it right next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Mr Moon wrote: »
    No debate this season, Fifa has overtaken PES as the best football sim!!

I will hold my judgement until I play PES on the wii, last years was awesome except for no master league but Fifa on wii is terrible.
    Used to be PES only on PS2 but latests Fifas on the big consoles are giving it a run for it's money. would probably go for fifa on the xbox/ps3

and +1 for sensible soccer (the best and timeless football sim)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Crispin wrote: »
    I will hold my judgement until I play PES on the wii, last years was awesome

Was the gameplay different on the Wii than the 360? Because it was dire on the 360, and thats pretty widely acknowledged.

I've literally lost thousands of hours on ISS, and PES. I loved every iteration, but PES2008 was poor. PES2009 is a marked improvement, but still way behind FIFA'09 IMO.

2008 was the first time I could honestly say that FIFA was better than PES, and I was a hardcore PES fan. FIFA has taken massive leaps forward, PES has taken massive leaps backwards.

I like the better game. For years, that was PES, but now, sadly, this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

Fifa lost me in late 1990's....PES all the way now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Was the gameplay different on the Wii than the 360? Because it was dire on the 360, and thats pretty widely acknowledged.

Yeh the control system was fantastic- only problem was finding an opponent who could use the controls. Took me like a week to master it fully and then I had no master league to play because they removed it on the wii version. so annoying.
    But you could send players on dummy runs and direct all passes exactly where you wanted.

New version comes out march and has master league and even better control system!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Where is the they are both s**t option in the poll. I have both of them and am utterly underwhelmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

jpjc05 wrote: »
    Fifa lost me in late 1990's....PES all the way now

So have you played FIFA/PES08 or FIFA/PES09? How do you think they compare?
    Indie18 wrote: »
    Where is the they are both s**t option in the poll

Yawn :rolleyes: Thread is supposed to be about which one is better.... failing that, you could have at least stated why you think they both suck.......

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    So have you played FIFA/PES08 or FIFA/PES09? How do you think they compare?

Yawn :rolleyes: Thread is supposed to be about which one is better.... failing that, you could have at least stated why you think they both suck.......

They have both failed to make any thing different from the last feeble efforts and they are just boring. As for which one is better, they are both equally as bad as each other. Two very flawed games. There you go, now off to bed with you.

They have both failed to make any thing different from the last feeble efforts and they are just boring. As for which one is better, they are both equally as bad as each other. Two very flawed games. There you go, now off to bed with you.

Fair enough if that's your opinion, but why not trade them in or something if they are both crap?

Also, there's no need to act like a tool to people is there?

• Advertisement

Also, there's no need to act like a tool to people is there?

No there is not but how did I? If it was about the whole off to bed thing, that was a joke because the other post was started with a yawn. It was nothing personal. I'm not petty enough to be like that with people over computer games.

No there is not but how did I? If it was about the whole off to bed thing, that was a joke because the other post was started with a yawn. It was nothing personal. I'm not petty enough to be like that with people over computer games.

Oh ok, my mistake!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

There you go, now off to bed with you.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

You seem sound.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

ANYway...time to chime in on the latest pes v fifa debate.

I've played ISS through to 09. I've played the orig fifa series on snes/megadrive only to stop completely around the time of PES->PES5. Some of the best games ever. I have yet to spend more time on any game series than on the PES series. PES6 was OK. 2008 was very very poor imo and 2009 in no way makes up for it. IMO! PES 2009 is a very poor game.

I played Fifa 06 and 07. Didn't really like them. Thought Fifa 08 was good but the unresponsive players grated with me. UEFA 08 was better and Fifa 09 is IMO the best soccer game ever. Has its problems for sure but there are so many positives.

Also, this Ultiamte Team DLC arriving tomorrow promises much :D

brianon wrote: »
    Also, this Ultiamte Team DLC arriving tomorrow promises much :D

Any word on pricing yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Yeah except I can't remember. I think they've dropped the price though from initial announcement. Something like a tenner now I think.

Has a 5 game demo and bronze card pack. I will be picking it up for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Just bought Fifa today for the first time since 1997.
    Just sick of PES now to be honest and I feel like a traitor.

I'll vote after I get to play it a good bit to make my mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Keith186 wrote: »
    Just bought Fifa today for the first time since 1997.
    Just sick of PES now to be honest and I feel like a traitor.

I'll vote after I get to play it a good bit to make my mind up.

Keith, what did you make of FIFA 09? Im thinking of picking it up today, same as you in that Im browned off with PES for the following reasons.

1. Licencing: In previous versions it was tolerated due to gameplay. But now its tiresome having to rename all the premiership teams and International teams, update option files etc etc.

2. Online lag is disgraceful.

3. Gameplay is not as good as previous versions and the way a player can dribble and wiggle from one end of the pitch to the other is ridiculous and totally unrealistic. Looks like a game of pac man watching Messi run around in circles.

4. Player condition and fatigue: Again, totally unrealistic, lucky to get one full game out of your players without them getting injured, tired or poor condition.

5. Player ratings: Cannot judge how well a player is rated? is it based on goals passes, distanec covered and its totally inconsistent.

6. Master League: More to do with licencing but they could at least sort out the leagues instead of manually having to put teams in the correct league so that Man U are not in the same division are Werder Bremer.

7. Complacency: Ultimately this will be PES downfall. Konami and PES had a huge and loyal cult following for years, I personally have been playing the game since the ISS series and for years customers have been telling Konami to sort out the licencing and lag. Konami didnt listen and now customers are leaving PES in droves to jump ship to FIFA.

I'm going to buy FIFA 09 today and I'll repost my verdict later in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BeeSee

persuaded all my silly fifa headed friends to switch to pes over the years, and they all did. think i'll be persuading them all to switch to fifa for 2010, at least then could play the frickin thing online

Advertisement