Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Still no real Motorway Service Area on the M7/M8 - the primary inter-city route in the state (between Dublin and Cork).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Isn't there a Barack Obama Plaza down there some where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Isn't there a Barack Obama Plaza down there some where?

Nah thats further down the M7 near to Limerick. There is Cashel on the M8 (absolutely hopeless and nowhere near enough parking) and Manor Stone (which is too small but somewhat useful).

An NRA one at Portlaoise before the M7/8 split and a second somewhere near Fermoy or Watergrasshill are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Has Midway in Portlaoise ever considered getting some fuel pumps in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

flazio wrote: »
    Has Midway in Portlaoise ever considered getting some fuel pumps in?

Has been permission put in for an adjoining station a few times. Not sure why nothing has ever progressed.

Patww79 wrote: »

I never heard of Manor Stone but looked it up on Google. Apparently its a Topaz place which, according to Topaz website is "situated at Junction 3 on the M8". Fine - except where is Junction 3?? What significant town might it be near for example?? All Topaz gives is somewhere called "Ballacolla".
    Google maps do not give junction numbers. I looked up "Junctions on M8" on Google and drew a blank.
    Apart from this specific Junction does anyone know a reliable place to find where any motorway junction is located? I have found this to be a problem previously: trying to locate Irish motorway Junctions on internet maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ernest wrote: »
    Fine - except where is Junction 3?? What town might it be near for example??Google maps do not give junction numbers. I looked up "Junctions on M8" on Google and drew a blank.

Yes they do ...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.8667843,-7.4857222,15.25z?hl=en

See the little black squares with "3" in them?

Alun wrote: »
    Yes they do ...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.8667843,-7.4857222,15.25z?hl=en

See the little black squares with "3" in them?

Yes - but first you have to know where the junction actually is in order to zoom in and find the tiny little black square you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes - but first you have to know where the junction actually is in order to zoom in and find the tiny little black square you mention.
    You don't have to zoom in that far ... 500m on the scale down in the bottom right corner. It's not that difficult.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    You don't have to zoom in that far ... 500m on the scale down in the bottom right corner. It's not that difficult.

Like I said, you need to know the location you're zooming towards and then of course its not that difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Like I said, you need to know the location you're zooming towards and then of course its not that difficult

I would suggest you go eat a Snickers you diva, but I empathise with you seeing as there is no MSA in which you can purchase said Snickers.
    Your not you when you're hungry .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I might add that the service area near junction 3 has no outdoor seating - bit of a drag if you want a fag on a fine day :(

J1 is the split, J2 was never built.

Junction 2 is reserved for that faraway day when you can turn left joining the M7 from the south.

Doubtless that will cost a multiple of what it would have if it was included in the original J1 in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I dont like our numbering of motorway/motorway intersections. In France for example they are signed as intersections and exits are numbered.

That way the same intersection can't have different numbers depending on the direction of approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I dont like our numbering of motorway/motorway intersections. In France for example they are signed as intersections and exits are numbered.

That way the same intersection can't have different numbers depending on the direction of approach.

I hate the way in which radial terminals are numbered as 1 - that IMO is stupid. For example, the M50/N4 interchange should be just M50 Jct 7 with N4 Jct 1 being the Liffey Valley Interchange. That to me would make far more sense.

Middle Man wrote: »
    I hate the way in which radial terminals are numbered as 1 - that IMO is stupid. For example, the M50/N4 interchange should be just M50 Jct 7 with N4 Jct 1 being the Liffey Valley Interchange. That to me would make far more sense.

That's a practice we copied from the UK. But if the Red Cow was just J7 - what would Newlands Cross be now?

Junction 0.5?

On the M11 heading North you are told the turn-off for the M50 is J17 and Exit 17....bit of a surprise as you've just passed Exit 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Works if you consider that the eastern bypass would be M50, so

M11 J1 = Sandyford
    M11 J2 = Carrickmines
    M11 J3 = Wyatville etc
    M11 J4 = M50/current M11 spur (as currently)
    M11 J5 = Bray North
    etc

• Advertisement

Works if you consider that the eastern bypass would be M50, so

M11 J1 = Sandyford
    M11 J2 = Carrickmines
    M11 J3 = Wyatville etc
    M11 J4 = M50/current M11 spur (as currently)
    M11 J5 = Bray North
    etc

Won't be holding my breath for the Eastern Bypass. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

http://www.clarecoco.ie/roads-and-transport/news/have-your-say-site-selection-phase-for-the-proposed-m18-motorway-service-area.html

Public Consultation on Proposed MSA on the M18 between Junction 7 and 12 (Sixmilebridge to Ennis) tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

any update on the court case re M11 gorey Service station ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

BoatMad wrote: »
    any update on the court case re M11 gorey Service station ?

I live near enough to site and still not open. Havent heard anything on the grapevine either in regards to opening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I live near enough to site and still not open. Havent heard anything on the grapevine either in regards to opening time.

Apparently applegreen/tedcastles are challenging topaz over who will operate the petrol station. They must be very brave guys to challenge one of Big Denis's operations given his litigiousness nature.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/consortium-objects-to-ruling-on-motorway-service-stations-1.2389201

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

dogmatix wrote: »
    Apparently applegreen/tedcastles are challenging topaz over who will operate the petrol station. They must be very brave guys to challenge one of Big Denis's operations given his litigiousness nature.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/consortium-objects-to-ruling-on-motorway-service-stations-1.2389201
    That's October 13th
    How the hell can a judicial hearing/review take so bloody long?
    Three months later and not a word on the three MSA's in question

• Advertisement

dogmatix wrote: »

Topaz is under sale currently to a Canadian firm.

Advertisement