Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned By OscarBravo

Options
  • 11-12-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hi I was banned by Oscar Bravo for
    Reason: Breach of Peace

I quoted something I heard on the Late Late show a few years back where a deported student was interviewed.

I want my ban lifted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Did you pm the mod? Can you provide links? Log out,go to the post and copy the addresses,then log back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

*mono* wrote: »
    Hi I was banned by Oscar Bravo for

I quoted something I heard on the Late Late show a few years back where a deported student was interviewed.

I want my ban lifted

So you think because something was ok to say on the Late Late Show that it should be ok to say here? Really? REALLY?

Now I don't know you but I'm gonna try help you out. Ok?

You think what you said might have been against the rules? Don't answer straight away.

You might not like the rules but by posting on a forum you are basically saying "I have read the rules and I will abid by them".

How long is the ban for? A Week?

Take a look around the rest of Boards.ie - there are some great forums and some are more flexible than others. Just make sure to read the charters.

Do you like magic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis a right of passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Sabotage wrote: »
    So you think because something was ok to say on the Late Late Show that it should be ok to say here? Really? REALLY?

Now I don't know you but I'm gonna try help you out. Ok?

You think what you said might have been against the rules? Don't answer straight away.

You might not like the rules but by posting on a forum you are basically saying "I have read the rules and I will abid by them".

How long is the ban for? A Week?

Take a look around the rest of Boards.ie - there are some great forums and some are more flexible than others. Just make sure to read the charters.

Do you like magic?

To be fair,it depends on what was posted,context etc. I haven't seen it, so I've no idea. I blame pat kenny though. Hes a naughty man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

you posted this:
    The EU stance on Refugee's is they apply in the European country where they first arrive, as Ireland has no direct transport links with many if not all countries in Africa, this woman is making her claim for asylum in the wrong country, therefore her claim is null and void, hence "so-called" hence all bets are off until a valid asylum claim is made!

Which we've covered in several Politics threads, 3 times in the current Politics thread and once on feedback.

However, in light of the information you have given here, if you like, I can ask Oscarbravo to unban you and then I will immediately ban you for:

1. Ignoring my warnings
    I posted several times in the thread on the matter

2. Plagiarism
    You're now claiming that you referenced the opinion of another source without attributing a reference

3. Trolling.
    I don't believe you

4. Accusing another poster of trolling/name calling
    We only allow the reported post to complain about posts

I bet my ban is longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'm assuming the post you're referring to was:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58223314#post58223314

?

In which case, there's another thread here worth reading on the fact that the Mods had decreed that they were going to ban people who they felt spread misinformation concerning the Dublin II regulation.

See here for more info:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055431637

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

You have received an infraction at boards.ie
    Dear *mono*,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

There has been ample warning given on the thread about trying to perpetrate that myth. Banned for a week.

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58223314
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T runner
    Did you not even read the previous post? Grown ups are talking here.
    Do you normally go into a strop and resort to name calling when people disagree with you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HollyB
    Why "so-called"?

If they have come seeking asylum, then surely the term asylum seekers applies, at least until such a time as they are either granted asylum or until their application for asylum is rejected and the appeals process is exhausted, at which time they become either refugees or failed asylum seekers.
    The EU stance on Refugee's is they apply in the European country where they first arrive, as Ireland has no direct transport links with many if not all countries in Africa, this woman is making her claim for asylum in the wrong country, therefore her claim is null and void, hence "so-called" hence all bets are off until a valid asylum claim is made!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why dont we all just shut up and let the judicial system decide if the woman has a case? Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Feedback, outside noise not needed from regular users.

Overheal wrote: »
    Why dont we all just shut up and let the judicial system decide if the woman has a case? Christ.

Post reported....

• Advertisement

I pm'd the mod and he is refusing to deal with this

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I apologise for mistakenly using the word "perpetrate" in the infraction message, when it clearly should have been "perpetuate". Beyond that, my opinion stands.

*mono*, I told you to bring this to Help Desk, not Feedback, and I also told you to be prepared to cite relevant international and national law to support your position. Until you do, I have nothing more to add.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I apologise for mistakenly using the word "perpetrate" in the infraction message, when it clearly should have been "perpetuate". Beyond that, my opinion stands.

*mono*, I told you to bring this to Help Desk, not Feedback, and I also told you to be prepared to cite relevant international and national law to support your position. Until you do, I have nothing more to add.

Please Read:

http://ec.europa.eu/news/justice/081203_1_en.htm

Source European Union Information Site

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj/asylum/criteria/fsj_asylum_criteria_en.htm

Source European Union Information Site

In case you did not read the above here is a direct quote

"Asylum seekers are supposed to hand in their applications in the first EU country they reach, but many travel illegally through Europe to reach a country where they have a better chance of being granted residency.

The Dublin regulation allows EU countries to return refugees to the country of entry. Now the commission is proposing to set up a mechanism for suspending transfers to countries struggling with large influxes of refugees"

Response Please!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I had a long and tiring exchange with a keyboard hammerer on the Politics forum over a year ago where I repeatedly took the time to explain the Dublin regulations (and indeed, at the time, to introduce the Dublin regulations as opposed to the old convention) so I've little intention of doing that all over again.

So I'll put it simply: the Dublin regulations concern the responsibility of the country (not the applicant) with regard to the order of precedence for a country to be considered the processing authority. It also includes procedures for countries to make other countries (if they wish) to process an application if that country is higher up the precedence list, assuming that the asylum-seeker has lived in the that particular country for less than six months. Additionally, passing through the transfer area of the airport doesn't necessarily constitute entry into that country and isn't legally regarded as such for the purpose of asylum. Onus is on the country, country's immigration authorities and the country's government rather than the individual to implement any of the above, even where the regulations apply in a particular case - a country can decide to process the application itself at any time through action or eventually be required to through inaction.

That wasn't the start of a debate. And I'm not having a discussion about anything but the core part of the complaint in the Help Desk forum. If we were going to have a conversation about politics, that would be what the Politics forum is for. I am however, concerned with regard to this particular issue about the misinformation that is spread by people who haven't fully read things, if I remember rightly, it led to the only case I can think of where I directly called someone a liar on the politics forum as a result (on the basis that they were saying something untrue and knew it to be untrue, given that I'd spent hours explaining it to them). It's equivalent to shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theatre where there is no fire and the misinformation has historically cropped up often enough and loudly enough to be a disruption on the forum.

Can the Mod who banned me get back to me and let m know if I have done enough research on this issue

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Can the Mod who banned me get back to me and let m know if I have done enough research on this issue
    Was it supposed to be an exam?

If you read and understood my post, I've done the research for you.

Advertisement