Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What area is the northside shopping centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Well I'm old enough to remember when that whole area was nothing but fields. There used to be a crossroads there where the traffic lights are now and it was Clonshaugh Cross. Then to the Santry side there was a twisty road on the side where the shopping centre is now and that was known as Clonshaugh Lane... up there used to be Clonshaugh Riding School (shurrup it was horses) and Clonshaugh Post Office. So I suppose it must be....

Clonshaugh!

Then again Ballymun Cross is now Santry Cross.

So now I'm lost! Anyone be able to direct me to Fairfield please? :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Rashers wrote: »
    Well I'm old enough to remember when that whole area was nothing but fields. There used to be a crossroads there where the traffic lights are now and it was Clonshaugh Cross. Then to the Santry side there was a twisty road on the side where the shopping centre is now and that was known as Clonshaugh Lane... up there used to be Clonshaugh Riding School (shurrup it was horses) and Clonshaugh Post Office. So I suppose it must be....

Clonshaugh!

How long ago was this..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Dub13 wrote: »
    How long ago was this..?

Probably pre-decimalisation!! :p

In all seriousness though, my grandad used a butchers in the shopping centre and used to say he was going to Clonshaugh to get his meat. It kind of stuck with me. The problem is the developers getting the boundaries moved over the years

Dub13 wrote: »
    How long ago was this..?

Beginning of the '60s. I worked as a messenger boy for Liptons (they used to have a branch on St Brigids Rd at the roundabout) and used to cycle around that whole area on my delivery bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

SteveC wrote: »
    I would agree, there are several definitions of Coolock though ranging from the village & the parish to the barony (which covers most of north Dublin).
    I remember reading a planning permission notice in the airport last year, the full address included 'Barony of Coolock' at the end.

More here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolock

I would like to take this opportunity to claim the vacant throne(?) as the Baron of Coolock. You lot, as my loyal serfs shall pay me a tithe of five groats and a buxom maiden for the privilege of using Northside SC. That is all, back to your plagues and pestilence. Peasants!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Collie D wrote: »
    I would like to take this opportunity to claim the vacant throne(?) as the Baron of Coolock. You lot, as my loyal serfs shall pay me a tithe of five groats and a buxom maiden for the privilege of using Northside SC. That is all, back to your plagues and pestilence. Peasants!
    Buxom maidens ftw.. but what the hell is a groat? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Collie D wrote: »

To thy I throw down the gauntlet..

6643C-gauntlet.gif

And demand a death match outside 'The Blacker' @ tomorrow's dawn for ya olde title.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Buxom maidens ftw.. but what the hell is a groat? :D

they are the little skinny guys in tracksuits with the bum fluff taches you see hanging around outside the leisure plex. I don't even want to know why you would want 5 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

what the hell is a groat? :D
    One of these. ;)

Groat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

copacetic wrote: »
    they are the little skinny guys in tracksuits with the bum fluff taches you see hanging around outside the leisure plex. I don't even want to know why you would want 5 of them.
    No, those are scrotes. Common mistake, btw. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's on the northside.

:P

Coolock.

Google is a useful tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mairt wrote: »
    To thy I throw down the gauntlet..

6643C-gauntlet.gif

And demand a death match outside 'The Blacker' @ tomorrow's dawn for ya olde title.

well....who won?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Des wrote: »
    well....who won?

I slept it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'm from Clonshaugh, and to be honest I wouldn't call it Coolock. If I was pushed, I'd call it Coolock, but for me, it's just a little too far away from there. By that reasoning, Kilmore is much more closer.

In fact, I've never actually referred to it as being in any area. I've worked in there and went to school in Colaiste Dhulaigh beside it, and on resumes, I had always just used Dublin 17 as the address. It's definitely not Clonshaugh either.

Like I said, if pushed, I'd go for Coolock, I guess.

For what it's worth, looking at a copy of the 1937 ordnance survey map here, the two areas where the shopping centre is now were called Bonnybrook and Shrubs (both named for big houses in the vicinity which are no longer there). Bonnybrook is still a name that's used in the area, but Shrubs is non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 barbados

Northside is defo Coolock, from Northside to the plex and back up the malahide road to Darndale is coolcok, All Dublin 17. Northside has a post code of Dublin 17. it can't be Kilmore, as they use Dublin 5 as there postcode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would say clonshaugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

barbados wrote: »
    Northside is defo Coolock, from Northside to the plex and back up the malahide road to Darndale is coolcok, All Dublin 17. Northside has a post code of Dublin 17. it can't be Kilmore, as they use Dublin 5 as there postcode.

Erm

Coolock
    Village is in Dublin 5 too.

My mother's house, which has a Coolock address, is also in Dublin 5.

Kilmore West is not Coolock, but the Moon Estate, and the estate further along, opposite the funeral home, Coolock Garda Station, Coolock Village are all in Dublin 5 and in Coolock.

Actually, Dublin 17 has less of a claim to being Coolock than the places mentioned, as they are in closer proximity to the original Coolock Village.

The Oscar Traynor, which seperates D17 from D5 runs through Coolock.

I lived in Coolock at the time the post codes were introduced (see my earlier post in this thread) and we became Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Regardless of where it is it should be avoided at all costs.

The smell of urine in the place stings the nostrils off ye.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

BogWog wrote: »
    Can anyone here from that area tell me what area the northside shopping centres in. Everyone I know from Coolock tells me its not in Coolock but they can't tell me what the area really is. If its not Coolock what is it Santry? The Plex is definitely Coolock noone can dispute that and the Northsides in between Santry and the Plex so its either Coolock, Santy, or some area in between Coolock and Santry.

Q-lock, Bud. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement